The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Starting a new lifestyle.

Starting this journal is the next step in my road to becoming a healthier, happier person. Thankfully, I have never had a weight problem. Actually, at 22, I have only gained a few pounds since high school, despite my horrible eating habits and lack of exercise. I am a fast-food addict. Since I live alone and am a full time student, it's much easier to swing by Burger King for dinner than to cook at home. By last spring, I was finding it hard to fit in my clothes. I decided to change.

For 5 months now I've been lifting weights. Although I'm certainly not up in "Arnold's" league, I've made much progress. I also do some form of cardio 3 to 4 times per week. Despite my dedication to these areas, I'm still having trouble with my diet. I need to be held accountable for what I eat. This is why I'm beginning this journal. Suggestions about any part of my program will be appreciated. Note: any comments about the weight-lifting should also be directed at homeyield since he helps me in that area.

Here is yesterday's leg workout:

Squat:
    Bar x 7, 10kg x 5 (warm-up)
    20kg x 8, then x 7
    17.5kg x 7

SLDL:
    Bar x 5, 5kg x 5, 15 x 3 (warm-up)
    20kg x 6, then x 8

Leg Press:
    40kg x 6 (warm-up)
    80kg x 6 (PR)
    70kg x 14 (max last week was only 8 of these)

Calves:
    60 x 7
    80 x 10
    70 x 12

Walking Lunges:
    24lbs. x 6
    30lbs. x 12
    40lbs. x 10 (PR)

2 pull-ups and 2 chin-ups (both unassisted) to show-off for HY.

(Just to clear up any speculation, I am the girl HY visits in Charleston.)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Cool goodluck with your new journal!

Oh, wait... no PDA.

It was an awesome leg day, girl! And those pull-ups and chin-ups were badass.

Now lets just get that diet panned out and you'll be golden.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Of course HomeYield is helping you out, I see lunges in there.

Good luck on the goals. With Will helping, you'll definitely make improvements.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Welcome to journal land!
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Best of luck

...I hear your deadlift form is perfect -

So you're the mystery lurker! Welcome to WBB!

If you stick to it, you'll be amazed by how much a journal can help your progress!

Originally posted by rookiebldr
    Of course HomeYield is helping you out, I see lunges in there.

Good luck on the goals. With Will helping, you'll definitely make improvements.
    Foshow! Lunges are the bomb my Canadian friend.

Oh yeah...

welcome to journal land BD.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Hey girlie!

I'm so glad he finally got your computer working so that you can post! You gonna get Sara posting here too?

(And.......are y'all gonna do that show with us next August? Don't try to fib, I know y'all thought about it - especially after seeing that one lady up there! If she has the guts to get up there in spandex, y'all can DEFINITELY do it!)

(And what's with the weights in kg? It makes you sound like a European or something! )
    You can't babysit this.

Wannabebig Member
    Dedicated: Thanks.

HY: In regards to the . . . dream on. I appreciate your help on Sat. You are always so encouraging, and that helps me work even harder.

Rookiebldr: We all know HY and his lunges! I must admit, I enjoy the burn myself!

Bruteman: Thanks.

Cocoa: I wouldnít say itís perfect. Then again, if HY says it is, who am I to argue!

Scott S: Yes, Iím the lurker. Iím a bit hesitant to start this journal, but I think itís just what I need to get on track.

Shane: Thanks.

Carolinagirl: It would be great if Sara would post, but Iím still working on that. As far as August, Iím flirting with the idea myself. I doubt Sara would compete though. She has a bit of a confidence problem. Iím working on that too. The weights in my gym are almost all in kg, and Iím too lazy to change them to lbs. Maybe one day Iíll do that.

I forgot to mention my goals in the first post. I want to have a diet that is the most beneficial to my lifting. From what Iíve gathered, that means high protein, and more complex carbs than simple. I want to get at least 1200 calories a day, if possible, 1500 (some days, I barely get 1000). Any suggestions on how I can spice this diet up would be great since grilled chicken and sweet potatoes get boring quick (I donít know how you people cut weight!).

I lift 3 days/week (pull, push, and leg days) and try to get in 3-4 cardio sessions also.
    Iíll be posting this stuff too.

