Thread: Searching the Light

Searching the Light

Standing 5ft 8, about 84kg (185lbs), with a fairly high BF of around 18-20%. Been training for around 3 years already with results...eh, not very satisfying, but making slow improvements.

I am almost done with my bulking phase as I intend to bulk till 85kg+ (about 190lbs), followed by a cutting phase for 3 months, to reduce my weight till 75kg (165lbs). Upon completing, I will bulk and hopefully put on 5 kg (10+ lbs) of muscle to hit a lean 80kg (175lbs).

My routine for my cutting phase will be base on a 12 weeks, 5 x 5 program (for 6 weeks) followed by an upper/lower/upper, repeat, heavy/moderate/light routine (the next 6 weeks) inspired by an article I read. I'll probably post my cutting routine tomorrow and for the remaining of my bulking phase routine which ends next week, this is what I have been doing for the past few months.

Monday: Chest, Biceps
    Tuesday: Legs
    Thursday: Shoulders, Triceps, Calves
    Friday: Back, Abs

Did not get a decent Shoulders/Tris/Calves workout yesterday as my gym was closed thus train at home instead without much equipment (one freakin 10kg DB to be exact). However, today the gym is open again and I'm gonna have a good Back/Abs workout, furthermore it's a friday.

Today's workout will be roughly...

1) Wide Grip Pull Down: 3 x 8-10
    2) Bent Over Barbell Row: 3 x 8-10
    3) Hammer Curl Grip Pulldown: 3 x 10-12
    4) Seated Cable Row: 3 x 6-8
    5) Rear Delt Raise: 3 x 10-12
    6) Dumbbell Shrug: 3 x 10-12
    7) Smith Machine Behing the Neck Shrug: 2 x 10-12
    8) Weighted Decline Crunches: 3 x 10-12
    9) Hanging Leg Raises: 2 x MAX

As you can see the volume is quite high but base on my exprience I personally feel that higher volume works better for my Back.

My diet is not very good at the present time which might be a little tougher for me to adjust it. Right now I'm in the army thus it's kinda hard to eat clean. However, Adding some cardio with a more organized diet it should not be a problem to my leaning journey.

For supplements I am almost finishing my creatine. During my Cutting phase, I'll most likely use only protein powder (100% PureWhey), along with Lean System 7.

That's it for now, I might post again later for a workout and diet review, and maybe enter my Cutting phase program.

Till then.

Recap on Friday's workout...

Hit the gym 1 hour before it closes, damn it not enough time especially for a Back and Abs workout, plus I like to take my own sweet time. Anyway...

Warm up: Wide Grip Pulldown : 1 x 15 @ 90lbs, Bent Over Barbell Row: 1 x 15 @ 35lbs

Just a quickie cuz there ain't much time to spare... Now to the work sets

1) Wide Grip Pulldown: 1 x 11 @ 170lbs, 1 x 10 @ 160lbs, 1 x 8 @ 150lbs
    2) Bent Over Barbell Row: 1 x 12 @ 135lbs, 1 x 11 @ 165lbs, 1 x 9 @ 175lbs, 1 x 8 @ 135lbs (reverse grip)
    3) Reverse Grip Pulldown: 1 x 8 @ 170lbs, 1 x 6 @ 170lbs
    4) Seated Cable Row: 1 x 9 @ 150lbs, 1 x 8 @ 170lbs (a bit cheating)
    5) DB Shrug: 1 x 19 @ 45lbs, 1 x 8 @ 60lbs

Overall the workout was pretty good, until the Shrug came. Kinda disappointed in my grip strength and I have not enough time to finish my workout cuz the gym is about to close. Gotta reach earlier next time.

Weight at 83.8kg. Should be able to reach 85kg by end of next week. Than the cutting begins.

Speaking out cutting, I will most likely incorporate somke Cardio in it even though I hated it, and my diet will be roughly like this, even though there might be changes from time to time.

Meal 1: 1 scooping PureWhey and 1 glass skim milk (33g Pro)
    Meal 2: Ham egg sandwich, 2 eggs, 1 glass coffee (20g Pro)
    Meal 3: 1 scoop PureWhey (23g Pro)
    Meal 4: Chicken Chop with white rice, 1 glass coffee (25g Pro)
    Meal 5 (pre workout): 1 scoop PureWhey, 1 serving Red Bull (23g Pro)
    Meal 6 (post workout): 1 scoop PureWhey, Glucose (23g Pro)
    Meal 7: Either Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Chicken Chop or Chicken Rice with 1 glass skim milk (30g Pro)
    Meal 8: 1 scoop PureWhey with 1 glass skim milk (33g Pro)

As you can see I will be taking 5 servings of PureWhey daily, which I'm not really keen about cuz I'd rather eat more wholesome goodies. My total protein coming outta wholesome foods is only about 65g outta a total amount of 210 (the rest which comes from powder and skim milk). Will do some modifications later.

