The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

I went on a little diet... 78lbs of fat in 4 months!

Like the title says, I went on a pretty hardcore 'Ketogenic' diet back on Feb 4th of this year. I am 5'10" and was 255lbs with a 40" waist... 4 months later I was 177lbs with a 32" waist and a legit 9% BF. I can post the details of my diet if anyone is interested.

I feel much better now What do y'all think?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well if It's all realy just since february. All I have to say is welcome to "THE" club
    "Why is there always time to do things twice, but never time to do things right?"

I am very interested, but based on your layout I cant help the feeling that you are setting everything up for a sale. Checked out your website. Looks like you have many hobbies, which is a similar characteristic I have. I dive in to many things and when I do, I become very passionate about them. Well anyway, I await with anticipation your diet. Give us the whole break down. I hope your next post will not request funds through PayPal or something. If you are legit, I give you all props man. That is an awesome metamorphosis.

Edit: I forgot to welcome you. Still checking out your site. Lots of cool stuff on there. Currently viewing your diet notes. I noticed on some days you kept your calories below 1000 per day. Had many carbs too so I am sure that is not your Keto diet. I must say you are a super organized person.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 07-19-2003 at 11:41 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    "I am very interested, but based on your layout I cant help the feeling that you are setting everything up for a sale."
    Not sure why you would say this?!?

Here's my diet brocken down into months 1+2 @ 750 calories, month 3 @ 1000 calories, month 4 @ 1500 calories and my current 3000 calorie program... I am trying to put on a couple lbs of lean mass, I would like to get up to 200lbs of lean mass & keep my 32" waist. On a side note, I was monitored by a doctor on a weekly basis while dieting & I am starting to do some personal training & nutritional counseling here in Montreal.

holy cow, that's truly amazing! did you use any supplements or was it purely diet?(other than the bars...)
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

There may be hope yet. JustinASU's Avatar
    Silently Slipping into the dark abyss of Insanity
    A transformation like that in 4 months???? Good Lord man ANd there was no vitamin 'S' involved?
    Credulous at best
    Your desire to believe in
    Angels in the hearts of men.
    But pull your head on out of your hippie haze
    And give a listen
    Shouldn't have to say it all again

I think you look great, and your obviously worked hard as hell, all honor to that, but I do think you used steroids, because of the amount of time you mention, thats a lee priest like transformation.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Thanks for the diet man. I saw it on your site but was not sure if it was the one you were referring to. Since you said it was a keto diet, I expected the carbs to be minimal. Looks like you eat allot of carbs. Also, the amount of calories you took the first month is excessively low. I cannot believe you did not loose that much muscle when you very 700 calories. Was this the first time you ever really worked out? I am tempted to trying your diet, but the calories seem just way to low. When I was taking in 1400 calories per day, I did not get as good results as when I started with 2600. Well awesome work man. Love the home theatre too.

Originally posted by Rock
    I think you look great, and your obviously worked hard as hell, all honor to that, but I do think you used steroids, because of the amount of time you mention, thats a lee priest like transformation.
    :withstupi
    It's impressive even with steroids though. Admitting it will avoid plenty of flames from others.
    5-9 170

That is some awesome work. Did you have help with your diet or did you have prior experience with dieting?
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

Wannabebig Member
    w00t montreal!

Well since he was seeing a doctor on a weekly basis and the results are just awe inspiring I would say that steroids were used. I cannot believe he took 700 calories per day for a full month and did not loose so much muscle. Also, I hate to press the subject but what I understand of a keto diet is that it involves minimal carbohydrates. Based on his diet, it looks like most of his calories came from carbs and proteins. Looking at his pics it reminds me of the first time I worked out. Since it was the first time, I had incredible gains. Looking at some of the pics I saw on his websites shows a dramatic increase in acne too (maybe razor burns from shaving though) so I am guessing use of steroids. By the way, I hope I am not coming across as a skeptic asshole. I just think that the results are just crazy. Like I said before, if it all was done naturally only with exercise and extreme diet, I bow down to you.

someone raise the flag
    Something has been taken from deep inside of me
    The secret I’ve kept locked away no one can ever see
    Wounds so deep they never show they never go away
    Like moving pictures in my head for years and years they’ve played

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry for not responding sooner... I went away to my buddy’s country place for the weekend. There are some SERIOUS skeptics here! I would like to set the record straight on a couple of things.

