The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

BIGGER biceps & triceps!!?

I've been training for a few months now..in my first few weeks of training..I made great gains in size of biceps and triceps..but lately I haven't noticed any different..

My biceps and triceps are getting more defined..yet they're the same size..anyone got any reccomendations for routines?

I work out one muscle everyday (Monday is chest&tris though)..and saturday sunday are off..

Tri Workout:
    Dips: 2x8
    Extensions: 4x10, 8, 8, 6
    Dumbbell Skullcrushers: 3x10, 8, 6

Biceps:
    Preacher Curls: 3x8
    Hammer Curls: 3x8
    Standing Barbell Curls (21ís): 2x21

I'm really trying to gain size..I've been eating like a monster..and am growing in every aspect except for bi's and tri's...especially biceps..

Help a brother out.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Under Construction
    Post your whole split. That may help.

Also, I would drop the 21's and do regular heavy barbell curls instead.

Might want to do close bench instead of extensions.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Back off the volume.

eat more.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

gain weight and you should see your bis and tris to grow
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

are you doing legs too?

Mannequin's Lover
    Biceps lacking what, actually belly size or peak?

I'd do the barbell curls first, but make sure you use an E-Z Curl bar, it's less strain on the wrists. This exercise is the main routine that will pack on more muscle.

I'd leave the preachers til the end. I'd even alternate between dumbell concentration curls and this, as they both are related in developing the peak of the actual bicep.
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-19-2003 at 08:25 PM.

Banned
    I have absolutely no peak whatsoever..I've been eating like a monster..atleast for my size..155 lbs..I'm eating about 3000 Cals..usually by the end of the day I'm so stuffed I can't even move..

Ironfist..what kind of routine you do?

Btw..this is my weekly routine..

Day 1: Chest and Triceps

Chest
    Bench press: 4x10, 8, 8, 6
    Incline bench press: 3x10
    Flat Dumbbell Flies: 3x8

Triceps
    Dips: 2x8
    Extensions: 4x10, 8, 8, 6
    Dumbbell Skullcrushers: 3x10, 8, 6

Day 2: Legs

Legs
    Squats: 4x10, 8, 8, 6
    Lunge: 3x8
    Lying Leg Curls: 3x8
    Calf Raises: 4x8

Day 3: Back and Abs

Back:
    Chin-Ups: 3x10
    Bent Over Rows: 3x8
    Deadlifts: 3x8 reps
    Shrugs: 1x10

Abs:
    Machine Twists: 2x15
    Inclined Leg Raises: 4x15

Day 4: Biceps

Biceps
    Preacher Curls: 3x8
    Hammer Curls: 3x8
    Standing Barbell Curls (21ís): 2x21

Day 5: Shoulders

Shoulders:
    Military Press: 4x10, 8, 6, 4
    Front Dumbbell Raises: 3x8
    Dumbell Lateral Raises: 3x10

Day 6: Off [Abs]

Abs:
    Lying Leg Raises: 4x15
    Crunches: 4x15

Day 7: OFF

ever person's body is different and you might be overtraining. also the results might come it time and you'll just have to be doing what you are currently doing. as for you routine, I'LL (just me) drop the 21s and try 4-6 rep range for 4 sets of 2 different exercises. mix something up and experiment you'll never know what kinda of results you'll have unless you try.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

Banned
    How does something like this sound?

Standing Barbell Curls: 3x8
    Hammer Curls: 2x8
    Preacher Curls: 2x8

Sounds like too much isolation work on a small muscle.

You're doing almost as many sets (7) for biceps on biceps (only) day as you're doing for the entire back (10).

Most people that worry about not having enough peak to the biceps lack biceps mass, period. Genetics determines the shape of the muscle, you lifting/eating/recovery determine the size. When your biceps get bigger they'll have a peak if you're destined to have one. Doing preacher curls isn't going to give you a peak. Arnold had assymetry of his biceps. If he wasn't able to get one side to gain more peak and be like the other one, you're not going to either.

I commend you on doing leg work. Most people that ask about biceps size around here don't do much leg work, if any at all.

