The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar

Bulking and other issues...

hey yo. i've been starting to lift weights and get fit for about 5 months now. i go to the gym a 3-4 times a week, and im trying to eat right, with a protein/carb shake after i work out. im seeing really good progress, however i am a small guy - 5'9, 159 lbs. i want to know a link or something that will give me a good lowdown on a bulking diet so i can gain some more muscle and mass. although, with bulking, i am concerned about getting more fat in my ab/stomach region. i dont wanna feel like im getting fat while im bulking! i understand that i will take in more fat and my bf% may go up, but i dont wanna look it. i dont wanna see myself in the mirror and say to myself 'im fatter' any ideas folks? oh, and whoever gives me a good link for bulking, thank you very much.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Maybe this will help

Here are some general dieting guidelines that might be of some help:
    1) 1 gram of protein per lb. of bodyweight

2) 25-30% of daily calories should come from fat (Essential fatty
    acids making up most of this total)

3) Fill in the rest of daily calories with low glycemic index carbs, except postworkout which would ideally include high glycemic index carbs along with a quick digesting protein (whey protein).

4) Drink plenty of water throughout the day, and one gallon would be good starting point.

Listed below are some good sources of each macronutrient. This is just a small list and is by no means all inclusive.

protein sources: eggs, chicken, lean beef, dairy, fish

low GI carbs: oats, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat bread, vegetables

fats: nuts, natural peanut butter, oily fish (such as salmon), fish oil, flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil

To find out how many cals you should be eating each day I would slowly increase cals in small increments until you are gaining the desired amount of weight each week (approximately 1lb per week is a good number IMO). You can use www.fitday.com to help you track calories if you like. Here is an example of what I mean. Say you are eating 2000 cals and maintaining your weight then you would need to increase cals by a small amount (about 200-300). That would put you at 2300 cals for the week. Keep cals at this level for the week and then weigh yourself at the end of the week and see how much weight you have gained (if any). Repeat this process until you are gaining ~.5lb per week. I woud weigh myself at the same time each week to try and ensure the most accurate measurement.

You should expect to gain some fat when trying to add LBM, but if you concentrate on gaining at a slow rate you should be able to minimize the amount of bf that you gain.