Thread: Loss of Strength

Wannabebig Member

Loss of Strength

This is the first time this has ever happened to me in my 7 months of training. Until now, I've lifted more weight than my previous workout for the same body part. But I could not accomplish this today (back and bi).

I felt a bit tired today but I forced myself to go to the gym. I managed to bang out my back routine OK. I actually felt a little sluggish during my lifts. I ignored this and started on my bi's. About a third way into my bi workout, I completely lost it. I couldn't even come close to lifting what I did in my prior workout. I only managed to bang out half of the sets that I usually perform. I was feeling exhausted and beat. So instead of continuing, I decided to call it a day.

Has anyone encountered this before? I have not been able to find any threads that talk about this issue. Is it normal for people to have a bad workout once in a while? Like I said, this is the first time I've encountered this problem. My chest/tri workout is next and I'm hoping that this does not happen to me then. Any thoughts???

I think the amazing thing is that it hasn't happened to you before. Lots of factors can throw your workout off. It's best not to sweat it too much. Unless you've suddenly lost a bunch of muscle (unlikely), it was probably just an off day.

It happens bro. Taken any time off lately?

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for your response.

Well, because I work so damn much (12-16 hour days), I don't push myself too hard (meaning, I don't hit the gym everyday). I usually hit each bodypart every 7-10 days. Maybe a week off will do the trick???

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    How's your diet? That's also a big factor.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

I was gonna say overtraining till you said you only hit each bodypart every 7-10 days, but that shouldn't be the prob. Some days, you just don't feel it, so don't worry about it. I only seem to get one really intense workout ever 3rd or 4th time i work a bodypart. (yeah. that sucks. I know)
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

Beware of Attack Ferrets
    I lost some strength recently just by cutting. My diet isn't as disciplined so I'm sure that's not helping either.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all your thoughts. Really got me thinking about why I was feeling like this. I think you guys made some really good points. I recently shifted my diet slightly (substituted veggies for carbs for lunch). This could be the genesis of the problem or maybe it was just an off day. I'm pumped up right now to get back in the gym and prove to myself that yesterday was an off day.

This board is AWESOME. Thanks everyone.