Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tankette's Journal

Tankette's Journal

Well I guess I'll start w/ a little background info:

I'm 24 years old, 5'3", 105 lbs, and female.

Current Goal: Gain ~10 more lbs. muscle.

A bit of History:

I played sports for 3 years in high school and during that time weighed 115-120 lbs. I quit playing sports my senior year and quit working out regularly. I dropped down to 100 lbs which is pretty much what I weigh when I eat normally and don't excercise. However, when I don't work out, common adjectives that people use to describe me are skinny and/or scrawny. I consider myself attractive, but anyone who has ever been described that way, male or female, understands how those words are anything but compliments. I have since then worked out off and on, but I've never been serious enough about it to make any significant weight gains.

A few months ago, I decided to go for it. I began working out and eating a bit more healthy. Both my work out regimen and my diet have changed as I have learned more about them. My biggest hurdle was to eat enough calories. Because of this, I have only gained about 5 lbs of muscle since I began (but gained no fat). I am now at ~2600-2700 calories per day. ~25-30% fat(~75 g), ~50-55% carbs (~400 g), and ~ 20% protein (~120 g). I'll try this for a week or so and see how it goes. I'd be happy to hear any constructive criticism that you have to offer.

* I currently work out at home, so I am limited to a weight bench and an eliptical cardio machine. Oh, and I have no one to spot me and don't have a smith nor a rack, so that kind of limits the amount of weight I can safely use on a couple of exercises.

My current work out routine:

Monday: off
    Tuesday: chin ups (unweighted) 10/8/6
    barbell curl 45x10/50x8/50x6
    reverse barbell curl 30x10/35x8/35x6
    dumbell curl 20x10/20x8/drop set 25/20x6
    bent over row 20x10/20x8/25x6
    wrist curl 15x10/20x8/25x6
    reverse wrist curl 5x10/10x8/15x6
    lateral raise 5x10/10x8/10x6
    abs 50 crunches, 50 reverse crunches, 50 side crunches
    Wednesday: off / 45 min cardio
    standing calf raises 1 leg + 30 lbs (3 sets of 25, straight/ toe in/ toe out)
    Thursday: bench 65x10/70x8/75x6
    incline 55x10/60x8/65x6
    military press 45x10/50x8/55x6
    fly curls 15x10/20x8/20x6
    DB tricep extensions 10x10/drop set 10/15x8/15x6
    BB tricep extensions 10x30/10x35/10x40
    weighted dips (bench/chair + DB) 25x10/30x8/35x6
    Friday: off / 45 min cardio
    standing calf raises 1 leg + 30 lbs (3 setsof 25, straight/
    toe in/ toe out)
    Saturday: squats - 75x20/75x20/75x20
    (75lbs is as much as I feel comfortable lifting onto and off of my shoulders by myself.)
    DB lunges - 30x20/40x20/40x20
    SLDL - 75x20/75x20/75x20
    (Way too easy, need to fix that.)
    standing calf raises 1 leg + 30 lbs (3 sets of 25 straight/toe in/ toe out)
    Sunday: off / 45 min cardio

Average daily meals: (2673 cal, ~690 fat, ~1415 carb, ~122 prot)

6:00 - total w/skim milk + banana + 1 TBSP olive oil
    8:00 - egg + cantaloupe
    10:00 - natty PB + banana sandwich on whole wheat w/ 1% milk
    12:00 - plain oatmeal w/1% milk and strawberries
    2:00 - turkey + lettuce sandwich on whole wheat
    4:00 - cream of wheat
    6:00 - post work out whey protein + 1TBSP honey (no honey on off days)
    8:00 - sweet potato + broccoli + 1TBSP olive oil
    10:00 - V8

Snacks between meals include 1 cup dry wheat chex and an orange.

Supplements:

Whey
    Flax oil
    biotin
    glutamine
    multivitamin

I'd love any advice or comments that anyone has to offer. I am definitely a work in progress.
    Last edited by Tankette; 05-09-2003 at 08:05 AM.

diet looks solid,finally someone who isnt afraid of carbs.

my only advice would be to drop the glutamine and save your money, lots of different thoughts on this supp. but im convinced its healthy, but not necessary.

my other advice would be to join a gym access to more equipment, sounds like you could be pushing your body to do more if you had the equipment.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

good luck with the journal! and welcome to WBB

ohyeah... and...

"Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Good luck with your goals Tankette!

Thanks all! And thank you, Webb, for the feedback. You're right about glutamine...It is expensive, and I might have to drop it after I finish up what little I have left due to that reason alone. And I definitely plan to join a gym...in 14 days and counting. As soon as school gets out, I'll have a lot more time, and I can't wait to see how far I can push myself.
    Last edited by Tankette; 05-08-2003 at 06:58 AM.

Welcome to the boards Tankette. Your diet looks solid, some impressive lifts as well. I would agree with Webb on the Glutamine. I personally have never felt any benefit from it.

Good luck with your goals!

Thanks Mik...Quick question for all, I've read a few posts on the forums stating the need for at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night to make good gains. I haven't been tired, but I've only been getting about 5. Sometimes it seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day. Does any one have any strong opinions on the subject?
    Last edited by Tankette; 05-08-2003 at 07:54 AM.

i dont know if you NEED 8-9 hours or else you wont make gains. but i mean i like to try to get 6-8 hours just so i can have some energy throughout the day. i mean, if you ever see any pics of aka23 and then see how much sleep he's been getting, you will see that sleep doesnt play an enormous factor IMO. but i think it does help.
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

I personally feel if I get less than 7 or 8, I may not feel tired but I burn out quick and my training starts to slip. Maybe that's just me but I would agree with the studies that promote 8 hrs or so of quality zzzzs.

