Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what's the consensus on stretching before wo

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Originally posted by W8_4_Me
    I am just talking about stretching to loosen up because it's more comfortable to do pretty much ANYTHING when you are all loosened up
    the main thing we're trying to get across is that stretching before a workout is potentially harmfull

stretching during or after a workout is not

LAM is only a few years younger than yourself

when is this need to stretch going to hit him ???

the guy has multiple black belts so I'm pretty sure he's flexible

PowerMan... say what you will, but if you think you are "right up there" with me @ 23, then feel free to stop on by, boy... I'll be HAPPY to show you how much you still need to learn.
    If you think there's that much to show, I'm more than happy. Unfortunately I'd really hate to smash the ego that you've obviously spent more time working on than your body.

And I'm seriously getting tired of the condescension. If you want to state your opinion fine, but I'm not going to have you coming on here and insulting people when you don't more to back it up with than big arms.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Wait... I'm fuzzy on the whole "potenitally harmful" thing. If I had a dollar for everytime i heard something was "potentially harmful", I'd be on a big ol' yacht off Grand Cayman Island right now.

I can't imagine getting down on the bench and being all stiff to start lifting. That just makes no sense to me. During.... after.... I agree with that also, but NOT before? It sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally posted by PowerManDL

If you think there's that much to show, I'm more than happy. Unfortunately I'd really hate to smash the ego that you've obviously spent more time working on than your body.

And I'm seriously getting tired of the condescension. If you want to state your opinion fine, but I'm not going to have you coming on here and insulting people when you don't more to back it up with than big arms.
    Hey... you can dish it out.... you need to be able to take it as well. I saw your new pics... You are doing real well, but there's still stuff you haven't mastered, obviously.

I didn't single YOU out, you singled ME out.

Remember THIS quote?

How about a 23 year old puke that's right up there with you, if not better?
    Now... before that, please show me WHERE you even factored in to this converation.

It is not my personal policy to follow the advice of 15 year olds. So sue me.
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Ok, let me explain it slowly.

Mechanical tissue before the muscle complex is "warmed up" leaves the muscle complex more susceptible to injury.

Lifting is mechanical tension.

Stretching is mechanical tension.

Therefore by simple logic, mechanical tension = lifting = stretching = bad

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Now... before that, please show me WHERE you even factored in to this converation.

It is not my personal policy to follow the advice of 15 year olds. So sue me.
    Look, I don't have any personal beef with anybody here. But I don't tolerate other people's outright insults, so yes I did single you out because of that. I factored in to this conversation because I'd said the same damn thing, and fifteen years old or not, they had the correct information on the issue. There was no cause for the remark.

So lets not turn a potentially good thread into a pissing match.

Thanks for slowing it down for me...

After considering your logic, I think I shall continue to stretch prior to strenuous physical activity.

I do appreciate your taking the time to explain in nice, small words.
    Last edited by W8_4_Me; 07-26-2003 at 05:10 PM.

Originally posted by RuLess
    lmao if theres study's that show its bad why continue to do it, thats ignorant seriously

juss like smoking

:withstupi
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Wannabebig Member
    don't believe everything you read kids

Although I'm 16 not 15, I feel QUITE insulted. Where did you start, big, badass man?

Hell, if you started at 15 then you're a damn hypocrite. If you started later then we all have a jumpstart on you. So slow your roll and show some respect.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

lol i understand u have many years ahead of me, but do u have many years ahead of who's writing it, your going off feel. they're goin off facts. its simple

no arguement.. pz

Behemoth... (there's one of those ironic member names...)

16. Well, that certainly makes YOU an expert, now, doesn't it. If you must know, I started messing with weights at 16, but it wasn't until I was 18 that I got more serious about them. When I decided to join a power lifting club, you can bet that I didn't take my cues from little 15 & 16 year old boys who didn't even know which way was 'up' in a gym.

"Slow my roll..." OOH! You are so cool!

RuLess, I have participated in sports for nearly 35 years. I can't remember a time where I didn't stretch before getting started. Additionally, I can't ever remember any time where I suffered a debilitating stretching injury. That's just stooopid.

"Hello, <Workout Partner>? Yeah, it's W8... yeah... well, I can't lift tonight... uh-huh... yeah, well, I suffered one of those nasty stretching injuries again..."

You've gotta be freakin' kidding me.

3:16
    personally i like to warm up with the exercise i am using rather than stretch to warm up.
    for me this gets the blood flowing in the correct muscle groups.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Under Construction
    I am 35 and as you get older, the muscles need a little more warming up. I do not stretch before I workout, but I do warm up. I usually ride my bicycle to the gym only a couple of miles but it gets the blood flowing. I then do a one or two warmup sets prior to my working sets. This seems to work for me.
    Just one guy's opinion.