1) I have been training 5 days a week for the past 6 years, my routine was mostly based on 'powerlifting' but with higher reps. I may have been fat, but I was strong 405lb DL 10 reps & 380lb BP 10 reps. I used to think to be strong like a horse, I had to eat like a horse... that's how ended up weighing as much as a horse. Under all that blubber I had a serious 'base'... this is me with King Kong Bundy 2 years ago. I never said I started training in February of this year, what I said was that I started dieting in February. Losing fat is quick and simple, gaining mass is a little more complicated and takes MUCH more time!

2) I am 31 years old and I did a cycle of D-bol when I was in college, when my cycle ended I was not mentally prepared for the off cycle effects and that explains the gap in my training between then and 6 years ago when I started training again. That was my one and only cycle (for now). I have nothing against 'the juice' but I don't think it's necessary to get some pretty serious results. I think that the reason most people are so impressed with it is because of the way people change their diets when on it… it’s actually the change in diet that is responsible for 75% of the gains. If you eat like you are juicing and train like you are juicing, I really believe you will see 75% of the results.

3) My wife has been struggling with weight issues (like 90% of all women) and after last New Years she decided that she had enough and wanted to do something radical about it. We found a diet called the ‘Protein Sparring Modified Fast’ that was developed by Dr. George Blackburn back in the 70’s. This is the basis of how people eat after a ‘gastric bypass’ operation and this ultimately how they lose weight so fast. Here’s a brief blurb about Blackburn and his PSMF diet “George L. Blackburn, M.D., Ph.D., is an internationally renowned expert in the fields of obesity and clinical nutrition. He earned his medical degree from Kansas Medical School and his doctorate in nutritional biochemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Blackburn currently holds the following appointments and positions at Harvard Medical School: S. Daniel Abraham Chair of Nutrition Medicine, Associate Professor of Surgery, and Associate Director of Nutrition, Division of Nutrition. He is also Director of Nutrition Support Services, Chief of the Nutritional/Metabolism Laboratory, and Director of the Center for the Study of Nutrition and Medicine at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. Dr. Blackburn is President of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, and immediate Past President of the American Society for Clinical Nutrition. A Fellow in the American College of Surgery, he chairs the Massachusetts Medical Society Committee on Nutrition, and the Scientific Advisory Committee for Shape Up America! (Koop Foundation).
    The protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF) diet was developed in the 1970s by George Blackburn, MD, PhD, associate professor of surgery and nutrition at Harvard Medical School. Blackburn, past president of the American Board of Nutrition and the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, found that patients required 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight in order to maintain a positive protein balance, rather than the 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram that was recommended by the US Department of Agriculture . Although some high-level athletes can consume on the order of 500 grams of protein per day during high-intensity competition, it is difficult for some people to consume adequate lean protein without consuming excess calories, or to eat lean meats or fish at each meal. One solution is the development of a formula that provides a complete, nutritionally balanced diet. A formula-only plan can ensure that the patient obtains all necessary protein, vitamins, and minerals, while losing weight on a plan that can provide as little as 800 calories per day. Protocols may be supplemented with coordinated nutritional bars and/or some self-prepared foods. A physician or other knowledgeable health care professional should supervise use of nutritional formulas.
    THE KETOGENTC OPTION: The Protein Fast through the induction of triglyceride catabolism, encourages the oxidation of free fatty acids at the hepatic level and provokes the famous physiological phenomenon of compensated acidoketosis that BLACKBURN called KETOGENESIS. The constant and controlled presence of ketone bodies in the body shows the perfect adaptation of the human system when subjected to a fast supplied with a precise amount of amino-acids.
    As long as the human body has an excess of fat that should be eliminated through ketogenesis and mainly through the Protein Fast, the effects of ketogenesis persist during this diet and supply the body with most of the energy it needs.
    All these metabolic reactions that take place during the Protein Fast and that Blackburn carefully described in his many books and articles, are absolutely safe.
    As a matter of fact, this method is based on strict scientific data and its application should be made according to a precise protocol.
    The Protein Fast has specific advantages that no other diet offers whether it is the low-calories or the dissociated diet. “

Here’s a shot of me and my wife at a New Years party we attended and another shot of us on vacation in June. And no, she is not ‘juicing’ either! I am also attaching a close up of her face, before and after. She wants to lose another 35lbs…

