The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

So, You Don't Want to Be Big Do You?

Ok, I'm just typing this up, as a semi-rant, semi-advice thread.

Often, you hear the words, "Oh I don't want to be big." This is common among women, and among a ton of guys, generally quite often the overweight ones, or the guys that are ripped because of fast metabolisms despite whatever diets they've tried and failed on to get big.

Let me be the first to say, if you don't want to be big, don't worry, because you won't. Do you think that all the big bodybuilders, or guys with large amounts of muscle mass, just happened to pick up a few weights and accidentally blew up into some monster? Sorry, things don't work like that, especially in the world of natural lifters.

The amount of work you have to put in, slow metabolism or not, to achieve significant gains in muscle mass, is huge. So if you think you go to the gym and god forbid, put the pin in the stack one plate heavier, you are going to turn into godzilla, think again. You may get stronger, you may reap the rewards of lifting heavier weights in a progressive fashion can give you, but you will not all of a sudden get big.

Think of building a house, and all that goes into such an endeavour. This is the same as building your body. Lifting is a requirement yes, is lifting heavy, or extremely heavy a requirement? Not really. Continuous lifting, and fatigue, along with eating a diet with a decent macronutrient breakdown, of above maintenance calories, and plenty of sleep, and recovery time, are all key components of "getting big."

So, if you think that going to the gym and training 3 or 4 times a week, and adding an extra plate, or adding an extra exercise, or pushing yourself to the limit is going to accidentally cause you to turn green and gain 300lbs, don't, because it's not going to happen.

So train regularly with a routine suited to your strength, size or performance goals, and then allow your diet to facilitate whatever size goals, or energy levels you require for whatever you are trying to achieve.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i don't know what you're talking about.

i did some 6lb dumbbell kickbacks and now i look like she-hulk.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Originally posted by Tryska
    i did some 6lb dumbbell kickbacks and now i look like she-hulk.
    Ohhhh, will you have my babies?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

they'll come out green.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I agree... theres a thread a few below "Why don't many guys get big" (or words to that affect) and it was mentioned in there... As i said in that one - I know quite a few people who assume that going to the gym regularly will suddenly turn you into a monster. Though i don't want to really have a go at these certain individuals, what i will say it that it's slightly offensive sometimes.. in that the hours most of us put in that gym to make that slow progression can be dismissed by someone who thinks they would make huge gains in a couple of sessions.....
    EL - This may have not been your point exactly but just felt like stepping on the soap box for a mo.... that is all
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Yeah, that is exactly my point. I am not a bodybuilder but I know if I was a competitive bodybuilder or even non-competitive, I'd take great offense at people that say such things, as if discounting the hard work it takes to truly achieve significant lean muscle gains. It's just another form of ignorance in this game that must be overcome.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

That was a well-controlled and well-said rant Getting "too big" is the last thing you have to worry about.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Re: So, You Don't Want to Be Big Do You?

Originally posted by ElPietro
    Let me be the first to say, if you don't want to be big, don't worry, because you won't. Do you think that all the big bodybuilders, or guys with large amounts of muscle mass, just happened to pick up a few weights and accidentally blew up into some monster? Sorry, things don't work like that, especially in the world of natural lifters.
    This is what I still don't understand. Some of the people I have talked to that have lifted for years still don't seem to grasp this concept. Women especially but its still seen on men. I'm working with 2 girls right now trying to get them onto a regular lifting routine and to begin with they were both like that. It took me forever to convince them otherwise. But now that they have been lifting they are feeling much better and are not worried about getting bigger.

I wonder where the notion of just blowing up and getting huge came from. Did people just see somebody working out that big and thougth, "Wow, he got big just by doing that. I don't want to do that or I'll be like that." I just don't understand.