Todayís diet:
    Meal 1: Honey Nut Cheerios w/ skim milk
    Meal 2: Light yogurt
    Meal 3: Turkey sand. (wheat bread), wheat thins
    Meal 4: cottage cheese and peaches
    Meal 5: Stir-fry w/ grilled chicken (I was starving by then and ate the entire family-sized portion.)

Total Calories: 1511
    25% Fat
    51% Carbs
    24% Protein

Thatís all.

Calories ended up coming out better than you thought they would. That's quite a bit better.

Did you keep the filter to my shaker? I didn't find it. I knew you said you wanted a better one but taking mine?

Good luck on your test today! Are you working out after that or waiting until tomorrow?
    What is elite?

Welcome to journal land BD! Good luck with your goals. Having HY help with training and getting your diet in order will help you get there. Diet looked good yesterday!

Originally posted by Belladonna
    Todayís diet:
    Meal 1: Honey Nut Cheerios w/ skim milk
    Meal 2: Light yogurt
    Meal 3: Turkey sand. (wheat bread), wheat thins
    Meal 4: cottage cheese and peaches
    Meal 5: Stir-fry w/ grilled chicken (I was starving by then and ate the entire family-sized portion.)

Total Calories: 1511
    25% Fat
    51% Carbs
    24% Protein
    Much as you complain about your diet......this actually doesn't look that bad, girl. The only thing is that your protein intake isn't quite high enough, and some of your choices aren't ideal. I try to get in some kind of protein with every meal. This helps keep the total protein intake up where it needs to be and it also helps limit consumption of useless-type carbs (such as - ahem - Honey Nut Cheerios ) Here's what I would have changed about yesterday if I were the boss of your diet:

Meal 1 would change to oatmeal and eggs. I know you said you don't cook...even the plain instant kind of oatmeal (with splenda to make it taste good) would probably be better than cold cereal. And if you *really* can't stand making scrambled eggs in the morning, you could hardboil a bunch at a time and eat those - they'd be quick and would also travel well for snacks and stuff. You REALLY do need some kind of protein first thing in the morning - your body's been without nutrients for 8+ hours.
    Meal 2 is pure carbs too - if you can figure out a way to add protein here it would be beneficial. (Lots of people seem to like yogurt mixed with cottage cheese; I've never tried it myself, but if you like it, that could do the trick.) Or maybe a hardboiled egg or two toted to school in your backpack. Or even a scoop of protein powder mixed in with the yogurt, or half of a Trioplex, or something. (Mmmmmm. Trioplex.) :drool:
    Meal 3 is pretty good; I'd drop the wheat thins (again, non-beneficial carbs, so essentially empty calories) and maybe substitute an apple or a small salad. (And add veggies to the sandwich too...that's an easy way to sneak in extra veggies to your intake.) (Also, most of the fat in your diet probably came from those wheat thins....there's MUCH better kinds of fat for you. I'd rather try to get my fat from fish and fish oil, or from olive oil, than from lousy old wheat thins that are mostly partially hydrogenated oils anyhow! )
    Meals 4 and 5 are just fine. In fact, they're about perfect....except maybe switch the order of them. (Cottage cheese is a GREAT before-bed meal b/c the protein in it is the type that digests most slowly.)

If you're doing a LOT of cardio (I don't remember if you said you are or not) you may actually need a relatively high carb intake....but ideally most of it would come in the form of carbs that add some positive benefit (ie, fiber, vitamins, whatever - like veggies and those ubiquitous sweet potatoes) rather than ones that just fill up calories.

(Oh, and since you said you're a fast food junkie....Galileo was telling me last night that Burger King has a new chicken mustard baguette thingy that's actually darned good, nutritionally. If you really get stuck without anything good to eat, you might try that!)
    You can't babysit this.

Do that voodoo that he do
    Welcome to posting on WBB!

I look forward to meeting you in January, make sure Will brings you. I need to meet the woman that puts up with his sh*t.

I'd agree with Heath's assessment of your diet. It's not bad. That being said, she is correct with her recommendations, assuming your goals are similar to those that she has (I think they probably are within reason). As you are new to this, you may not want to leap right into what she suggested, though. Try fixing one meal at a time, starting with meal one.

Congratulations on making the change!
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

HEY. You sound like I was trying to Diet-Nazi her ass. I was being totally reasonable!!

All I said was, try to eat protein at every meal and try to get carbs/fats from good sources. I didn't say she has to start eating perfectly clean right now.

