Thread: Coming off a low carb diet . . . questions

Wannabebig New Member

Coming off a low carb diet . . . questions

I've just finished up dumping about 25 lbs. by following a low carb diet. I'm as light as I've been in the last ten years or so and am looking forward to getting fit by lifting. My goals are to gain overall lean body mass and much more upper body strength, which right now is severly lacking (pretty general goals I know, but I'm just starting out).

My questions are:

1. Can I add lean muscle mass while maintaining a low carb diet?

2. Is it harder to gain muscle mass while eating low carb?

3. If I can't gain lean muscle mass while eating low carb, will lifting consistently and sticking to a solid training routine (along with a clean diet) allow me to continue to lose body fat?

4. Is there a happy medium in carb intake (i.e. can I find a point where I'm eating enough carbs to fuel muscle growth, but not add wieght - anyone care to take a stab at a range of where that might be?? )

I understand that dietary requirements will be different for everyone and that everyone will be different in regards to adding muscle mass. What I'm looking for are some good guidelines to try.

TapRackBang
    Age 33
    Height 6' 4"
    Weight 192
    Body Fat 13.6%

Re: Coming off a low carb diet . . . questions

Originally posted by TapRackBang
    1. Can I add lean muscle mass while maintaining a low carb diet?
    You could possibly gain a small amount of muscle on a low carb (keto diet), but in general a low carb diet would not be the ideal diet for gaining LBM.

The main reason is because even though you are eating enough calories to support muscle growth your body is still in a catabolic state. Hormones such as glucagon would be high and the anabolic hormone insulin would be low.

2. Is it harder to gain muscle mass while eating low carb?
    Definitely.

3. If I can't gain lean muscle mass while eating low carb, will lifting consistently and sticking to a solid training routine (along with a clean diet) allow me to continue to lose body fat?
    Sure, just make sure that you are taking in adequate amounts of protein and essential fatty acids, while creating a moderate calorie deficit.

4. Is there a happy medium in carb intake (i.e. can I find a point where I'm eating enough carbs to fuel muscle growth, but not add wieght - anyone care to take a stab at a range of where that might be?? )
    Low-carb diets are nothing special as far as weight loss, and calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as far as weight loss/gain is concerned.

Experimentation is the best way to determine the ideal macronutrient ratios. I would slowly incorporate carbs back into your diet over the course of a few weeks. After introducing carbs back into your diet, then make sure you are getting 1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight, ~25-30% of your cals from fat, and then fill in the remaining cals with carbohydrates. If you then wanted to focus on gaining LBM then just increase calories in small increments each week until you are gaining ~.5lb. per week.

Again this would just be an estimate and you can increase and decrease the ratios to find out what works best for you.

While it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, I think you will see better results concentrating on one goal at a time. If you are wanting to add muscle then eat slightly above your maintenance calorie intake, and if you want to lose bf then eat slightly below maintenance calories.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks bradley. . .

I'm going to take your suggestion and ease back into the carbs.

TapRackBang
    Age 33
    Height 6' 4"
    Weight 192
    Body Fat 13.6%