The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some equipment questions

Just wondering on some minor things, like wrist and knee wraps, if the brand really matters much. I was hoping someone would have been at the meet I was helping out with, but the guy there only sold illegal suits and other miscellaneous bs.

I noticed on elitefts they have some Metal wraps and bands, along with pretty much the rest of the line of gear.

Currently I train with the following equipment:

Chalk

So, I think that knee wraps will be somewhat important soon, as my partner says that they can be painful at first, and it's better to learn to train with them sooner rather than later. Wrist wraps aren't expensive, and I figure if I start benching more, I may get soreness. I did at some point in the past on HST, so I'd rather have them in case I need them, than not.

I don't know what else I'd need for now. I'm in no big rush, as I don't plan on competing at least for 3-6 months minimum, and then I'd have to check if there is a local meet.

I know we've had equipment discussions before but they are sorta all over the place.

I don't know if I'll get a belt or not. I probably will break down eventually, or see if it's THAT critical. I'm guessing when I seriously start taxing myself, I may start to want to use one if it helps with my totals. So far I've always trained raw and been perfectly content to do so. I may even contemplate my first comp completely raw, but not sure if that would garner more respect, or be viewed as condescension, so I guess I'll have to see how much of a disadvantage I'd be at without the gear.

Some guys could barely walk, and had their hands parallel with their shoulders half the day with their suits and shirts on. Funny to watch but I realize it's part of the sport.

Thanks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Train and lift they way YOU like. Raw or equipped.

IMO, the brand of wrap doens't matter much, although I'm sure some will find things about specific brands they like.

I use 2 brands of knee wraps - I have old loose generic ones, and newer tight Inzer wraps, and some generic wrist wraps (that need to be replaced).

I use the wrist wraps virtually every ME bench day. I rarely use my knee wraps in training.

I only wear my belt for DE box squats.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

As far as wraps go, I've heard nothing but good about Titan Signatures....however, last I checked they were phasing those out for a newer product, and I don't know if they've gotten it out yet since I haven't looked.

I've been loving the Red Devils I got from them, though, and Inzer's another good one to look at.

The wrist and knee wraps are all I use so far (well, besides chalk), so I can't comment on bench shirts, squat suits, briefs, belts, or any of the rest just yet.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Inzer's are great and not too expensive.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Cool, yeah it seemed at the meet, most people were either using Inzer gear, or Metal.

I think I'm just going to get knee and wrist wraps and basically continue lifting raw, or as raw as it's considered with wraps.

I was helping a team of 3 get a guys belt one notch tighter before he got his deadlift record. He also needed two guys to get his deadlift suit on. I don't know how he could breath, and he could barely walk in it. Oh well, he got a 292.5kg deadlift in the 87.5kg weight class, so more power to him. Then I was in charge of him as I was the marshall for the meet.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Have any of you ordered from monstermuscle.com? Or is there a better place, or better prices?

They also have inzer deadlift shoes which seem cheaply priced, and the lever belt which I'd get if I actually wanted a belt. Elite only has a pronged belt, and I don't think they have shoes, and only care metal gear.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Ok, sometimes i should take my own advice, and use the search engine first. It seems montermuscle is very reputable, so no need to chime in.

But for a belt, do you think pronged versus lever is superior? I'd think otherwise, just because you can set the prong semi-tight, and then lock in with the lever so you are super tight.

I think I'll get the wraps, both wrist and knee, and the shoes and the belt. Should I get 20 inch or 36 inch wrist wraps? I have pretty big wrists, but I'm wondering if 36 is overkill.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Bespoke Super Mod
    I've got the Reebok dead shoes and absolutely love them
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Hey frankie, the guy I train with says I should get wrestling shoes, or something to deadlift in. There isn't much choice on the internet, and not sure where to go in canada, so I can get stuff from monstermuscle at a good price. They only have one brand but they are only $39 US anyway.