(Oh...You did say you're kicking around the idea of doing the show with us, right, J? Woo hoo!)
    You can't babysit this.

Don't worry, baby-doll (Heath). I agree with you 100%, like I said. I am only suggesting that if she's a junk food addict, she may have an easier time slowly adjusting.

Much love to you.

-galileo

Wannabebig Member
    HY: Yes, I do have your shaker filter. Unfortunately, it doesnít do me any good without the top and bottom.

Mik: Thanks.

Carolinagirl: Thanks for all the advice! Usually I eat eggs, cottage cheese, and fruit for breakfast, but this week has been a bit out of the ordinary. I donít have a lot of time between my classes to eat (only 10 mins.), so thatís why I usually ďsnackĒ on things like wheat thins so not to starve before lunch. Iím planning to get some Triplex bars so I can cut out the snack foods. It really takes some planning to pull all this off!

Borris: Thanks for the welcome and Iím looking forward to meeting you too!

Tuesdayís diet:
    Breakfast: Frosted Mini-wheats (I know its bad carolinagirl)
    Snack: Yogurt
    Lunch: Peanut butter/jelly sand.
    Snack: apple
    Pre- and post- workout shake
    Dinner: Grilled chicken sand., lett/tomato, 1 beer

Calories 1393
    Fat 23%
    Carbs 46%
    Protein 26%

The past few days have been horrible! I had a huge exam yesterday (Tuesday), and my food intake reflected the stress. After staying up most of the night (studying and worrying), I found myself eating a lot of sugar to stay awake during the day. I know now to plan better next time. I also went out with a friend to celebrate his birthday last night. It was a lot of fun but it added even more time to my recent sleep loss (Iím starting to sound like Will)!

Tuesday workout:
    Pull-ups-(Wide grip) 10 x 6, 9x 9, 9x 8
    (Narrow grip) 8 x 8, 8x 7

DB rows- 12lbs. x 8
    20lbs. x 8
    15lbs. x 10 (twice)

Machine rows- 60 x 10
    60 x 6
    50 x 12

Bicep curls- 11lbs. x 6
    16.5lbs. x 7
    16.5lbs. x 6 (numbers look odd b/c plates are in kg)

Hyperextensions- 5.5lbs. x 10
    11lbs. x 12
    16.5lbs. x 8

Another set of narrow grip pull-ups- 8 x 10

My workout partnerís boyfriend told her that she is starting to look like a man since sheís been working out. The girl might weight 105 lbs. so you can imagine how ďmanlyĒ she looks. Itís in her head now that she shouldnít work out as much, and she wonít listen to reason. She looks great and has made such improvements in the gym. I just wish he would stop being jealous of her ability to curl more than he can, and just support her!

That diet looks awfully low cal, otherwise it's really not too bad.

Tell your friend to get rid of the boyfriend. If he's curling less than a 105 lb girl, that's one thing (embarassing, but I'm not one to throw rocks, being another weakling ). However, to say something vicious to her because she's trying to improve herself... tuttut

-galileo

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar

coolz, another journal for me to entertain myself with at work

your friend's bf is a big dork. he's prob worried that she'll look so good, he can't withstand the competition from the dudes.

good luck

beer??

Originally posted by Belladonna
    My workout partnerís boyfriend told her that she is starting to look like a man since sheís been working out.....I just wish he would stop being jealous of her ability to curl more than he can, and just support her!
    I'm going to be less tactful than Borris was, here. (Not that you'd expect anything else from me. )

Sara looks great. He's just a big insecure moron. He's probably afraid of her being the best that she can be, because he's probably afraid that she'll leave him when she realizes that she's better than he is. And that's just sad.

I thought she was an amazing girl. She's got so much on the ball, and she handles all her many, MANY responsibilities so well. She certainly doesn't need to be wasting her emotional energy babysitting another "kid", instead of getting support and respect and love from a partner.

Grrrrr.

On another note.......that diet wasn't that bad, for a test day! (Those Trioplex bars will save your life...I'm buying two or three BOXES this weekend! ) How'd that exam go?
    You can't babysit this.

Happy Birthday, girl!

Hope its a good one!

You might want to mention that on barbelll exercises you tend to forget to count the weight of the bar. Adds a bit to those curls.

And does that shaker filter not fit into yours? I thought you took it to use in yours.

We all know Sara's bf is just jealous. He tries to workout and it just upsets him that she's more ripped and stronger than he is. Not to mention better looking.

