The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench on smith?

Wannabebig Member

Bench on smith?

I currnetly go to a gym in the summer without a training partner and have recently switched to free weights. this means not only am i not very good with my balance on Bench Press i cant push myself at all. Is it ok to use a smith machine , because i feel like i can barely pu the weight up for fear of it getting stuck at the end of my set. I use smith for my shoulder presses at the mo anyway, but squat and deadlift freely.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Oh god......

Do DB bench press if you are worried about a spotter. Plus, you can always ask someone for a spot at the gym if you want to use barbell free weights. If you have any interest in powerlifting, use free weights. I used to use a machine for bench a few years back. I made great gains on it, but it translated to no extra strength on the free weights. If bodybuilding is your sole goal, the smith may be okay for the summer.

(waits for a member to start another flame war)
    5-9 170

Originally posted by Rygar
    Oh god......
    I use free weights and LOOK AT MY PHYSIQUE! (just kidding)
    5-9 170

Wannabebig Member

Re: Bench on smith?

Originally posted by League
    I currnetly go to a gym in the summer without a training partner and have recently switched to free weights. this means not only am i not very good with my balance on Bench Press i cant push myself at all. Is it ok to use a smith machine , because i feel like i can barely pu the weight up for fear of it getting stuck at the end of my set. I use smith for my shoulder presses at the mo anyway, but squat and deadlift freely.
    Bench on a Smith machine can be a great way to shock the system. Or to do secondary to give your accessory/stabalizer muscles a break. But it should not be used in place of free weight bench.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    there you have it folks

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

personally i would completely avoid the smith machine if at all possible

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Is there no power rack at your gym?

The only time I use the Smith Machine for chest work is when doing incline presses. Most of the incline benches I've seen have a very steep incline that tends to put more stress on my delts. With the SM, I can adjust the bench to whatever incline I want. You are going to make gains no matter what equipment you use as long as you remember that gains will only come as your weights or reps increase.
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

3:16

Re: Re: Bench on smith?

Originally posted by KrYptic

Or to do secondary to give your accessory/stabalizer muscles a break. But it should not be used in place of free weight bench.
    which muscles are these that are given a rest?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Under Construction
    Just find a power rack that someone is not using, set the pins and bench in there. You fail at the bottom, just dump on the pins.

The smith machine is no different than any other machine, you move a weight straight up and down. It just looks cool because you can add plates.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Wannabebig Member

UK gym

Thanks for the response. I am in a UK gym, which means its rubbish as we have hadly anyone here interested in BB. Seriously, USA high schools have better free weights rooms than most gyms in the UK. I dont have a power rack there but i think my BP will gt better if i just nick someones time for 40 seconds twice in a session. Only doing 2x6/8 so i suppose as long as i dont srop it on him, i should be ok. Will balance come in time, cause its a pain in the arse at the mo to have a wobble when i know i lift more weight easily up.

Wannabebig Member

Re: Re: Re: Bench on smith?

Originally posted by body

which muscles are these that are given a rest?
    As when you use any machine. You don't need any muscle power to stabalize or balance the weight.

Another problem is that it can cause a pattern overload since naturally bench press is performed in an arch, not linear as a smith machine forces you.

What is Pattern Overload?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    KrYptic: body is asking you to name the muscles you reffered to

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Holto
    KrYptic: body is asking you to name the muscles you reffered to
    What muscles are used in bench pressing?

Chest
    Tri's
    Delts
    Lats

Now think of the difference. If you ware using a machine, none of these muscles are needed to stabalize and balance the weight, the machine is doing this for you.

Say someone does nothing but smith machine bench. They get up to say 225 lbs on it, (True 225, not just 2 plates on each side) and can crank out 10 reps. I will near guarantee you that you throw 225 on a bar free weight and put that person under it, those same 10 reps arn't going to come flying out. Fresh or not. The machine inhibits load balancing.

yes.

but from a hypertrophy point of view how will muscle growth be effected?
    you just add more weight on to the bar, its not like squating where free weight squat will shift more emphasis on to muscle that are not used much so much on smith squat.

Personnally i hate the smith as i like the arc movement, but the question was not asking about strength.
    how will doing smith machine bench rest the pecs, delts or triceps compared to free wegiht bench. if you train at the same intensity.
    ignore your 225 pounds on the smith is less, as i would just put on say 240 pounds on the msith machine compared to free weight bench. that way you say hit faluire on the 10th rep.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I don't know how the restricted movement would effect hypertrophy using the smith. I just know the smith sucks for building functional strength in the chest.

use a power rack if you have no spotter or don't train to failure when using a bb.

Wannabebig Member
    yes.

but from a hypertrophy point of view how will muscle growth be effected?

I personally don't like the smith for anything but shoulder press and incline also. However I use it as a shocking tool.

If I do my Incline DB, Flyes, and maybe pech deck, my chest is fried. I use a smith to give those muscles stated above a "break" from stabalizing the weight so that I can focus more on breaking down my chest and hopefully not fail as soon.

could you explain to me how you can shock a muscle?

Wannabebig Member
    could you explain to me how you can shock a muscle?
    Shock = Keeping the body from adapting.

The very reason you don't go into the gym every day and do the exact same exercises in the exact same order.

but if i add more weight on to the bar and keep the exact order and selection the same. how will this not lead to hypertrophy progress.

keep chaning the exercise choice to often, will not allow you to preform the exercise at your top efficiency there fore you will fail earlier meaning you will stress your muscles less.

only change the routine when progress slows to a level your not ahppy with.(or boardom in a lot of people cases.)

Wannabebig Member
    but if i add more weight on to the bar and keep the exact order and selection the same. how will this not lead to hypertrophy progress.
    It will lead to hypertophy progress.

keep chaning the exercise choice to often, will not allow you to preform the exercise at your top efficiency there fore you will fail earlier meaning you will stress your muscles less.
    Yes sir.

only change the routine when progress slows to a level your not ahppy with.(or boardom in a lot of people cases.)
    Very good point.

I am not saying at all that using a smith machine when you are wasted will help or hinder hypertorphy. I am just saying I use it as a shocking method much like I use drop sets, super sets, and giant sets

Could I get the same thing out of putting a little less weight on the free weight bar, yes. It's more than likely a psycological matter that goes on in my own head ( hehe ) but hey, the mind is just as important as the body in many cases.

don't worry i hate the smith excpet for calf raise or shrugs(free weight bar hits my privates).

its just the word shock is often used wrongly as every time i trian, i intend to shock my body so i keep progressing(well unless i have a light week)

Under Construction
    I cannot understand why people think they can shock their muscles into growth. If you are progressing, why switch things up. Your muscles only know how to relax and contract.

Also, why use the smith for military presses and incline if you won't use it for flat presses. You might as well just use a a nautilus type machine since it forces you into one line of motion. The smith is nothing more than that.
    Just one guy's opinion.