Guys and Girls –
You have been so much help answering questions for me over the past few months. I’ve been posting a question here and question there, but I’m afraid I’ve somehow lost the big picture when trying to piece all of them together.
I’m looking to cut/tone – I’ve decided at about 1800-2000 calories a day is a good starting point. I’m hitting the gym twice a week for about an hour and doing a cardio/pilates routine once a week. Again, this is just a general fitness routine.
My questions are:
- being that 1800-2000 calories a day is my goal, should I try to do that in six 300 calorie meals, or would you do otherwise?
- for meal timing, would something like 6:30AM, 9:30AM, 12:30PM, 3:30PM, 7:30PM, 10:30PM be acceptable? 3:30PM would be my pre-workout meal and 7:30PM would be my post-workout meal.
- For fear of not sleeping well, I’d prefer not to eat 300 calories just before bed (10:30PM)…I could certainly slam an Optimum shake, but what other meals would those calories work best redistributed at. Maybe I could slam an Optimum shake with some dextrose along with a whole food meal at 7:30?
- in terms of what times of the day, when should I be eating which macro-nutrients? I’ve always heard to keep it low fat post workout?
- On that same note, when/what should I eat pre-workout? Whole foods at 12:30 and a “snack” at 3:30, or vice versa (workout time is about 6:15PM). I’m totally lost on the effects of insulin, etc.
- If I wanted to sneak a no-so-healthy snack in sometime during the day, does it really matter? Does it all boil down to calories in the end?
- Is everything we’ve touched on for NON workout days as well? I do the cardio/pilates routine on Sunday, Monday off, Tuesday is chest/shoulders/tris/cardio, Wednesday is legs/back/bis/cardio, Thursday is up in the air, Friday off, Saturday off. I will note that for work I sit in a cube all day…after work I’m relatively active (play golf or hit range balls on my days off from the gym).
- In terms of supplements, here’s what I’m taking: AM – multivitamin, flax seed oil, joint formula, EAS ephedra-free thermo. Pre-workout - EAS ephedra-free thermo. PM (post workout) – vit. C, vit. E, joint forumla, glutamin. Anything I need to add?
Thanks so much to all --- we're getting there!