The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

deadlifts are killing me.

I am doing this routine (Monday was my first day on it)
    Squats 3*10-10-20
    Flat BP 2*6-8
    Deadlifts 3*10-10-20
    Seated behind the neck presses 3*10
    Lat Pull downs 3*12-10-8
    Preacher Curls 1*6-8

oh God when i was done doing squats, my shirt was dripping with sweat, it was like i have jumped into a pool with my clothes on and then came out. After doing squats and BP, when the turn came for Deadlifts, i used the same weight i did for squats but i could only manage 3 reps. I took out 15 pounds but still i could only manage 5 reps, my thighs were simply just not supporting me and my form was too waywerd. In other words, i sucked on it.
    But i wanted to do it with no excuses so after thinking for a minutes i did straight leg deadlifts (sldl's) for 2 sets of 10 reps each. I just want to ask can i replace deadlifts with SLDL's,believe me i just couldn't do them, my thighs were like crying and begging me to stop. Also my form on Dl's suck. Most of people in my gym got chicken legs.e.g. there is this guy with 41" chest, 17 inches biceps but i can even bet my gf his calves are no more than 13 inches. Guys in my gym are all kinda like this, they just never train legs so i cant ask them about the proper form. Only the coach can help me out but he comes in the night and i go to gym in the morning, so he cant help me with it. So are Straight leg deadlifts worth the same for back, biceps and traps and etc as deadlifts or should i just keep doing deadlifts until i get them right.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

take a good amount of weight off and get the form down first, then work up to higher weights...
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

If you wanna improve in all your lifts, I would suggest not doing them all in the same day. I don't know how you have the energy to do all those exercises in one training session. I can see you getting burned out really fast bro. You will probably make some gains for a little bit on that workout but I can see overtraining becoming a problem after a month or so. Especially if you are using heavy weights. Have you considered splitting up your bodyparts and not hitting them all in the same training session?
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

Re: deadlifts are killing me.

Originally posted by loverboy084
    I am doing this routine (Monday was my first day on it)
    Squats 3*10-10-20
    Flat BP 2*6-8
    Deadlifts 3*10-10-20
    Seated behind the neck presses 3*10
    Lat Pull downs 3*12-10-8
    Preacher Curls 1*6-8

Why for the love of Pete would you deadlift, bench and squat in the same day? Personally I would split your routine into a four day one. So maybe something like this:

Monday
    Squats
    Leg Press

Tuesday
    Flat BP
    Seated (in front!) of the neck presses. Doing them behind the neck CAN damage your shoulders. There are people on here who have hurt their shoulders that way.
    Dips

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Lat pulldowns
    Rows
    Preacher curl

Friday
    Deadlift.

Or you could do a three day split, but keep the deads, squats and bench presses on different days. Your original routine would wear down the Incredible Hulk.

That's great you're pushing yourself but as the other just said, you need to split bench, deads and squats into 3 seperate days. There's no way you're doing them to their full advantage. They should be done when you have the maximum level of energy during your workout.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

"Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    BTW if you're new to lifting the full body movements are going to be killer no matter what, your definelty going to be sore so don't worry about it.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Wannabebig Member
    i am doing all these big lifts in one routine cos i read this book by Arnold in which he had advised want muscle mass, stick to this routine for 3 months and your through.

That`s not entirely untrue. Actually I did it for 5mos. As a newb I read something similar. To build mass, and build it fast, for the new lifter to stick to the compound movements. I did this on a three day split. Mon., Wed., and Fri. Make sure you eat enough, and stick to lots of lean meats and complex carbs. They will hurt though, and you will be sore. Watch your form to avoid injuries.

Wannabebig Member
    yes, thats what i forgot to mention, i will have to do this routine 3 times a week.i.e. Mondays,wednesday and friday.

Wannabebig Member
    hey daddyzombie btw did you make big gains during the five months??

Yes indeed my friend !! After loosing about 10lb.of fat, I put on 20lb over 5mos. Lifts went up like crazy.

Wannabebig Member
    oh daddy!! lol now that i know ur the living example of this routine i m gonna burn my ass in gym 3 times a week.