Thread: Sodium loading

I understand what is carb loading before a contest but i've heard that some bbs do sodium loading,even it's a little bit unhealthy.What is it and why do they do it?Maybe to reduce water retention?..

El Guapo
    I have heard of this method before but from what I've heard it is a risky way to get ready for a show, because sodium is what retains water therefore you can possibly come in looking soft. I will try to find info though bro

I practice sodium loading before my contests. Its a complicated process to explain but here goes:

From six weeks out I start to liberally add salt to my meals each day. This along with drinking huge amounts of water each day makes me look soft and puffy which can be very hard on your mind so close to competition. In the morning is the best time to access if you are getting leaner as your body will have procceced alot of the sodium and water while you were asleep.

Taking high amounts of sodium will keep aldestoserone(sp) levels low which is the chemical used by your body to retain water and sodium if needed. But your body doesn't need to retain any water or sodium as you are ingesting alot of it so this pushes the aldestoserone(sp) levels way down.

Now 4 days out from competition you cut out all excess sodium in your diet. Your aldestoserone levels will still stay low for about 4-5 days before realizing their is no sodium present in the body to retain water for its needs
    You keep water levels high until 3 days out to flush all the sodium out of your body. You decrease water intake by half 3 days out,down by a quarter the next day then by another quarter the final day before the show. This still leaves me drinking about 4 litres a day which at this point is very little to what my body is used to. I dont deyhdrate as this will make your muscles smaller, to keep them full keep drinking a reasonable amount of water in sips.
    Note that 3 days out I also change to distilled water.

This is the best and safest diuretic you can use to get super dry before a show, better than harsh chemical diuretics.

So,it's not that easy!!!
    That's why lots of people when need to reduce water retention take diuretics.. Btw,i think that there are diuretic formulas that don't contain chemicals.Ex. taraxatone which has dandelion root,etc.. Do you reffer to other,more hardcore stuff?
    Anyway I'll try this process,even complicated,it's really sophisticated...

El Guapo
    Now that you mention it Ronan, I think MissA did do a sodium load on me. Very low sodium though. Eggs have sodium in them and I can't remember what else did but once I cut those out, then use her water flush method it was super ripped.

Maybe I will try this next time I take a trip to the beach.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici

Yes Buff, we did do a "minor" sodium load on you with egg whites.

You have to remember that each egg white had 85 mgs of sodium. So by using the whites as part of a load process, it creates much of the same hormonal values that Ronan was talking about. By using the whites much of the process is exactly the same, just in a more controlled enviroment. ( Easy on me, when I am not with a competitior to watch what is going on with the body.)

MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

BUMP FOR BEERCAN!

Bespoke Super Mod
    Bumped for Robboe
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02