That's it for now, Chest workout tomorrow. Last week of bulking...

How about having 2 cans of tuna a day? That's 66g of protein you wouldn't need from whey. Also, maybe 10 egg whites in the morning and at night, that's 35g protein each meal.

Good luck on the cut, if ya need any help on a diet or training, ask away, that's what we're here for.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Thanks Jake. eah, I will most likely throw in 1 can of Tuna in my diet a day to replace one of the protein shakes. As far as the eggs goes, I'm still trying to look for those egg whites only packets but still not much luck. Last time I used to be kinda wasteful with eggs like cooking 5 half boiled eggs and removing 3 of their yolks but now eggs are pretty ex (10 for 2 bucks) so I'm trying to look for a more thrifty approach.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJake
    How about having 2 cans of tuna a day? That's 66g of protein you wouldn't need from whey. Also, maybe 10 egg whites in the morning and at night, that's 35g protein each meal.

Good luck on the cut, if ya need any help on a diet or training, ask away, that's what we're here for.
    What size cans of tuna are you talking about lil Jake? Also, any thoughts on how helpful eggbeaters are as opposed to real eggs?

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum
    What size cans of tuna are you talking about lil Jake? Also, any thoughts on how helpful eggbeaters are as opposed to real eggs?

Regular size can tuna = 33g protein.....

therefore 2 cans = 66g protein.

I dunno about eggbeaters. I just use real eggs and throw away the yoke. If you're a hardgainer fcuk it and eat the yokes.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I wannabebig!
    good luck with your goals vsire...

and yes can of tuna = roughly 33g protein and eggbeaters is egg whites with some added ingredients for thickness and mixability
    Last edited by ryuage; 11-28-2004 at 04:24 PM.

Oh man havn't updated this in like months. I am done wth my bulking. In fact, with all the trash eating I really need to lean down now. I have began my dieting 2 days ago (last Saturday). Right now I am around 86.5kg (190lbs) and my goal is to lean down till 80kg (176lbs) in 11 weeks.

To lose 14lbs in almost 3 months (11 weeks), my plan is to shed around 1.25lbs every week, which I will take my weight every Friday after my workout.

I will rely pretty heavily on supps as my current job scope doesn't provide much healthy food choices. Of course, I'll try my best to bring along my prepared food from home, even though it's not always possible.

Right now my training will be on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. It will be strictly base on weight lifting alone as I decide to put cardio aside. Reason being I have NEVER diet properly before and this shall be my first time. Compared to the food I used to eat, my current diet will definitely make me lose weight. However, I'm kinda concern that the Cardio will overkill my lean out plan and make me lose more muscles than required. I'm trying my best to lean out while mantaining as much mass as possible, since it's not much to bgain with. However after 11 weeks if my progress is doing well, I ill throw in some cardio to speed things up.

So in a nutshell... my goal...

Lose 14lbs of fat in 11 weeks, from 86.5kg (190lbs) to 80kg (176lbs).

My training routine will be...

Monday: Chest, Triceps, Biceps
    Wednesday: Legs, Calves
    Friday: Back, Shoulders

My current best lifts (which suck) are...

Bench Press: Not sure, maybe around 175lbs.
    Squat: 6 x 245lbs
    Stiff Legged Deadlift: 1 x 285lbs

For my lifts, I will like to increase them till (in 11 weeks)...

Bench Press: 1-2 x 200lbs
    Squat: 6 x 265
    Stiff Legged Deadlift: 1 x 315

My supps are 100% Whey, Myoplex and Creatine. However the latter 2 are almost done and I have no intention to buy them for the time being.

Will be back later to update my Friday's workout.

Last Friday's Back, Shoulder workout. The weights and reps are not 100% accurate, just an estimation from what I recall.

warm UpWide Grip Pull Down: 8 x 120lbs

I like this kinda warm ups. Go a little heavy but do lesser reps (for a warm up). After some stretching, it's time to go.

1) Wide Grip Pull Down: 10 x 170lbs, 10 x 160lbs, 10 x 150lbs

Very good. Really focus on the squeezing of my lats.

