The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member golfbobbyhill's Avatar

Lost on the diet...trying to put the pieces together.

Guys and Girls

You have been so much help answering questions for me over the past few months. Ive been posting a question here and question there, but Im afraid Ive somehow lost the big picture when trying to piece all of them together.

Im looking to cut/tone Ive decided at about 1800-2000 calories a day is a good starting point. Im hitting the gym twice a week for about an hour and doing a cardio/pilates routine once a week. Again, this is just a general fitness routine.

My questions are:

- being that 1800-2000 calories a day is my goal, should I try to do that in six 300 calorie meals, or would you do otherwise?

- for meal timing, would something like 6:30AM, 9:30AM, 12:30PM, 3:30PM, 7:30PM, 10:30PM be acceptable? 3:30PM would be my pre-workout meal and 7:30PM would be my post-workout meal.

- For fear of not sleeping well, Id prefer not to eat 300 calories just before bed (10:30PM)I could certainly slam an Optimum shake, but what other meals would those calories work best redistributed at. Maybe I could slam an Optimum shake with some dextrose along with a whole food meal at 7:30?

- in terms of what times of the day, when should I be eating which macro-nutrients? Ive always heard to keep it low fat post workout?

- On that same note, when/what should I eat pre-workout? Whole foods at 12:30 and a snack at 3:30, or vice versa (workout time is about 6:15PM). Im totally lost on the effects of insulin, etc.

- If I wanted to sneak a no-so-healthy snack in sometime during the day, does it really matter? Does it all boil down to calories in the end?

- Is everything weve touched on for NON workout days as well? I do the cardio/pilates routine on Sunday, Monday off, Tuesday is chest/shoulders/tris/cardio, Wednesday is legs/back/bis/cardio, Thursday is up in the air, Friday off, Saturday off. I will note that for work I sit in a cube all dayafter work Im relatively active (play golf or hit range balls on my days off from the gym).

- In terms of supplements, heres what Im taking: AM multivitamin, flax seed oil, joint formula, EAS ephedra-free thermo. Pre-workout - EAS ephedra-free thermo. PM (post workout) vit. C, vit. E, joint forumla, glutamin. Anything I need to add?

Thanks so much to all --- we're getting there!

bobby

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Before I answer - are you SURE your caloric needs are correct?

- being that 1800-2000 calories a day is my goal, should I try to do that in six 300 calorie meals, or would you do otherwise?

** I would do 4-6 meals.

- for meal timing, would something like 6:30AM, 9:30AM, 12:30PM, 3:30PM, 7:30PM, 10:30PM be acceptable? 3:30PM would be my pre-workout meal and 7:30PM would be my post-workout meal.

** Sure. It isn't THAT big a deal

- For fear of not sleeping well, Id prefer not to eat 300 calories just before bed (10:30PM)I could certainly slam an Optimum shake, but what other meals would those calories work best redistributed at. Maybe I could slam an Optimum shake with some dextrose along with a whole food meal at 7:30?

** spread them out, and make your last meal earlier. Don't overthink this.

- in terms of what times of the day, when should I be eating which macro-nutrients? Ive always heard to keep it low fat post workout?

** Other than low fat post workout (and probably pre workout), again, it doesn't really matter much.

- On that same note, when/what should I eat pre-workout? Whole foods at 12:30 and a snack at 3:30, or vice versa (workout time is about 6:15PM). Im totally lost on the effects of insulin, etc.

** Regular meals at both times.

- If I wanted to sneak a no-so-healthy snack in sometime during the day, does it really matter? Does it all boil down to calories in the end?

** It doesn't matter.

- Is everything weve touched on for NON workout days as well? I do the cardio/pilates routine on Sunday, Monday off, Tuesday is chest/shoulders/tris/cardio, Wednesday is legs/back/bis/cardio, Thursday is up in the air, Friday off, Saturday off. I will note that for work I sit in a cube all dayafter work Im relatively active (play golf or hit range balls on my days off from the gym).