*** oh and green is my favorite color.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 07-11-2003 at 08:48 AM.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Yeah, that is exactly my point. I am not a bodybuilder but I know if I was a competitive bodybuilder or even non-competitive, I'd take great offense at people that say such things, as if discounting the hard work it takes to truly achieve significant lean muscle gains. It's just another form of ignorance in this game that must be overcome.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

It doesnt help any when Ronnie Coleman goes on late-night TV and says he doesnt use steroids and he eats McDonalds to get big If he takes out the importance of steroids and diet in getting huge, the only thing left is lifting weights. Therefore, I can see how some people might think lifting weights = getting huge. They are dead wrong, but I can kind-of see why they might think it...
    Last edited by Y2A; 07-11-2003 at 09:07 AM.
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Great post ElPietro!! Let's face it, those Weider magazine ads don't really help either. They had one featuring Mike M a few years back advertising the new MegaMass 4000 and showed the "amazing" progress he made in just 16 weeks.

Hell, he looks better out of shape than 99% of all guys lifting in the gym! Natural lifting is most definately different. I've been at this for nine years....half clean, half dirty. I LOVE the way I look clean. My face is thin and I'm not holding that dreaded water weight. But, the gains are slow and I've had to alter my diet substantially. I fully believe Coleman could eat a McDonalds and get huge. So did I! But yeah, I agree with you that the majority of guys in the gym are never gonna get huge. My best advice to most lifters is to get as lean as possible. I look much bigger at 193lbs at 6% than I ever did at 235lbs with approximately 13%. Great post bro!! Sometimes you just have to tell it like it is!
    Brad
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Word.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

nice post.

word up

So.. I'll never get big unless I use the juice?

Weight : 340 [225]
    Bodyfat: 42.3% [10.0%]
    Height: 6'5

Check out my workout blog: link
    What did I eat today? FitDay

You can make some great improvements man but you will NOT look like the pros in the magazines. Just train hard and set small goals for yourself, and when you attain them, make more goals. Dude, if you are 307lbs and dieted to 250 you would be considered HUGE!! lol!
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

I don't want to look like someone in a magazine. I want to look like this .

Is that attainable without the 'roids?
    Last edited by technogeeky; 07-11-2003 at 01:58 PM.
    Weight : 340 [225]
    Bodyfat: 42.3% [10.0%]
    Height: 6'5

Check out my workout blog: link
    What did I eat today? FitDay

bone crusher
    great post LP

I think so tech. If you are 300 and... lets say 35% bodyfat, that means 195 is LBM. 195/.9 (10%bf) = 215 lbs. So, if you get to 215 without losing or gaining any muscle, you'd probably look something like that.

tons of hard work

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar

Often, you hear the words, "Oh I don't want to be big." This is common among women, and among a ton of guys, generally quite often the overweight ones, or the guys that are ripped because of fast metabolisms despite whatever diets they've tried and failed on to get big.

a bit sensitive today?

yah true, but nothing that a little schooling won't fix. what it really means is that they want to be toned and not buffed, they just don't know the difference in expressing this.

MACHINE
    If you want to get "toned", you can do that without the gym. Adjust your diet, and you'll lose fat.

The point is that you can't be "buffed" without rediculous diet and training comittment. You can blow up a little if you eat everything in sight and train like a madman, but if you keep the diet in check, it won't matter what you do in the gym. Train hard and eat right, and you'll be where you want to be. Results are 80% diet and 20% workout related.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

or the guys that are ripped because of fast metabolisms despite whatever diets they've tried and failed on to get big.

The amount of work you have to put in, slow metabolism or not, to achieve significant gains in muscle mass, is huge.
    In defense of high metabolisms, let me say this: It is FRIGGIN hard to put on weight. And weight gain is almost inversely proportional to the amount of time you spend in the gym. More time = less results. Quality time = more results. The hard part is EATING. Eating until you feel ill, and then eating more, is more unpleasant and harder than any workout.

Awesome post, ElP. And I can't wait to see some green babies with monster shoulders.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I love these type of posts. We need a section for inspirational posts.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Although it is that persons decision to live their life like that, I also agree that ignorance is a brick wall that they keep running into.

^^ maybe it should be called "Slap in the face forum"

Tryska is on a roll :P
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.