Did it make a difference for you on maxes and stuff? I'm guessing if you love them they helped somewhat, or at least made things more comfortable. For that price I'm willing to get them, and they don't look completely retarded so if I walk around the gym in them, I won't feel too bad.

Any other suggestions?

Current FFFA Enforcer

Hell I've been doing my max deadlifts barefoot recently.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I'd go with a prong belt. The lever belts are a pain to adjust.

I think the longer wrist wraps are overkill, and some federations (USAPL/IPF ) limit the length. Mine are 12 inches, and work just fine.

I deadlift in cross trainers. My deadlift sucks. I doubt it's the shoes.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Matt, unfortunately barefoot deadlifting is not legal in competition.

Paul, I'd agree it's easier to adjust a pronged belt, but the thing with the lever belt is you make the adjustment the first time you get it, and then it's always at the right size. You just put it on loose, and when you're ready you snap the lever and it's tight. Maybe I'm missing something regarding this, but I see it as better. But haven't tried it so was just looking for more opinions. Maybe I'll just skip the belt for now. Just that if I order online, I'd rather get everything I probably will need for the near future.

I think I'll get the mid-sized wraps, I'm guessing 36 IS overkill, but 12 would probably only go around once, and then maybe a bit of overlap and that's it. I have very thick wrists, so rather have a bit more than a bit less.

As for shoes, I don't think it's a huge deal, but I guess an inch or half an inch off the ROM, can be significant if it's a max lift and you are borderline. They have better grip and ankle support than my current shoes and are cheap. Normally I'd agree with you and skip them, but Harnek said I should get some, so maybe I'll listen to him since they aren't really that pricey. If they only add piece of mind so be it.

So I guess the only undecided is pronged belt or not. Harnek uses the lever belt and it looks pretty simple enough, although I guess the pronged belt would be better if you like things super tight, I believe he doesn't like it to be THAT tight, so maybe it's a personal preference thing.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Belt- Pronged is really good if you tend to change the tightness of your belt alot. I always use the same fit so i lever is much better. In a meet i just leave the lever undone and when i need to go lift i just have to snap it shut instead of finding the right hole for the prong to go in.
    Knee wraps - I have the titan signatures and there good but they fall apart quickly. I know a few other guys with the same problem. Most people use the inzer ones and they are supposed to last a lot longer then the signatures
    I dont wear wrist wraps yet so i cant help much there. If you want you could get a long pair for training and max competition length so you could use those in a meet.
    Shoes - For deadlifting i just use Aquasocks. There very thin soled and have lots of grip and last for a long time. cost about 5 bucks and you can get lots of different colors Wal mart and canadian tire have them
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

What is max competition length for wraps? 20 inches on the wrist? I'm guessing the 2m knee wraps are competition legal since these seem to be the standard size for most of them.

WTF are aquasocks? I'll have to check them out now. But if it's not like a shoe then I'd rather just get the shoes, I don't really want to keep going into the changeroom to change what I'm wearing during the workout.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Aquasocks are those really cheap shoes you wear in the water when you are going canoeing or something. They tend to be low cut, very good gripping soles (normally for like wet rocks and stuff), and fit pretty snug like socks.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

the lengths vary by federation.

I like the prong belt because I wear it loose in training for DE squats, but tighten it up on heavier stuff.

Other than that, use whatever you like. The support will be the same.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Basically I will try to stick with IPF regulations, since I believe that is what the CPU and OPA here are guaged by.

One of the guys I was in charge with last sunday for drug testing made elite total status in the 67.5kg weight class I think it was. That's pretty damned amazing to see. I don't think there are THAT many elites running around, and to see it at a local meet is cool.

I'm hoping that I can get Class II status in my first comp. I think that would be a great achievement, and since it seems my squats are so far behind they can only go up. If they do then it shouldn't be a problem, even if I lifted raw. I would need a 600kg total if I was entered in the 100kg class which is sorta my short-term goal.