Have a great day and I'll talk to you later!
    What is elite?

Wannabebig Member
    Borris: I agree that Iíve been lower in calories than I should be. I never get hungry until late at night, and by then Iím starving. Maybe I should start force feeding myself! My goal was 1500 calories per day, but Iím thinking I might need more like 1800. What do you think? I am 5í4Ē and weigh 118lbs.

Chops: As long as the entertainment is not at my expense! Oh, the beer was what I had while celebrating my friendsí birthday. Since I am usually lacking in the calorie area, Iíll claim every bit that I can!

Heath: I was so proud of Sara yesterday after our leg workout. She actually said that she wanted her legs to get larger! Sara has never said she wants to be bigger! Seems sheís starting to ignore him a little! The test didnít go as well as I had hoped (I got a C). I was disappointed because I did so well on all other exams. For some reason, this one just stumped me.

HY: I will certainly remember to add the bar from now on! Thanks for reminding me.

This is actually the second time Iíve tried to post these replies. Last night I spent 30 mins. writing everything out, just to find that I had been logged off during that time. The whole entry was lost. I guess Iíll have to start writing posts in Word then copying them into my journal. Iím a bit behind so below is Wednesdayís and Thursdayís stuff.

Wed. diet (10/15)
    Meal 1: Oatmeal
    Snack: Wheat thins
    Meal 2: Pasta and sauce, steamed broccoli/cauliflower
    Meal 3: roast beef sand.
    Meal 4: tuna, sweet potato
    Snack: cottage cheese

Calories: 1551
    Fat 37%
    Carbs 35%
    Protein 28%

Cardio: 30 minutes on elliptical machine
    15 minutes on bike

My heart rate stayed in the upper level of my target, and the cardio felt great!

Thursday (10/16)
    Meal 1: egg whites, toast w/ low sugar jelly
    Meal 2: tuna w/ relish, mustard
    Snack: Ĺ of a detour bar
    Meal 3: Pre- and post- workout shakes
    Meal 4: grilled chicken sand. w/ lett/tomato
    Snack: cottage cheese, banana

Calories:1349
    Fat 21%
    Carbs 28%
    Protein 51%

I had a much better protein intake on Thursday, but the calories are still really low (especially on a day when I had a hard leg workout). Force feeding is starting to look like the answer.

Thursday leg workout: (bar weight has been added)
    Squats: Bar x 6, 30kg x 4
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 9
    37.5kg x 7
    (Increase of a couple of reps from last week. Think I should increase weight.)

SLDL: Bar x 5, 27.5 x 5
    40kg x 10
    40kg x 4
    35kg x 6
    (Iíve done 45kg before, I just have a grip problem. That should be taken care of since Will gave me some straps.)

Leg Press: 40kg x 6
    80kg x 10
    80kg x 8
    (This was awesome since I only did 80 x 6 last week. I think I could move up here too!)

Calves: 60 x 8
    80 x 10
    80 x 10

Lunges: 12lbs. x 6
    20lbs. x 10
    20lbs. x 8

This was one of the best workouts Iíve ever had! For some reason, I was full of energy. Even Sara (my workout partner) increased her leg press by 20kg (44lbs)!! HY and I are going to visit our parents this weekend and celebrate birthdays. Iím sure Iíll have a piece of cake but it wonít kill me.
    Last edited by Belladonna; 10-17-2003 at 10:34 AM.

Happy Birthday! Y'all have a great time. (And yes, eat cake.......you still have to have a life too!) Y'all have fun at home.

(I just figured out that your screenname is probably after Bella. That cutie.)

That's great about Sara. (Get her to start a journal too!) And.....you KNOW you'll kill the next test. I wouldn't worry too much.

Have fun this weekend! (And don't forget Will's strainer thingy to his shaker cup or none of us will EVER hear the end of it!)
    You can't babysit this.

*drinks out of shaker with appropriate filter*

*tries to think of something else witty to say*

*fails miserably*

Some damn good workouts! I'm so proud of you and those squats and the leg presses and the lunges and everything else. Some massive jumps from last time and should do real well in getting your confidence boosted up so you can get closer to a suitable weight where you'll really start seeing the results come out. More so than they already are.

*flexes rear double bi*
    What is elite?

Um, I think you meant <double guns>.

You can't babysit this.