Thread: Real Egg vs. Egg product

Hybrid View

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar

Real Egg vs. Egg product

hey yo. im a government employee and i dont get to eat at home very much. i eat breakfast at work- i mostly try to eat things like eggs, fruit etc...trying to keep it halfway healthy. however, i eat scrambled eggs. and with scrambled eggs, the cooks at the dining hall use 'egg product.' i havent went to the store and read any labels, but is 'egg product' essentially the same in terms of nutrition value as real eggs? (for those who dont know what egg product is, think 'egg beaters' without the elderly person standing next to it )
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

egg beaters are mostly egg whites.

"Egg Beaters is 99% real egg whites. We add some vitamins and minerals so it looks and tastes just like a shell egg. As always, Egg Beaters contains no artificial flavoring or preservatives. Since it is made from egg whites, Egg Beaters is naturally fat free and cholesterol free, with the same protein as shell eggs. Since there is no egg yolk, Egg Beaters has less than half the calories of shell eggs, but all of the taste. Plus, it's pasteurized for safety and convenience. Egg Beaters can be a perfect part of your next meal or recipe to complement your healthy eating lifestyle."
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Aren't eggs still better? Or should I be eating egg beaters?

LMK
    Weight : 340 [225]
    Bodyfat: 42.3% [10.0%]
    Height: 6'5

Check out my workout blog: link
    What did I eat today? FitDay

what is it exactly that resturants use in their eggs......there great!!!i can never make eggs at home that are as good as going out. why is that?

Originally posted by greekboy80
    what is it exactly that resturants use in their eggs......there great!!!i can never make eggs at home that are as good as going out. why is that?
    1 stick of butter per 2 eggs
    "We fight our battles, we wage our wars, we settle the score, with honor and blood" - Atreyu

Dontate to my favorite charity!

Originally posted by technogeeky
    Aren't eggs still better? Or should I be eating egg beaters?

LMK
    No need to spend money on the egg beaters if you can get the real eggs at a cheaper price. A combination of whole eggs and egg whites would be the best IMO. It is an easy way to get some fat and protein in your meal.

Although I must say Egg Beaters are convenient when whipping up an omelete

its not the butter i have tried everthing!

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar
    it's easier to figure out what is missing if you describe how your eggs turn out. my omeletettes turn out pretty darn good, imho

Here are some tips to make a great omelette:

1. If you have a problem with your eggs become dried out, add a teaspoon of water to your eggs while you are scrambling them in a bowl. Also add a splash of milk if you like.

2. Heat your fillings in the pan before hand, except the cheese.

3. Use olive oil instead of butter, you might find it easier to flip the omelette in the pan and it does give nice flavor. It also gives a nice finish to the outside of the omelette.

4. Push the fillings to one side of the pan, and then pour your scrambled eggs in on top. Lift the fillings a bit to get the egg underneath. If you are adding cheese, add them now. Keep lifting the edge of the omelette and tip the pan to allow the wet egg to run to the edges.

5. Keep the heat at medium, don't let it get too hot or you'll overcook the outside while the middle is still goopy.

I also found that if you like throwing in some cheese in your omelette..put it in right before the omelette is done..or else the cheese will lose its taste if you throw it in too early