2) T-Bar Row: 10-12 x 145lbs, 10-12 x 110lbs, 10-12 x 135lbs

This sucks, really. Last week I did them with no problem whatsoever but for this workout I have such a hard time controlling the unweighted side of the barbell as it kept moving up. The T-Bar Row I'm doing is the free weight, no supported version whereby I load only one side of a barbell, use a parallel handle and start rowing. The weights I stated are only the plates. Either way, it sucks, and I can hardly control it. Not because it's too heavy, it just kept on rolling around. Will do Seated Rows instead.

3) Reverse Grip Pull Down: 8 x 180lbs, 6-8 x 180lbs, 6-8 x 180lbs (force reps and negatives)

Awesome! The intensity is really going up and the negatives are painfully nice.

4) Bent Over Barbell Row: 12 x 155lbs, 12 x 175lbs, 10 x 175lbs

SWEET. Grip is still hurting from Wednesday's Stiff Legged Deads, have to use straps for this one. First 2 sets I exploded during the positive part of the lift and squeeze the crap outta my lats. The 3rd set was done with normal speed but the form is strict nonetheless.

5) Barbell Shrug: 3 x 10-12 @ 175lbs

Did it with a hip thrust. Not bad. Straps required.

6) Dumbbell Shrug: 3 x 10-12 @ 60lbs.

Good. Form is on. Used straps again.

7) Seated Side Lateral Raises: 2 x 12 @ 20lbs, 1 x 12 @ 25lbs

I did them in moderate speed with very strict form. Not much swinging whatsoever. Can feel the burn on my delts.

8) Skull Crushers: 2 x 10-12 @ 70lbs, 1 x 6 @ 80lbs

Wierd addition huh? Just fo the hell of it. Good burn.

9) Arnold Press: 1 x 8 @ 50lbs, 2 x 8 @ 40lbs

Getting better. First 2 sets my friend spotted me through and gave me some force reps. Should be able to nail 55lbs soon.

10) Upright Row: 3 x 12 @ 12.5kg

The barbell I'm using are the smaller ones. Very good effort.

Overall my workout is good. With expection of the T-Bar Row, everything else was done spot on my just what I was expecting. Hopefully the momentum keeps on going.

BTW, if you notice my workout lifts compared to the previous one (in this journal) few months back ain't exactly that much of a difference, that's partly because at that time I admited that my form ain't exactly as good as now. Back than I pull for the sake of pulling w/o much focusing and squeezing. Right now I totally realize the importance of good form and I am performing the lifts much stricter therefore never comprising form for heavier weights.
    Last edited by Vsire; 04-18-2005 at 12:38 AM.

Yesterday's Chest and Arms workout

Low Incline DB Bench
    40lbs x 8 (warm up)
    2 x 60lbs x 4
    55lbs x 6-8
    45lbs x 8

It was bad, really bad. I mean, my bench is already weak enough and right now it actually got worse. My left wrist was trembling throughout when dealing with the 60s and I'm trying my best to keep the form proper. Will most likely start with the 50s-55s next week.

Incline Flye
    2 x 30lbs x 12
    35lbs x 12

Pretty decent. Tried to bend my elbows more during the negative.

Seated Machine Chest Press
    200lbs x 4
    150lbs x 8

A complete mess. My chest is pretty whack by than and apparently too much weight, too little rest. Will stay at 150lbs next week and rep it.

Skull Crusher
    2 x 10kg x 10
    12.5kg x 8

Good. Nice burn. Not my best though.

Seated DB Tricep Extension
    20lbs x 10
    2 x 15lbs x 10

OK. Trying to feel the pump for both sides

Single Arm Pressdown
    45lbs x 8
    35lbs x 10

Dumbbell Curl
    30lbs x 6
    25lbs x 8
    20lbs x 10

With cheating. Should be able to handle the 25lbs consistently.

Incline Hammer Curl
    25lbs x 6-8
    2 x 20lbs x 8

Concentration Curl
    2 x 15lbs x 10-12

At around 28 sets, this is way too much volume for me. Strange thing is that I still feel kinda fresh after the workout, not exhausted as all. Guess my intensity level needs to increase.

Diet wise...

5.30am- Protein Shake
    10.30am- Protein Shake
    12.00pm- Chicken Cutlet Rice (skin remove and ate 1/2 serving rice)
    3pm- Protein Shake
    4.45pm- Protein Bar
    7.30pm- Post Workout Shake
    9.00pm- 3 grilled fish, closlaw
    11pm- Protein Shake with skim milk

Pretty ****ed up diet. Don't even have time to eat. The options sucks too.

