Thread: Too much protein?

Wannabebig Member

Too much protein?

Okay. A buddy of mine eats sooo much protein. He has two 40G of protein whey shakes. Like 7 hamburgers. Chicken breasts, etc. a day. Hes very defined. But hes gaining muscle so fast. IM SO MAD. Because He used to work out for like 2 years and was pretty big. Then he stopped and was just cut. now hes back to working out and getting big again. Hes twice as big as me(muscle wise) and ive been working out for like 9 months and havent stopped. Hes at like a month now. Hes smaller than I. Hes maybe 5'8 and ~155lbs? But hes getting huge.

My question is... Seeing him drink so much protein.. Me being 6'2, 184, ~12% body fat, will i get puffy if i start drinking alot of protein like him? I feel like my muscle isnt building anymore, and i can't seem to up the weight by too much if at all. Im thinking its because im not getting enough protein after my workouts. Will i get puffy or anything from the protein intake that ive lacked?

He thinks i should just get back on cell-tech(allready purchased) and that would be better for me. I dont know. I want to be defined, and i want to have a little bit more size. Will the protein make me, or keep me from getting deffintion easier?

Re: Too much protein?

Originally posted by JDD
    Okay. A buddy of mine eats sooo much protein. He has two 40G of protein whey shakes. Like 7 hamburgers. Chicken breasts, etc. a day. Hes very defined. But hes gaining muscle so fast. IM SO MAD. Because He used to work out for like 2 years and was pretty big. Then he stopped and was just cut. now hes back to working out and getting big again. Hes twice as big as me(muscle wise) and ive been working out for like 9 months and havent stopped. Hes at like a month now. Hes smaller than I. Hes maybe 5'8 and ~155lbs? But hes getting huge.
    Have you considered he is gaining weight because of the fact that he is eating more calories? What I am saying is that it might not just be due to his increased protein intake, but more to do with his overall calorie intake.

My question is... Seeing him drink so much protein.. Me being 6'2, 184, ~12% body fat, will i get puffy if i start drinking alot of protein like him?
    By "puffy" do you mean gain bf? If you are trying to add LBM then you should expect to gain some bf. As long as you are getting ~1g of protein per lb. of bw you should be fine as far as protein intake is concerned. You might consider increasing your overall calorie intake if you want to gain weight.

He thinks i should just get back on cell-tech(allready purchased) and that would be better for me. I dont know. I want to be defined, and i want to have a little bit more size. Will the protein make me, or keep me from getting deffintion easier?
    You should be taking in both carbs and protein post workout so really the Cell-Tech and protein would be beneficial post workout.

The protein itself will not make lose definition, but if you eat excess cals and gain bf then you will lose some definition. As I said above you have to expect some fat gain when trying to add LBM.
    Last edited by bradley; 07-15-2003 at 04:42 PM.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Wouldn't too much protein give you kidney stones or something?
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Wannabebig Member
    I thought kidney stones were do to excess sodium? I'm probably wrong though?

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, not necessarily kidney stones, but problems with the kidney.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Ironman8
    Well, not necessarily kidney stones, but problems with the kidney.
    Not unless you have pre-existing kidney problems.

Originally posted by jcny19x
    I thought kidney stones were do to excess sodium? I'm probably wrong though?
    Some people are genetically pre-disposed to kidney stones.

If salts such as uric acid, calcium oxalate, cystine, xanthine, etc. become to concentrated in the kidneys then this could lead to an increased risk of kidney stones.

The increased concentration of the above salts could come from decreased urine which would allow the salts to accumalate in the kidneys, or you could also have a deficiency in one of the protective factors associated with preventing kidney stones. Obviously there is a lot more to it than what I stated above but maybe this will give you an idea.

Basically make sure you are getting plenty of water throughout the day and adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals.