Thread: Problems with lifting gains??

Hybrid View

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

Problems with lifting gains??

I was looking back on my old threads and I noticed I really haven't gained much in the last month or so...

I've really been stuck on the same bench press for a long time now.

I started doing DB presses 4 weeks ago instead of BB presses to try to switch up my routine and add strength. I started with 50 pound DB's and last week I did two sets of 8 with 60 pounders. So I am increasing there, but I went back and did a set of BB presses to see if I had gained any and I was still stuck right in the same place.

And with curling... when I started lifting in January I was curling like 25 pound DB's. Now I'm doing 50 pound DB's for all three sets of 8 reps. But I have tried for the last 4 weeks to move up to 55 pounders and I can't. I am stuck at 50, and I cannot move up for sh-t. I know 50 is a respectable but I feel like I need to increase to gain.

My arms haven't gained much in the last month or so ethier.

I might be stressing to much but I feel like I've come to a halt on all my exercises and it's pissin me off.

Any advice

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Change up the rep ranges. If you are strictly focused on gaining strength, go low reps (3-5) and as heavy as you can possibly go.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

My main goal is to get as swole and cut as possible. I thought in order to do so I would need to increase strength every week. Doesn't muscle growth come from strength increases or can you grow by simply doing the same amount of weight.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

IMO you are right, progression leads to hypertrophy. However, you are apparently stuck right now, so like HF suggested you can change up the rep ranges to help get you out of the plateau. Personally, I have made decent progress with 4-6 reps, and so far i have been able to progress decently adding weight about every other week/ training cycle.

Also, I am sure you know that your arms grow when your whole body grows, so drilling your bis won't necessarily make them bigger, remember to rely on core movements like DL's/Squats. Your bench depends greatly on your tris as well, but try not to over train them either.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Yeah--

like pusher said rely on core lifts to boost you out of a rut.

But besides that, if you are stuck at 50 pound dumbbells and can't make the move up to 55, doesn't that tell you something? You haven't given your body a reason to be able to curl 55 pounders-- your body hasn't adapted yet.

Maybe up the intensity? Volume? More rest? Anything! Give your body a REASON to change; obviously you're not right now.

Of course you didn't mention how your core lifts are going so maybe the problem is foundational.

A change in routine usually does it for me. Make sure you aren't overtraining since it is easier to do than you might think. I only average 7 sets total per workout and I have been improving the best I have in a long time.
    5-9 170

You can do 50's for three sets of eight, yet you can't handle the 55's?

Either you're BSing about the lift, or what you mean to say is that you can't do it for 3x8 with the 55's.

If that's the case, who gives a damn if you're not hitting 3x8? Add the weight, and get what you can get.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

50lb dumbells for curls is really impressive for somebody your size, I would just continue to do them with 50s for now and try later. Curling is the hardest thing for me to move up on as well.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

thanks guys

I can curl the 55 for couple reps when I'm fresh.

I have been doing 50x8 for two sets and 45x8 for the last.

So basically I can't complete my set with 55. I would guess that I could do 55x3 for a couple sets but I couldn't do my normal routine.

And witht the bench I am finding it really hard to increase weight. My tris are fairly strong... but I guess they could be stronger.

I guess I need to start gaining more weight. I've been between 159 and 162 for a long time now.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

SLOW RIDE
    i was stuck at 65dumbell each arm, so im doing precher curls until they hurt, and gonne curl semi light once a week and pump aheavy one in for a set or to, hope t his breaks my plat open