Of the driver ilk
    Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics, even if you win, your still retarded.*

*This was not meant to demean or otherwise demoralize the mentally ill and physically ill amoung us. I have the utmost respect for those with those sorts of conditions that have such a will to live.
    "42"

lol

Oh great... ANOTHER quantum physicist. That's really in bad taste, no matter WHAT your little disclaimer said.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    w8_4_me,

Do you actually have ANY kind of reasoning you can present to support your ideias, other than your "I've been training for longer than anyone else here thusI know better" thing?

restless...

Look. Let's understand something. In MY opinion, experience is the best teacher. You can read anything you want to about any subject, but until you make a standard practice of an idea or concept, all you are doing is just reading. You shouldn't believe everything you read.

For every person who writes how something is bad for you, there's AT LEAST some other person telling you great that same thing is.

Result (in reference to Mr. PowerMan's need for logic): Until you try it and personally determine what works and what is bogus, it's better that you not take sides.

But, yes, Mr. restless... the fact that I have done and tried a good many things and have gained a HOST of practical experience (regardless of how much I may or may not have read on a topic) gives me the nod to know when something is true and when something is false. You can use this experience to your advantage if you listen.

If you do any sort of physical sport, i.e., a team sport, a running sport, a martial art, et. al., you will find that the coach or leader will INSIST that you stretch your muscles prior to taking on the activity. An instructor whio DOES NOT do that is setting himself/herself up for a student or team member for an injury and possibliy a big law suit.

Going running? You BETTER stretch first. Why do you suppose the U.S. Army made me stretch AND warm up prior to running 5-10 miles? Duuuuhh...

For the record, I prefer to warm up and not stretch for weightlifting, but for anything else sport-related activity, I'm DEFINITELY going to stretch BEFORE I get started.

You may not want to. So be it. Out of all the years I've spent enjoying physical fitness and sports, 2003 is the VERY FIRST YEAR that I ever heard of such a thing as not stretching. SO with that sort of track record, what do you THINK I will support?

Sorry if it ruffles peoples' feathers, but I am not the sort of person to go through my life reading about a topic. I am the sort of person who goes through life DOING, not reading. I am happy to share what I have learned along the way and if you keep an open mind, you will learn how make the proper choices from the start.

I've played athletics for over 9 years. Not quite up there with some but long enough. At the collegiate level even and we always warmed up prior to doing anything. Warming up included at least an 800m run followed by some dynamic stretching. We never flat out started stretching.

Some light dynamic work might be fine, same as warm up sets IMHO, but never quite stetching.

Even in the martial arts class I take we do at least 3-5 minutes of shadow boxing or light aerobics before stretching. But even the stretches aren't hard static stretches.

My college coach was an All-American triple jumper and Olympic bobsled team member (bronze medalist). He had some of the best training methods. I personally would take his word over just about anybody just from his pure knowledge and experience. We never flat out stretched. Especially in the weight room. It was all power cleans, snatches and jerk presses to warm up everytime. We didn't even stretch afterward.

If you want to be flexible then stretching might be beneficial but I've never really seen the need for it as long as I've been doing things. My own personal experience its never really done much for me. Why spend time doing something boring when I can get the same thing accomplished by doing light warm up sets of something more enjoyable?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I always find it funny how threads as innocent as this one end up being big firefights!

I found it better when I stretched before running long distances. Of course there was a warm up before the stretching. I always felt I could run better with stretched legs.

But, that was a long time ago and it was cardio. I have since had the smarts not to do cardio anymore. I don't stretch before lifting in the weight room for what it is worth.
    5-9 170

Same here.

I never get much from it, barring some of the methods you listed, so I don't bother before hand, and only occasionally during the workout.

There's experience, and then there's educated experience.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    There's experience, and then there's educated experience.
    exactly

the more you know the more you can learn from what you experience

99% of bb myths began from what some uneducated fool *thought* they were experiencing

Fine, then let me remain blissful. The day I listen to 15 year old puke about weight training is the day I cash it all in.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Going running? You BETTER stretch first. Why do you suppose the U.S. Army made me stretch AND warm up prior to running 5-10 miles? Duuuuhh...

I couldn't care less if anyone else wants to stretch or not before a workout. Do what you like. I'll do the same. However, I've done many a 5-10 mile run without stretching and have never received any injury of any kind. That's my "experience." I don't think stretching before running is as urgent as you suggest.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.