The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Interested In Losing Weight!

Hi everyone. What a fantastic resource you have here. I suppose I'll start by telling you a little about myself.

I've been overweight most of my life. When I was young (read: 6 yrs) I was skinny but I began hanging out with a friend who was severly overweight. Needless to say it didn't take long before his lifestyle of over-indulging in food was picked up by me.

I continously gained weight throughout jr. high and high school. When I graduated high school I was about 200lbs @ 5'9.

All of it geletanous fat.

I'm about to start my junior year of college. At age 20, 5'9 I currently tip the scale at about 210 lbs.

Having spent this summer covered with a tee shirt because I'm too embarassed to show skin at the beach, I'm determined to lose weight and get in good shape for the summer.

I desperately want a defined chest, visible abs, large bicepts, et al. I'm willing to work at it but I'm really not sure how.

Of course I need to eat less and excercise more. This goes without saying.

I own a treadmill, free weights, dumbells, a universal gym, and a pool.

I was hoping members of this forum could give me some advice on how to go about setting up a routine at home. I have about a month of summer left, and I would love to drop say 20 lbs and add some muscle if this is possible.

I really know absolutely nothing about excercise and eating right. As absurd as that might sound, aside from playing sports, I've never bothered with my physique ... as can be seen by looking at me.

I would appreciate any help one can offer. I'm sorry to write a novel, perhaps my nerdy lifestyle is part of the cause.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

check the diet and nutrition forum, it has tons of info. and by using the search thread you can find plenty of threads just like yours

try one of the wannabebig.com routines.

I don't think dropping 20lbs. and adding some muscle in a month is a reasonable goal, shoot for 1 lb a week for fat loss.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

20lbs in a month isn't possible, unless you want to be a skinny fat guy

concentrate on your goals for next summer, and don't make it about looks -- make it about health and treat the looks like a nice bonus (you'll do better this way, trust me).

as for training, i would suggest WBB#1 as it seems to be good for the newbies (even though i don't know off hand what it is, but it seems like a great place to start ). hit up the diet and nutrition forums with any specific diet questions you have, but basically you'll want to start out at 12X bodyweight for daily calories and work your way up or down until you're losing roughly 1-2lb/week. focus on eating clean meals and getting 1g per pound body weight of protein and try to get 25% of your daily calories from good fat sources (natural PB, fish oil caps, flax oil, etc). just stick to it, it takes a while, but at the end it's worth it good luck!

Thanks a lot for all the great advice. I've been busy reading through all the routines and other advice offered on WBB.

What a fantastic resource!
    Thanks,
    Jay