** I wouldn't change anything except maybe the post workout meal on non workout days.

- In terms of supplements, heres what Im taking: AM multivitamin, flax seed oil, joint formula, EAS ephedra-free thermo. Pre-workout - EAS ephedra-free thermo. PM (post workout) vit. C, vit. E, joint forumla, glutamin. Anything I need to add?

** Nope.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Re: Lost on the diet...trying to put the pieces together.

Originally posted by golfbobbyhill
    My questions are:

Meal frequency is really not that important, although I would make sure to consume at least 3 meals per day. One meal upon waking and one before going to bed would also be a good idea.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...meal+frequency

Will you be taking in any calories immediately pre/post workout? Consuming a small amount of protein and carbs ~60 minutes (whole food) or ~30 minutes (shake) would be a good idea, and then follow it up with more protein and carbs post workout.

What about an Optimum shake made with milk before going to bed?

Also there would be no need to take in an Optimum shake w/dextrose along with a whole food meal. If you are going to use a post workout shake then that should be consumed immediately post workout and then a whole food meal ~90 minutes later.

Pre-wrokout small amount of carbs and protein (~25-35g of carbs and ~10-15g of protein). Post workout would be more of the same ~50g of carbs and ~25g of protein. I would recommend using carbs such as malto or dextrose, but whole foods could also be used (white bread, white rice, bagels, etc.). Basically you want something easily digestable with minimal fat.

IMO fish oil would be better than the flax as far as EFAs are concerned.

Banned
    1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight?

Wannabebig Member golfbobbyhill's Avatar
    All -

Here's a little "sample" diet I came up w/ for you to critique based on the info you gave me.

How does this look?

Thanks again!
    bob

Breakfast:
    MyoPlex CarbSense: 290cal, 50g pro, 9g carbs, 6g fat

Morning Snack:
    Protein bar (UTurn, Oneway): 320cal, 30g pro, 28g carbs, 12g fat.

Lunch:
    Subway Turk/ham: 290cal, 20g pro, 46g carb, 5g fat.

PreWorkout:
    Op. Whey w/ 3 packs Smarties: 135cal, 22g pro, 17g carb,2g fat

Dinner/post-workout:
    Something with: ~600cal, 60g pro, 35g carb, 23g fat

Bedtime Snack:
    Op. Whey: 110cal, 22g pro, 2g carb, 2g fat

All this comes up to roughly: 1750cal, 200g pro, 137g carb, 50g fat.

I'm dumping 20-25g fat in post-workout...is that too much? Should I drop that down and drop a bit of oil into my morning MyoPlex?

Why is fat bad post workout ?
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Originally posted by Sinep
    Why is fat bad post workout ?
    Fat slows down digestion. You want the nutrients from the food or shake to get to the muscles and through the body as quickly as possible to replinish them to jump start the rebuilding process and prevent catabolism. Having fat post workout, slows that down.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

In that case , it seems logical to have fat pre-bed time ?
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Yep. I tend to get most of my fat for the day at night with my protein shake before bed.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by golfbobbyhill
    All this comes up to roughly: 1750cal, 200g pro, 137g carb, 50g fat.

I'm dumping 20-25g fat in post-workout...is that too much? Should I drop that down and drop a bit of oil into my morning MyoPlex?
    Looks fine IMO although I would keep a careful eye on your weight because I still think your cals might be too low. I agree in that you should split up some of your fat intake between meal 1 and your post workout meal, and I am assuming that the oil you are referring to contains adequate amounts of EFAs.

You might also consider taking in more carbs with your post workout meal.

Also I would go with more carbs pre-workout. Something along the lines of 25-35g would be better IMO. For you last meal of the day a slower digesting protein would be ideal, maybe cottage cheese or mix the whey with milk.
    Last edited by bradley; 07-25-2003 at 11:45 AM.