The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

New to Forums / Routine Questions

Hey,

I just wanted to start out saying that I have been lurking these boards for a whileand decided to register because I had my questions. I am relatively new to bodybuilding I am 19 and will be a junior in college this coming year. I have lifted on and off all during college but have been lifiting on a consistent basis the past 2 months. I am approximately 140lbs and 5feet 10inches.

I picked up Arnold's Guide to Modern BodyBuilding and have been doing the Begining workout. For those unfamiliar with the routine, it is a 3 day split as follows (I have made a few minor changes by adding 1 or 2 exercises, but it is pretty much exactly from his book):

Mon / Thurs: Chest and Back
    Bench Press 5 sets (15x 10x 8x 6x 4x)
    Incline Press 5 sets (15x 10x 8x 6x 4x)
    Pullovers 3 sets (9x 9x 9x)
    Cable Crossovers 3 sets (9x 9x 9x)

Chinups 50

Bent-Over Rows 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Deadlifts 3 sets (10x 6x 4x)

Tues / Fri: Shoulders and Arms
    Clean and Press 5 sets (15x 10x 8x 6x 4x)
    Lat Raises 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Up-Right Rows 3 sets (10x 6x 4x)
    Push Presses 3 sets (6x 4x 2x)

Barbell Curls 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Hammer Curls 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Close-Grip Presses 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Tricep Extensions 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)

Wrist Curls 3 sets (9x 9x 9x)

Wed / Sat: Legs
    Squats 5 sets (15x 10x 8x 6x 4x)
    Leg Extensions 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Leg Curls 4 sets (9x 9x 9x 9x)
    Hip Abduction 3 sets (9x 9x 9x)
    Hip Adduction 3 sets (9x 9x 9x)
    Calf Raises 5 sets (15x 15x 15x 15x 15x)
    Straight Leg DeadLifts 3 sets (10x 6x 4x)
    Good Morning Rows 3 sets (10x 6x 4x)

Abs every day 5 sets of 25x

Like I said I have been doing this routine for about 2 months, and I have gained 4lbs (I was originally 136lbs). I feel that I am not gaining weight fast enough, I want to ideally weigh in at 150lbs by the end of the summer, it is really hard for me to gain weight, I try to eat 6 meals a day but I always just feel really full and heavy, so I end up eating only 3. I never do cardio except for walking to the market or other places. Does anyone have any suggestions for different workout strategies?

Also any suggestions on my diet, dos and donts? Thanks for all of your help in advance.
    Last edited by Guevara139; 07-14-2003 at 05:09 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Welcome.

It is very likely you are overtraining. Cut down on the volume big time, I do normaly about 3-5 sets, 4-6 reps per muscle group, but there are other schemes that work as well.

Restructuring your routine will probably help you out a lot, but it is very important that you eat, eat, and then eat again. After a while you will get used to it, and the dedication will pay off.

I think your goal of 150 is attainable.

P.S. Eat.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig Member
    not sure if this is still the right forum to ask, but what meals/snacks would you suggest that dont make you feel really full and sluggish but are good for you.

I have no problem snacking on something, but I can't really sit down and eat a big meal, I jsut feel too full.

High protein meals.

Read in the Diet / Recipes forum, there are many ideas for you there.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig Member
    im not really sure if I am overtraining, but i really hate missing a day in the gym, i need to do someting physical or i go crazy, since i want to bulk up...i assumed cardio was a bad idea. I know some of my friends train a different body part each day, do you think this would be good to do?

Guevara, one of the bardest lessons to learn is that your body grows out of the gym. It takes people a long time to realize how key recovery time is for muscle growth. A split that has worked for me is the following

Monday: chest
    Tuesday: back
    Wednesday:off
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Shoulders

Some snacks you can use to add calories are

cottage cheese and fruit
    sting cheese
    natural peanut butter
    canned tuna fish
    eggs
    weight gainer shakes(cytogainer, nlarge, etc.)

Read some more of the other threads. The journal section is good too, you can see what has worked for other people with similar builds to you(ghettosmurf, clvmike, wibble are with similiar size).
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    you do not have an arms day, do you just skip that body part?

Originally posted by Guevara139
    you do not have an arms day, do you just skip that body part?
    you arms get plenty of work from your cehst/back days. I haven't had an arm day in a long time. I'm currently throwing 2 tricep exercises in with back, and 2 bicep exercies in with chest just for a change. In the past I would do the above split and maybe burn out the bi's at the end of back, and the tri's at the end of chest.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig Member
    cphafner, i think your split is good, and i want to try it....but could you give me a rundwon of what exercises including sets and reps that you do each day? thanks a lot

Guevara, i have all the info you want listed in my journal. I would also recommend you check out homeyield's journal since he uses a similar split.
    My Journal