Thread: Fine Tuning A Diet

Wannabebig Member
    Im about to start an extremely intense weight training routine! In adition to that i kickbox 3 times a week and do cardio 3-4 times a week for 30 mins first thing in the morning! I'm trying to cut my bodyfat down but at the same time i don't want to sacrfice any muscle! I'm 5foot8 190 pounds and my daily caloric intake right now is 2,843 and im taking in 285g of protein 35g of fat(primarily EFA's) and 347g carbs(mostly complex)and i aslo drink 6 litres of water per day! The breakdown looks like this 49%carbs 40%protein 11% Fat! My main concern here is that i may be over compensating with calories in order to fully recover from my weekly training routine and therefor may be prohibiting any fat loss!! My other concern is that my carb level may be to high also to stimulate a fat loss but the thing is im trying to find a median where i'll be using up all the carbs and have an ideal environment for fat loss and muslce retention! The last time i trained this intensly i went with a much lower caloric value but my carbs were still remotly high and i lost too much weight way too fast so i was dropping body wieght but way too much muscle as well!! So theres my dilema guys i'd really aprreaciate any thoughts or concerns!!

My thoughts, only.....

You are about to start an intense weight training program, yet your are being a cardio queen right now ( no disrepect to all the cardio queens out there)

Let your weight trainig serve to build the muscle that will increase your metabolism naturally. Keep your cardio to a min. Let the food work.

I think 11% fat is a bit low in my opinion, I like diets a bit higher in fats. Not high fat just not 11%

You are dead on, that you are trying to compensate your diet to aid in recovery, however it doesn't work that way, nice try. Lift, rest and rest more.

You said that you are worried that your carb level is to high to stimulate fat loss. Please forget about all that stuff, that you have to eat low carbs to get lean.
    With the amount of work you are currently doing, you have to eat carbs so you do not chew up every muscle and fat cell in your body.

Carbs are not the enemy, eating to many calories and not doing enough work and not having sufficent muscle tissue are the enemy.

My suggestions for you:
    Take a deep breath and write down exactly what it is you are trying to accomplish in the next 4 weeks. From there calmly put your plan together.

I think you are mixing up to many values, and myths and getting over zealous. I love the energy, but as you said the last time, you lost to much body weight not just fat.

Those are my thoughts.... get the paper out. Think about what you really want.
    Also at 190 I would be curious to know what your skin fold measurements are and current body fat percentage, and where you really want to be.

[Edited by MissAbs on 02-04-2001 at 07:07 PM]
    MissAbs
    Dieting is a Sport-Eat to Win!

www.MissAbs.com

Wannabebig Member
    Don't get me wrong i've been training with weights for 3 years now im just starting a new routine thats extremely intense, 10 times more intense then the one i was doing that made me lose all the weight much to rapidly! I'm just asking these questions because i'm trying to be as cautious as i posibly can this time around! I really don't want to sacrifice any muscle this time around!! As for my measurements I have a 31 inch waist and am at 15% body fat right now, i am by no means fat i would just like to shed about 5% of my body fat! I am first and formost a kickboxer the weight training is summplementary and as for my goals its mearly to shed some bodyfat without sacrificing any of the muscle i've worked for!I hope this gives you more of a background of myself and where im coming from and more clearly states my goals so you can assist me! Thanks again for your time!

If it were me I'd do 50%protein, 30&carb,20%fat | or 45%p, 35%c, 20%f. Keep the protein up there.
    Lower the cals a little too. maybe -300 or -500/day the first time around for about a week and a half to 2weeks and see how it goes.
    Maybe lower it to about 2400-2500cals/day for the 1st week. You can tweak it from there. Assuming your intake is mostly protein, I wouldnt be too worried about losing significant LBM as long as you're not in a severe calorie deficit or not getting enough water.

I see youre taking in 6L of water. That ends up being like 1.5-1.6gallons. perfect amt IMHO.

Also, some may recommend creatine on a cut.

Takes some tweaking, but I'm sure It will pan-out.
    Last edited by AllUp; 03-25-2004 at 02:36 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

WOW,
    I have not been here for ages. How is the world?
    MissAbs....
    MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

Things are good! How are things on your side?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Things are just awesome.I am getting the itch to compete again. Don't ask me why in the world I think about these things..
    Seems like everyone here is good!
    MissAbs

www.MissAbs.com

MissAbs haven't seen you on this board, remember you from wherever we all used to be, was it the muscle and fiction website, can't remember.
    Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.These things are for lesser men.Protect the weak against the evil strong.And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

live by the code