Thread: Low Carb (Atkins) Diet. After the weight loss. What next?

Low Carb (Atkins) Diet. After the weight loss. What next?

I have read Dr. Atkins book and from the sounds of it once you go low carb you can never go back to the way you ate previously (above your carb intake maintenance level) without gaining weight (fat). I know a lot of the people here do not encourage such a diet regimen. My question is this. If you begin an extremely low carb diet, loose the weight, and want to gain muscle mass will reincorporating carbs into your diet lead to gaining fat?
    Move heavy weight, eat, sleep, repeat.
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

this has been brought up a few times and atkins is NOT a bodybuilder's diet. a ckd or tkd (ketogenic diets that are modified atkins) are more appropriate for those who lift, workout, exercise in general. having said that - both the ckd and tkd do incorporate carbs at specified intervals. once one is done cutting on a ketogenic diet, carbs should be slowly re-introduced and there should not be any issues with regaining the lost weight.

my advice: stop thinking about atkins
    Last edited by raniali; 07-14-2003 at 05:23 PM.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

:withstupi

The atkins diet recommends adding carbs until you don't lose weighy anymore. After you reached your goal you would go with a balanced diet. Its onlu super low carbs the firtst 2 weeks. When people say never go back the way you were before, that is the same with any deit, don't do what made you fat.!!
    Some people can handle carbs better then others.
    I never tried the atkins deit while lifting, but lots of people talk about without knowing the whole thing.

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    How about bulk to gain most of that strength back
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

even after a CKD or TKD, if you reintroduce carbs into your diet you will not gain weight unless you eat more cal's than needed. its all about cals in, cals out!

if you eat nothing but mc donalds and burger king....of coarse you will gain weight. thats most peoples problems, after they lose weight they have no self control. no wonder they gained 40 pounds after they went off adkins! and then they say the diet does not work.........no, no, you dont work!

I appreciate all the advise. Just for the record. I did a modified version of atkins. I did not have a horrible diet before. I ate a lot of high carbohydrate foods (i.e. tortillas) as is common in lots of latin american households. It was hard but I cut out tortillas, baked goods in general, sodas and sugar. Bread was the only real concern because I ate the rest of the things sparringly. Because I had tried the cals in and cals out approach while putting in a decent amount of work in the gym and never got back under 200 lbs. I decided to limit my carbs (and actually took in the same if not more calories) and I am 185, most of the loss has been bf (according to my Tanita BF monitor, and decreasing waist line). I just wanted some advice because I do not want to regain the weight unless it is lean muscle and the point is to train and diet smarter. Knowledge is always welcome
    Geniuses make complicated scenarios simple, morons take simple concepts and complicate them.

some people do better with less carbs and less starches in general. you may be one of those people. it is called insulin sensitivity and carrying wt in the abdomen (versus in the hips) is one sign of this. also a history of diabetes is a likely indicator. it seems you made the most progress cutting out the starches. learn from this (as you have) and develop a working diet that is low in these types of foods. you might find you do not get fat from eating rice or yams or oatmeal instead of processed wheat/flour items.

i used to bake fresh bread weekly -- and eat it all. i thought i was being healthy with my pasta and veggies as well. i was at my heaviest when my diet was consisting heavily of these things. fortunately i don't really crave bread (just chocolate) so eliminating these items was easy for me. i also generally consume about 150g carbs daily on a 'normal' diet; 300 g is A LOT for me. other people work better with more carbs. this is trial and error for everyone - find what works for you. you know what made you big - and that's a big start.
    Size is SEXY!

My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by raniali
    some people do better with less carbs and less starches in general. you may be one of those people. it is called insulin sensitivity and carrying wt in the abdomen (versus in the hips) is one sign of this.
    I was under the impression that insulin resistance and abdominal fat were directly correlated with each other.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

That is probably what ranaili was getting at bc most people who are heavier when their diets consists of a lot of carbs and loose weight when they lower their carb intake are insulin resistant. In other words their body chucks out tons of insulin because years of desensitizing their metabolism with too many carbs (usually sugars) response mechanism. Ergo, they eat carbs, the regulation is off, the body produces more insulin than is necessary, and the carbs are stored for energy (as fat). As far as where the fat deposits the abstract you provided gives some insight, thanks.
    Last edited by DoUgL@S; 07-16-2003 at 08:59 AM.

There are those other dark tortillas you can buy which have less carbs and sodium i think,(I think its blue-corn or something like that). Anyway its probably in your grocers health food section and believe it or not they arent all that bad
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

I Actually know 3 people that have lost weight on the atkins diet, Me being a fourth. I was losing about 5-7Lb/Wk. The thing with this diet is that it seems you have to build muscle after you lost the fat,Protein supplements and Calcium are pretty good for this. The muscle seems to help. Also Calorie/Carb intake is an issue, I would think maybe gradually changing your diet would help. IMO anyway. Try looking it up on the forums and good-luck

<<WBB Hardcore Newbie
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Allup thanks for the info. I actually use La Tortilla factory's low carb tortilla (12 g carbs, 9 of those fiber). I did do induction for 2 weeks and cheated but still lost, I attempted to do the program but it is difficult when your family does not eat the way you do. I opted just to eliminate empty calories (i.e. sugar, white bread, and pasta). It worked I lost 30 lbs, and kept most of my muscle. I also got serious about the workout regimen. WBB routine #1 and running (jogging) 3X/week. I got sick so I haved eased up on the workouts but my weight & bf has remained the same. I miss it so I hope to have my routine up an going soon.

You can do alot just cleaning up your diet. Its a good start. Though once you get to a certain point you have to get stricter.
    I haven't had tacos/buriotos in a while cause of the wraps. I was gonna try wheat but they were out this weekend so I had the regular.
    But either way once you lose the weight just have to eat sensibly. I can maintain fairly easy. Its getting down there that takes discipline.

Originally posted by bradley

I was under the impression that insulin resistance and abdominal fat were directly correlated with each other.

that is what i was saying. on another note -- how is insulin resistance (or Syndrome X in some circles) even measured?? the abstract indicates "Insulin resistance was estimated by the homeostasis model assessment (HOMA-IR). "
    Size is SEXY!

Originally posted by raniali

that is what i was saying. on another note -- how is insulin resistance (or Syndrome X in some circles) even measured?? the abstract indicates "Insulin resistance was estimated by the homeostasis model assessment (HOMA-IR). "

Maybe this will help somewhat

http://www.easd.org/37th/Abs01/213.html
    Last edited by bradley; 07-16-2003 at 02:33 PM.