I'll have to work on those sleeping habits.

BTW, Where do you go to see pics? Do people post them on this site? I'd love to place names w/faces (or bodies as it may be).

quite a few people put their pictures in thier journals. also, there is a Member Pics section of the boards as well.

heres the link to the Members Pic forum:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/foru...?s=&forumid=43

your body will tell you when you arent getting enough rest. are you always too busy to have the occasional afternoon nap? i depend on my nap time, it is a necessity.

as for the pictures, check the members pic forum first like suggested, and there are several journals with pictures, the only problem is that most journals are so many pages that it takes forever to scroll through it to find the pics.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Thanks for the info. everyone, and the link, Ghetto.
    Last edited by Tankette; 05-08-2003 at 10:23 AM.

Originally posted by Tankette
    Thanks Mik...Quick question for all, I've read a few posts on the forums stating the need for at least 8-9 hours of sleep per night to make good gains. I haven't been tired, but I've only been getting about 5. Sometimes it seems like there just aren't enough hours in the day. Does any one have any strong opinions on the subject?
    Different people need different amounts of sleep. About 8 hours is average for adults. Some people only need 5 or less, and others need 10 or more. You mentioned that you do not feel tired. Do you wake up feeling refreshed and full of energy? Do you find that you perform better on days you get more sleep? Did you used to get more sleep in the past?

I did get more sleep in the past. My sleeping habits have only changed in the past few days (I think since I've been eating more), but I do wake up feeling great. As for performance, Tuesday's work out went fine, and I wasn't dragging yesterday during my cardio.

yo tankette- just peeking in. i agree with mrwebb 78 on joining a gym. more equipment and ull learn more being there. most people are helpfu.
    good luck.

ybw

Thanks Brick.

ok Tank, your turn to post pics then

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Originally posted by MrWebb78
    ok Tank, your turn to post pics then
    i agree

My scanner's broken at the moment, but first chance I get, I will.

Yesterday was hectic, but before I get into that, I want to make a couple of comments. I have read time and again that soreness is not an indication of muscle growth, and I can accept that; however, it sure makes me feel like I've accomplished something. I always get DOMS after my chest/triceps workout and am usually sore for two to three days despite the glutamine. However, I never get sore from working biceps/brachialis (even though I use as much weight as I can on my last two sets)...Until my last workout after which I was slightly sore for one day.

I just started working out legs recently. Before, I was running about 4 miles/day every couple of days. Now, it's usually too hot to run outside (for me anyway), and I want to see some muscle growth. (I'm sure that this is another big reason I haven't gained much muscle mass since I began working out.) So as you can see, I've added a leg day. This is the first time that I've done squats, weighted lunges, and SLDL (another reason a.k.a. excuse for the low amount of weight that I'm using). After the first two workouts, I became extremely sore inspite of the low weight. Now...not so much. Again, I know I need to add weight, but that's hard to do on squats w/o a spot...more excuses. I'm joining a gymn in 13 days and counting.

Yesterday, my diet was perfect. As per the last few days, I only got about 5 hours sleep. I was a little tired when I got home from work, so I took Webb's advice and had a little nap...Okay, a big one. I woke up in a tornado...literally.

A tornado tore through Moore, OK yesterday destroying 1500 houses and injuring over 100 people. I watched it go directly above my house. Fortunately for me (not for those now homeless), the real damage began about a mile north of where I live.

My electricity was out until around midnight. I know, I know, just an excuse not to finish my leg workout. I was able to do 3 sets of squats and 3 sets of SLDL (both at 75x20, 95x18, 115x16). I couldn't lift the last two sets over my head for squats, but I was able to recruit some assistance, which is usually not an option. I had to stop when it got too dark, and I drank my post workout whey by candlelight.

Well, I got plenty of sleep last night. The schools here are closed for the day due to the extensive tornado damage within the district. I am looking forward to finishing my leg workout today, doing cardio, and making a trip to the grocery store. I can't wait to try out Big Ron's "Every bite's a winner" homemade protein bar recipe.
    Last edited by Tankette; 05-09-2003 at 07:28 AM.

im sorry to hear about the tornado, i'm happy to hear that your alright.

about your chest/tri's always being sore, and your back/bi's not, the same thing happens to me quite a bit except vice-versa. my back is usually always stiff after a back workout, but usually my chest isnt. crazy aint it?

in my 5 years of working out i have never had sore biceps the next day. theyve had that "tired" feeling a couple times, but never soreness. the more you work out the more it will take to ignite that muscle soreness in your other muscles as well. i agree though, i like to have some pain in my muscles to let me know i did something the previous day.

as for the glutamine, nobody even knows for sure what causes muscle soreness, so they cant come up with a supplement to counteract that soreness. its just another one of those supplement company claims.

i heard a little bit about the nasty weather on the news, but i was upset over my Kings losing last night, so i didnt pay much attention to the news sorry. but at least youre ok.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Originally posted by Tankette
    I did get more sleep in the past. My sleeping habits have only changed in the past few days (I think since I've been eating more), but I do wake up feeling great. As for performance, Tuesday's work out went fine, and I wasn't dragging yesterday during my cardio.
    If it was a sudden change in sleeping habits; then it is likely that you are developing a sleep deficit, which could result in reduced performance/recovery. This seems especially likely since you mentioned that you felt tired and were able to take a long nap in a later post. These types of sudden changes in sleeping habits can have many causes including anxiety/stress, medical/health changes, diet changes, and sleep environment changes. When I saw my doctor about insomnia problems, he gave me a pamphlet with some sleeping tips. The tips are identical to the ones that are listed at http://www.caminomedical.org/handouts/insomnia.html .
    Last edited by aka23; 05-09-2003 at 09:43 AM.