4) I decided that it would be easier for her to diet, if I tried watching what I ate as well. I was also intrigued by some of the research Blackburn had done where he discovered that people could not absorb large doses of protein in one meal & that the only way to get enough protein was to eat several small meals (sound familiar?). His research pointed to 15G’s of protein being what the ‘average’ person could absorb per meal, I decided to give 20G’s per meal a try spread out over 6 meals. After the 1st month I was down 25lbs and went from a size 40 being tight to a 38 being lose… it took a couple of weeks for my body to adjust, but after the 1st month I felt like I was on a roll. I continued losing weight for the next 3 months at a rate that was close to 20lbs per month. After the 2nd month I felt like I needed some more carbs (cold fingers and nose, tired all the time, etc…) so I upped my calories to 1000 and in month 4 I went up it again to 1500 calories. The weight kept coming off and the muscles started really showing. At the beginning of May I decided to get ‘waxed’ for the 1st time, and that explains the NASTY breakout on my chest that followed and lasted for about 10 days! It was not due to juicing, as you can clearly see that all those nasty pimples vanished in the following photos. When it comes to losing fat and understanding how digest and absorb protein, Blackburn is the MAN!

5) Here’s a COMPLETE list of all the supplements I took and am currently taking.

6) On a side note, my mom who is 55 years old also started following the same diet as us. Every week the 3 of us went to the doctor to get weighed and have our vitals checked. She managed to drop 50lbs in the past 5 months and her health has dramatically improved!

7) That’s it… I am going to bed as I must be up @ 4AM to hit the gym!

Andre Avigdor
    WWW.AVIGDOR.NET
    Last edited by Andre Avigdor; 07-20-2003 at 08:45 PM.

I stand corrected and commend you and your wife for the awesome change.

I was skeptic because it is very impressive. Take it kind of like a compliment though. I mean for some of us to think that, it indicates that your change was indeed significant. Now the reason why I thought that you were some sales representative is because your website layout and thread was very well organized. Every now and then sales people login and try to sell their stuff on these boards. Once I saw your website, I realized that you are well organized. I hope I did not offend you since I know how it feels to be accused. People thought the same thing about me when I started posting because of my writing style and fervor about certain things.

Glad to have you aboard man!

PS let me be the first to say this, “Show us your wheels”.

Wannabebig Member
    This is my wife and I on our bikes. We sent X-Mas cards out with this photo on it These are the world's 2 fastest bikes (Busa & ZX-12R)

And this is me with my car on the dyno (437.6HP & 527.7lb/ft @ the wheels or 514.8HP & 620.8lb/ft @ the crank)

is this an ad for something?

but nonetheless, damn, cell-tech poster child!

you had a damn strong base, but still great...congrats!
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Wannabebig Member
    "cell-tech poster child!"
    Why do you say that... and what could I possibly be selling??? I am just telling my story and if there are people out there that are trying to drop a couple of lbs this might just help them!

Wannabebig Member
    You look great! Hard Work and Dedication payin' off!

callin' u a poster child for cell-tech is a compliment!! you did a damn great job and just amazing!!

made your wife great (hot) and same with the mom (healthier) ...

you seem to be one hell of a personal trainer/motivator!
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Cell tech is an inside joke around here. It's not bad it's what we call great transformations like yours.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

"cell-tech poster child"

Is actually a correct analysis. As Andre pointed out his transfromation was mainly fat loss. If you look at the progress pics you can see that even before dieting at all, Andree had a lot of muscle "hiding" under fat. Many of the suplement companies use the same principal for less than honest reasons.

Unfortunately, we've been trained by supplement companies to believe that transformations like this are remarkable, but actually represent an old fashoned "extreme" bulk and cut.

Andre's transformation is great and I give him all the props he deserves. We are the ones who need to break out of the cycle of advertising and propganda and keep ourselves from always shouting vitamin "S" and not seeing what is right infromt of our eyes. A big guy who got big through training and diet then got cut through training and diet. It can actually happen, believe it or not - just not as often these days as it used to be.

Three people can keep a secret so long as two of them are dead

- Benjamin Franklin

Wannabebig Member
    Well said, Herc... Thanks!

Wannabebig Member

Wannabebig Member
    Plastik. what part do you think is BS? The shot of me beating King Kong Bundy in an armwrestle?