Leg Day yesterday... Trained on Tuesday instead of Wednesday

Squat
    8 x 135 (warm up)
    10 x 225
    5 x 245
    4 x 225 (ATF), dropset, 4 x 135 (ATF)

Single Leg Press
    12 x 260
    10 x 280
    10 x 280

Leg Extension
    12 x 100
    2 x 10 x 110

Stiff Legged Deadlift
    8 x 135 (warm up)
    8 x 245
    3 x 265 (mix grip)
    4-6 x 225

Seated Leg Curl
    12 x 100lbs
    12 x 100lbs

Single Leg Curl
    8 x 80lbs
    8 x 90lbs
    8 x 40lbs

Leg Press Calve Raise
    3 x 12 x 280lbs

Standing Calve Raise
    2 x 390lbs x 12
    1 x 390lbs x 20 (speed raises for last 8 reps)

Total Sets: 22
    Workout's High Note: Squatting 5 x 245 (managing to keep it constant)
    Workout's Low Note: I was hoping to SLDL 265 for more than 3 but grip gave out

Overall Comment: Pretty good workout. Intensity could have gone higher. For my Squat of 265 I should have look up a little higher and apparently my back was a little rounded. Overall it's still doing fine, just need to retify this problem next workout by keeping my back more upright.

Weight (measured after workout): 85kg (187lbs). A little lighter than expected.

What I ate:

5.30am- Protein Shake
    10.30am- Protein Shake, Milo
    1 pm- Chicken Rice
    4 pm- BK Chicken Tenders (oh ****), skim milk
    7.30pm (post workout)- Protein Shake, Creatine
    9.30pm- Tofu, Pork Chops, 1/2 a bowl of rice
    11pm. Protein Shake with skim milk

Diet a bit off. However, still 10x better than what I used to eat. Must do better today. It's good thus far.

Back later to update tml's Back (no pun intened) and Shoulder's workout.
    Last edited by Vsire; 04-19-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Trained My Back and Delts on Thursday instead of Friday.

Overall it was pretty decent but I still need to reduce the weight of my pulldown cuz the bar seemed to reach only around my chin to neck level. The squeeze is still there though.

A quick recap...

Wide Grip Pulldown
    10 x 170
    10 x 160
    10 x 150

Barbell Row
    12 x 175lbs
    2 x 10-12 x 200lbs

Reverse Grip Pulldown
    3 x 8-10 x 180lbs

Seated Cable Row
    8-10 x 180lbs
    8 x 200lbs
    12-15 x 160lbs

Military Press
    8 x 90lbs
    2 x 6 x 110lbs

Seated Side Lateral Raise
    3 x 10 x 20lbs

Seated Rear Delt Raise
    2 x 10 @ 15lbs, 1 x 10 @ 20lbs

*superset*

EZ Upright Row
    2 x 7.5kg x 12, 1 x 10kg x 12

Smith Machine Shoulder Press
    135 x 12-15
    155 x 10-12
    175 x 8-10

Barbell Shrug
    135 x 12
    225 x 6-8

Total Sets- 29

My diet is ok. Had a bit of indulge but it's suppose to be my cheat day anyway so it's cool. Weighed myself and now at 85kg (187lbs). Lost 1.5kg (3.3lbs).

Quote Originally Posted by Vsire
    To lose 14lbs in almost 3 months (11 weeks), my plan is to shed around 1.25lbs every week, which I will take my weight every Friday after my workout.
    We have like the same exact stats and I am also losing 1.25lbs a week, so far for 4 weeks I have done this.

What bf% do you think you will be at when you lose the 14lbs? Remember some of it will be muscle, and the fat comes off everywhere not just where you want it to come off from.

I have seen people, at our height, with good genetics, at like 155-160 and they look shredded and ripped and muscular. I wonder if it is necessary to go that low to get that look. What do you think?
    Last edited by Dedicated; 04-23-2005 at 10:29 AM.

Hi Dedicated. Not sure bout you, but my current situation is that my BF is kinda too high for my liking and either way I have to lose those excess fat. Right now I'm at 187lbs, but due to my BF I certainly don't look as heavy as I look since my bod is not too dominated with muscles. After dropping the 14lbs and reaching 176lbs, my BF will most likely be around 15% or slightly lesser. Which than I will decide should I continue to lean even more or start a clean bulk.