Dunno if I'd use a belt for DE squats, do you find it helps a lot Paul? I guess I'm going to have to just get the stuff and try it out, as everyone will probably feel it makes more or less difference, etc.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I think they are 2 meter knee wraps... I don't remember how long the wrist wraps can be, but I do remember there being a limitation.

Here is the USAPL rulebook (they are IPF):
    http://www.usapowerlifting.com/ruleb...lebook2000.pdf
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

1 meter wrist wraps are OK.

Class II in your first meet would be awesome.

Where are your lifts now, and when do you think you would be competing?
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Hmm...my lifts now I haven't really established maxes yet.

Right now I can or have done the following:

Deadlift 525 - I have a lot of improving to do, haven't deadlifted that long, and just coming off a break. Feeling like I have a lot left in me. Also, will experiment with sumo deads but so far am comfy with conventional or shoulder width stance.

Bench 305 - I benched 305 on monday, not with a pause mind you, and I understand that will make a significant difference. But I moved the bar very smoothly throughout the ROM, and again, just started benching heavy again.

Squat 405x2 - Squats are the key for me. They are my biggest weakness, but I haven't ever had someone to train with for them, so going by my other lifts, and comparing to virtually every other lifter I've seen, my squats are freakishly low for my other lifts, so it stand to reason they will go up significantly now that I am free to max out or go to failure. That 405x2 also was not to legal depth, but am now training for depth.

I've only just started training in a powerlifting centric routine, so it stands to reason that I will only get better. I am training with an IPF licensed referee so it's great to see first hand what would and wouldn't pass. Also, he's competed all over the world, reffed all over the world, and trained for at least 20 years as a plifter.

All my lifts are raw, so if I did incorporate some equipment, it could only help my total.

But I don't plan on competing for at least 5 or 6 months, I realize I have a lot to learn with form, and much progress to make, so until then, I'd rather not compete, but will continue to help with local meets Harnek puts on.

If I just went in with those totals and was 10lbs lighter to get in the 100kg class, I would be semi-competitive now, but never have a chance of winning, so I want to come in and at least compete for first or second, instead of being at the bottom of the list.

Maybe my goals are high but I don't think so.

I am making the following goals: (all competition legal lifts)

Squat: 450
    Deadlift: 575
    Bench: 325

Total: 1350

I think this is pretty easy for me to reach, even in maybe 3 months time. Harnek seems to think once I work my squats out, and get bench form down, I should hit a 1400 total within 4-6 months. Either way, that would put me in Class II with some room to spare, so hopefully I can meet these goals. It's all about squats anyway, most guys that are deadlifting what I deadlift, are squatting at least 500 as well.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Pardon the long-winded response.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Don't worry about where you place, worry about your lifts. Where you place can change if one or two guys show up (or not).

I think your goals are pretty reasonable.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Originally posted by Paul Stagg
    Don't worry about where you place, worry about your lifts. Where you place can change if one or two guys show up (or not).

I think your goals are pretty reasonable.
    Yeah, I guess it's more of not wanting to be the "boob" of the division. I know everyone is supportive in the sport, but I am pretty competitive. I checked out about 6 or 7 results from meets in ontario, and even some nationals, and in that weight class, usually mid 600s wins, and then there are some high 500s and maybe someone in the 400s as well. Although, one freak had I think a 730 total in the 100kg class which was like 50kg heavier than the top guy in the 110 class. With a low to mid 600s I could at least be respectable in either 100 or 110, but not win.

As for goals, I'll just take it one step at a time. Focus will be on squats and overall lower body and core strength for the next 4-6 weeks.

Current FFFA Enforcer

And thanks for the comments and advice.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-09-2003 at 01:57 PM.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I have 20" wrist wraps and they are great.

I prefer the prong belts because I adjust the belt for different lifts. Much simpler than busting out a screw driver.

Your goals are definitely reasonable. I'm sure you saw at the meet though, get your squats ATF if you want to compete in the IPF!!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL