Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new world bench record set!!!!!!!

Wannabebig Member

new world bench record set!!!!!!!

he hit 825 not logn ago, and hits 875!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.lentv.net/MOV00584.MPG

Q: at what do you determine that you should stop bulking-up and eating bigger meals for mass, and start cutting?
    A: once i ran out of dumbells and all the olympic bars were all bent up i was like well might as well start cutting

deadlift: 500
    squat: 455
    bench: 295

Senior of Kinesiology
    Dang!
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

3:16
    he took about 6 seconds to complete the rep. thats quite a while with 875 pounds.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I got to talk to Mendy yesterda, great guy! To bad he is retiring!

Kc

Holy ****, that is awesome.

I wonder what it would feel like to own the title of world's highest bencher.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    It would feel f00kin awesome!
    w00t

At the risk of belaboring a point, I have a problem with the lift. At another meet he was unable to get 875 (or something close) to even touch his chest! What the heck does it mean to do 875 if you can barely lower the bar to your chest?

Other than from the competitive aspect I can no longer get excited about any records in powerlifting (other than the deadlift) due to the ridiculous equipment some federations allow.

It looks like the world bench is getting closer to the world dead.
    Squat - 505
    Bench - 325
    Deadlift - 550
    Total - 1380@175

Wannabebig Member
    what equipment would be ridiculous?
    Q: at what do you determine that you should stop bulking-up and eating bigger meals for mass, and start cutting?
    A: once i ran out of dumbells and all the olympic bars were all bent up i was like well might as well start cutting

deadlift: 500
    squat: 455
    bench: 295

Originally posted by dkliewer
    It looks like the world bench is getting closer to the world dead.
    It may very well surpass it, since there's no real equipment for deads.

Simplistic
    I agree with Chris.

What was the prior record?

There's a problem in powerlfiting, I'm sorry to say. Say what you want about all sports having equipment, but no sports have world records broken by over 9% in a few months, with no appreciable performance increase in the athletes.

I believe equipment is here to stay, but this seems a little beyond ridiculous. It's hard to get excited about 875, it really is, because it almost ceases to have meaning.

That said, congratulations to him. Unbelievable feat, it truly is. But I'm worried about where the sport will go after this.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Thanks for the vid! That was amazing! I agree the equipment is getting out of hand. I'm sure he is well into the mid to high 600's raw, maybe even more. Still damn impressive either way!
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Of the driver ilk
    His best raw is in the 700's.
    "42"

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Nice! I wish I was his spotter
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Xg74
    His best raw is in the 700's.

Right, I have seen 711. In any event, there are obviously a few very incredibly strong guys out there. We don't need the shirts etc. to make powerlifting exciting. Heck, Don Reinhoudt totalled 2420 without any equipment other than a belt (1975)! So why allow the bull**** equipment which allows a guy to bench 160 ish lbs more than his muscles are capable of lifting alone. That's roughly a 23% increase in the lift. What is the point? Is 711 lbs too wimpy? Lol, it really is a joke.

I want to know what a man can lift wearing a belt and nothing else other than street clothes. I would think that any competitive individual would want to know that. I don't want to know what a man can lift with a bench shirt that won't even allow him to touch 875 lbs to his chest!!! How goofy is that?

You know, what is the difference between that and what a guy named Jimmy Pelecchia (or something like that) used to do. He would perform "assisted" bench presses with over 700 lbs. There would be a "spotter" doing a bent over row with the bar while he benched. The guy was considered to be somewhat of a joke, kind of like the synthol guy with the 26" arms which exploded.

With some of these bench shirts, the shirt is doing as much of the lifting as the other guy's "spotter".

Powerlifting, like bodybuilding is being promoted in a completely asinine manner. Neither sport will grow in popularity in the way it can if matters are allowed to persist in the current fashion.

I'll be the fist person to tell you, I'am not big on equipment.. but I seen NO reason why this shouldnt seem impressive to you. The reason 875 didnt touch in his other meet was cuss he had weight problems and the shirt wasnt fitting properly.

I dont see how you can disregard this lift, it was solid and flawless. He puased for a VERY long time with that much weight over him.

As for the shirt doing as much work as the spotter.. tell me where the shirt is at lockout? Id love to see some of you guys board press or rack press 875 or even 900 pounds.

Kc

oo and btw.. his raw bench is WELL over 713 now. More or less around 750. I'll be sure to ask him next time i talk to him.