Concentrate on the big compound movements. Your arms will gain size along with the rest of your body.

Try not directly training them for awhile. I've done this twice now, just leaving them to pushes and pulls for a month or two. Then when I come back they grow so extreamly fast it by far makes of for the mediocre growth they abtained during indirect work.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Cut down to about 5 sets of each. Increase the weight and go between 4-6 reps.
    Stop doing 21s, they are one of the worst things you can do if you want growth.

Use heavy compount movemnts like barbell curls and dumbell curls

BB curls and DB curls are not compound movements.

Originally posted by Delphi
    BB curls and DB curls are not compound movements.
    They are compound bicep exercises. I mean he should do these instead of preacher curls and all other isolation exercises.
    When a muscle comprises of different parts and an exercise stilulates all parts of that muscle it is also classified as a compound exercise.
    It doesn't necessarily have to include muscle from other muscle groups to be a compound exercise..

A compound exercise is one that involves more than one joint.

Squats have movement at the hips and knees. Compound.

Curls have movement at the elbows only. Isolation.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    BB curls and DB curls are considered "bread and butter" exercises but as delphi pointed out they are not compound

rows would be compound exercises where the bi's are used

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Originally posted by Holto
    BB curls and DB curls are considered "bread and butter" exercises
    by who?

Wannabebig Member
    what the f*ck is the "21's" you guys are talking about?

Wannabebig Member
    21's as I remember are done by curling a bar. 7 times from the bottom curling to your arms make 90 degree angle. Then 7 times from the 90 degree angle to the top (your chest), then 7 times doing full curls bottom to top. Someone else explain that. please

Wannabebig Member
    hehe ok, well never heard of it before.
    sounds pretty strange...

Originally posted by Delphi
    A compound exercise is one that involves more than one joint.

Squats have movement at the hips and knees. Compound.

Curls have movement at the elbows only. Isolation.

Fair enough. My original point though is still valid. That he is better off sticking to BB curls and dumbell curls.

Banned
    Thanks for all the responses..I always thought that more reps equals more growth..

For example..2 sets of 15-20 is better then 3 sets of 4-6..am I correct or not?

I think I'm gonna keep my triceps excercises..I really feel the burn for 2-3 days even after I do em..

As for the biceps..hows something like this..

Standing BB Curls: 3x6
    Hammer Curls: 2x6
    Standing DB Curls: 3x6

This way..even though I'll still be doing 7 sets..I'll have a lot less reps overall..so I can put a lot heavier weight..yes or no?
    Last edited by MD2000; 07-20-2003 at 03:54 PM.

Originally posted by MD2000
    Thanks for all the responses..I always thought that more reps equals more growth..

For example..2 sets of 15-20 is better then 3 sets of 4-6..am I correct or not?

I think I'm gonna keep my triceps excercises..I really feel the burn for 2-3 days even after I do em..

As for the biceps..hows something like this..

Standing BB Curls: 3x6
    Hammer Curls: 2x6
    Standing DB Curls: 3x6

This way..even though I'll still be doing 7 sets..I'll have a lot less reps overall..so I can put a lot heavier weight..yes or no?
    3 sets of 4-6 is much much much better than 2 sets of 15-20. More reps definately does not mean more growth. You listed 8 sets not seven. I would nearly do 2 sets of each exercise. Six sets in all, that is plenty. And yes you should be able to do heavier weight and induce much more muscle growth.

Banned
    So 2x6 for each excercise? Wow..I'm not used to doing so little sets but I guess I'll give it a try..

And now that I think of it..maybe I should modify my tri's as well for muscle growth..I do a lot of reps..and it hurts but I haven't seen growth..

Dips: 2x6
    Extensions: 4x6
    Dumbbell Skullcrushers: 3x6

??

Yeah, try the same for triceps. Remember, although you are doing fewer sets and fewer reps you will be doing heavier weight, and do each set to failure making sure that the failure occurs between the 4th and 6th rep. If you get more than 6 reps on a set go heavier the next time.
    The key is progression and intensity

Try it for a month and see how it works for you.