The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks for the replies..now..a couple new questions..

Would you guys reccomend changing all of my reps to 4-6? For example..instead of benching 4x10,8,8,6..would 4x6 be more beneficial? (Ofcourse with more weight)

Also..I'm moving my tricep days seperate from my chest days. Since I train really hard on chest days..I don't have any energy left for tris..could I move em to shoulders at the end of the week instead?

Banned
    upping

Do less volume. IMO you are doing to much cut the sets in half and work with the heaviest weight possible in strict form. I noticed that "bicep day" and "back day" come one after the other during the week. Back routines indirectly work the biceps so therefor you are training biceps 2 days in a row. Maybe do biceps on back day and give yourself another rest day. Cut back the volume and train your back first then kill your biceps. Good luck.

Since you've been training high volume for a while now, mabye its time to shock your system w/ some good ole fashing compound movements. Example split

MOnday (chest, tri, shoulders)

Flat or incline bench: 8, 8, 6 (all to failure, forced rep on last one)
    Clean and jerks: 3 x 8
    weighted dips: bodyweight plus as much as you can handle for 3x8

Wednesday (legs)
    Squat: 3 x 8. Each set should be intense enough to require a few minutes rest between each. You might even feel like puking if you are willing to push hard enough. Have a spotter watch your form when working out this hard
    Stiff leg dead lifts: 3x8-12. Again, make sure you're keeping your legs bent properly so the majority of the lift is in your hams, not your back

Friday (back & bis)
    1 Pull ups (not chin ups): 3x 8 w/ bodyweight + whatever you can handle.
    2 Deadlifts: 3 x 6-8. Theres nothing like em. Man vs. weight. Grrrrr. Watch ur form
    3 Some type of heavy bicep curl. Try inclinced dumbell curls and get the full range of motion. Big biceps!!!!!

I'm not sure how much bigger I got while doing this, but I got strong as an ox. I actually successfully rolled over a geo metro by myself. My friends stood in absolute awe. Its okay though, my friend owns a junk yard, I didnt destroy someones car
    Engine WAS in it.
    D

Are you adding weight each week on your Barbell o Dumbells Curl and your Triceps Extension ?

if not change your program, you won't grow without getting stronger, you need a big Curl and Extension to have big arms !
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

Banned
    What exactly do you guys mean by lower volume? Are you referring to bi's&tri's? Or the rest of my workout?

I only do 10 sets of chest & back, 14 sets of legs, and 9 sets of shoulders..considering that they are pretty big muscles..isn't that necessary?

I am able to add weight every one or two weeks and I do everything to failure..

btw..thanks for the help so far.

Originally posted by Delphi
    A compound exercise is one that involves more than one joint.

Squats have movement at the hips and knees. Compound.

Curls have movement at the elbows only. Isolation.

Well, if you really want to get technical, the vast majority of trainees will curl their wrists during the movement, thus making it a compound movement by definition...

It really is more of an isolation movement, but I figured the facts are the facts.

Originally posted by MD2000
    What exactly do you guys mean by lower volume? Are you referring to bi's&tri's? Or the rest of my workout?

I only do 10 sets of chest & back, 14 sets of legs, and 9 sets of shoulders..considering that they are pretty big muscles..isn't that necessary?

I am able to add weight every one or two weeks and I do everything to failure..

btw..thanks for the help so far.
    If you include warmups, I do 5 sets or so per bodypart, if you exclude warmups it is 2-3.

I have good size and strength for a natural weightlifter. The volume you mentioned is NOT necessary. The correct volume varies by individual. I would be willing to guess you can stand a few less sets.

As for your lack of size increase, you stated you are getting more defined, thus leaner. If you are getting leaner, but not losing any size, then you are adding muscle.

Banned
    Actually..the first set for most of the excercises can be considered a warm-up. Since I usually have no trouble doing it..

And dirty-c..what's the difference between a chin-up & pull-up? I thought they were the same thing..

The Tuna Tempter
    A chinup is done with your palms facing you.

A pullup is done with your palms facing away from you.
    Life's too short to be small

Originally posted by Tank23
    A chinup is done with your palms facing you.

A pullup is done with your palms facing away from you.
    Agreed.

I've heard others argue the definition, and although there apparently isn't any "exact science" to it, I know this:

I've never, ever seen anyone execute the move with their palms facing outward, while pulling all the way up with their chin facing the bar. Thus the term "Chin Ups".

When I see people going "palms-out", they're typically pulling themselves up so that the bar is BEHIND their head. That has nothing to do with your chin, the way I see it.
    Last edited by Majestic; 07-24-2003 at 08:26 PM.

Originally posted by EVER-LAST
    Do less volume. IMO you are doing to much cut the sets in half and work with the heaviest weight possible in strict form. I noticed that "bicep day" and "back day" come one after the other during the week. Back routines indirectly work the biceps so therefor you are training biceps 2 days in a row. Maybe do biceps on back day and give yourself another rest day. Cut back the volume and train your back first then kill your biceps. Good luck.
    Very good advice IMO. Slow down a little bit big guy!! I read an article once I think it was in T-Mag, titled squat for big arms. I would do more heavy squating. Ya really dont need all those countless sets of isolation movements unless you are at a more advanced level.Stick to compound lifts, some arm work is OK, just not so much. my 0.02