In my opinion, for someone at 5ft 8, 155lbs-160lbs lean and tight will look pretty damn respectable already, considering most of it are muscles. My old officer is around that weight and has a BF of around 10% and he looks good. Let alone a BF ranging from 6-8%

Did Chest, Arms on Monday and Legs yesterday. For the former my bench is still sucking pretty bad. Will start with 50lbs next week.

Leg Day was good. The lifts bettered last weeks in weights, reps or both. However, my form for Squat was a bit off yesterday as my back seemed to be rounded a little too much yesterday which I don't feel my legs doing as much work as it should. Will reduce the weight to 235lbs next week instead of 245lbs. Everything else was good. The leg press was particularly intense.

Diet was a bit off yesterday. Ate too much carbs, and some not so healthy food. Getting back on track today. Oh BTW, I recently bought Pro Complex and the taste is better than expected (Strawberry flavour).

Weight still at 85kg (187lbs). Actually did Cardio a few times and actually gained back some confidence. After all the smoking, I actually still can run! Looking forward for more cardio in the future.

Diet for today thus far...

Meal 1 (0630)- 1 1/4 scoop Pro Complex, Tuna bread (w/mayo) (40g P)
    Meal 2 (0930)- 2 eggs with 1 yolk removed, Hashbrown (ouch) (10g P)
    Meal 3 (1100)- 1 scoop Pro Complex (27.5g P)
    Meal 4 (1230)- 3/4 serving of Hor Fun, chicken, prawns and veggies (15g Pro)

Will eat very little carbs from meal 4 onwards for today..

Back and Delts this Friday...
    Last edited by Vsire; 04-27-2005 at 10:57 PM.

Friday's Back/Shoulder workout was good. Everything went well in terms of form and weights. Weighed mywelf and now at 84.5kg (186lbs). Lost another 1lb. I can't really remember that exact weights I used so I shall not post my workout review, all I can say is it was satisfying and worth the effort and sweat.

Had my cheat day yesterday and enjoyed 2 pieces of KFC chicken along with some side dishes. Hmmm... indulge a bit of chocolate and besides that everything else was fairly clean. At first I decided to have 1 cheat day everyday which means for lunch and dinner I can pretty much blast anything I desire along with snacks like chocolate, ice cream, etc (reasonable amount, obviously). However, right now I'm trying to split my cheat day into 2 days (Sat and Sun). So today my diet will be clean throughout, just that for dinner I'll most likely have pizza and maybe some cake or ice cream. Really looking forward to it.

Right now I was hoping to reach 80kg (176lbs) during the next 7-8 weeks. However, now I will let the dateline be more versatile as I am pretty confident to hit 80kg as long as my diet and cardio keeps steady. For the past 3 weeks I have lost around 2kg (4.4lbs) already, and seems that most of them are bodyfat. So keep it up...

This will be my diet during my clean days, from Monday to Friday...

Meal 1- Upon Rising- 1.5 scoops of Pro-Complex (40g Protein, 2g Carb, 1.5g Fat, 1g SF)
    9.30am- 2 whole eggs, 1 fish fillet, 1 ham, 1 slice of bread, black coffee (20g Protein, 20g Carbs, 10g Fat, 5 g SF)
    Meal 2- 12.00pm- 1 scoop Pro Complex (27.5g Protein, 1 g Crab, 1 g Fat, 0.5g SF)
    Meal 3- 3.pm- Chicken with half a bowl rice, tea (25g Protein, 25g Carbs, 3 g Fat, 2 g SF)
    Meal 4- 5.pm- 1 serving low fat banana milk (10 g protein, 20g carbs, 3 g Fat, 2 g SF)
    Meal 5- 7.00pm- 1 scoop Pro Complex, 1 serving Glucose, Creatine (27.5 g Protein, 45g Carbs, 1g F, 0.5g SF)
    Meal 6- 8.pm- Chicken Rice (30 g Protein, 30 g Carbs, 3 g Fat)
    Meal 7- 11.pm- 1 scoop Pro Complex with 1 serving skim milk, 1 tbs Peanut Butter (40g protein, 15 g carbs, 8 g fat, 1.8 g SF)

Total

Protein- 220g (80g from whole food)
    Carbs- 160g
    Fat- 30g
    SF- 14g

As you can tell my diet lack of EFA and fibre, which will work on later. Should be buying Udo's Choice soon. I will try to increase my Protein a bit more through Whole foods.

Later~