Kc

I'd like to see football players play without all the body armor.

But it's become part of the game.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

No doubt it's still an insane lift, I just think that it seems a bit warped with the steadily improving bench and the relatively unchanged deadlift records.

The point many of you are either ignoring or overlooking is, "why allow bull**** equipment which allows a guy to bench 160 ish lbs more than his muscles are capable of lifting alone."

If the goal is to lift as much as you can that's fine. However, it should be acknowledged that it was an "assisted" lift.

Imo, I don't think that the fact that these kind of lifts are being assisted are being acknolwedged as much as they should be.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 07-14-2003 at 12:26 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

3:16
    Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    I'd like to see football players play without all the body armor.

But it's become part of the game.
    its called rugby.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Wow, a 750 RAW bench is crazy!!! I have to agree that I would never get close to even getting that much weight off the rack! lol! Does anyone even know what the highest RAW bench is?
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

I thought this was a powerlifting forum.

You guy's need to grow up re: the equipment issue. Equipment is just as much a part of powerlifting as pads are a part of football, and just as much as fiberglass poles are a part of the pole vault.

Equipment is there to allow a person to lift more weight safely. There are far fewer shoulder and pec injuries because of the shirts. People are also able to bench press more weight than they used to.

And please tell me you were joking re: not being impressed with an 800+ bench press. This guy is the only guy to press this kind of weight in an actual meet. Ryan Kennelly did 800 in an exhibition, and Gene Rychlek, Anthony Clark and Bill
    Crawford have all scared 800, but nobody has ever attempted more than 805 in a meet except for Mendelson.

He just pressed 70 lbs more in competition than the next closest guy has even attempted (and missed). Mendy has done 90 lbs more than the next closest guy has ever done in a legitimate competition. Crawford's 785 is the biggest other than Mendy ever done in competition.

The equipment issue has been debated ad nauseum on countless forums, and over many a beer. But know this. The equipment is here to stay. The big guns are using it, and if you want to be competitive, you better get used to it too. Equipment manufacturers in powerlifting, just as in golf, are often the ones to sponsor events.

In a very real way, there would be no powerlifting as we know it today without equipment. No sponsorship, means no competitions. No competitions means no sport.

And don't start with me on strongman competitions not needing equipment sponsors. Strongmen use tacky, and straps (neither allowed in powerlifting) and when they do the rare true strength event, such as a platform squat, almost all competitors wear powersuits. And strongman is much more entertaining to watch, so it can survive on its merits as a spectator sport. It is just not that exciting for a non-lifter to watch some guy squat, bench or deadlift a bunch of weight.

And Maki, the goal in powerlifting is "to lift as much weight as you can" that is precisely what the goal of that competitive sport is. He who lifts the most wins. Similar to track and field, where he who runs fastest wins, or he who throws farthest wins. It is not about who is truly the strongest, or who can do the most reps, or who looks the best, or anything else. It is about who can do the most weight under the rules of the organization. And if the organization allows double denim shirts, and belts, and wrist and knee wraps, then you better be using those things, cause your competition sure is.

Think about this for a moment. Would you go buy a stock Corvette and try and enter a NASCAR event?

Of course not. NASCAR cars have twice the horsepower and go almost 100 mph faster. The Corvette driver would have no chance in that competition. But, he would be proving he is old school. And he would be proving he is truly doing "stock" car racing. But he would not be on an even playing field and he would be a fool to do so and expect to compete.

Nobody asks baseball players to field a ball without a glove, or a sprinter to run without spikes, or a NASCAR driver to drive a car off a dealer's lot, but there are always a bunch of yahoos, who hate seeing people so much stronger than they are, who are very willing to say that competitive athletes in a strength sport should not be using protective and performance enhancing equipment.

Frankly, nobody that has not competed has room to talk on this issue. I recall a parable about walking a mile in a man's shoes. . .

B.

Originally posted by Turboboy
    Wow, a 750 RAW bench is crazy!!! I have to agree that I would never get close to even getting that much weight off the rack! lol! Does anyone even know what the highest RAW bench is?
    Scott Mendelson's 713 done in competition within the last 6 months or so, was the most weight anyone has ever pressed RAW in competition. This beat James Henderson's 711 which has stood as the all time highest RAW mark for many years. Mendelson and Henderson are the only two men to have ever gone over 700 RAW.

B.