The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Slim-fast?

Slim-fast?

I usually have a slim-fast for breakfast for a couple reasons.
    -To tired in the morning to do anything besides pop open a can.
    -Wanna loose weight.

I have been told good and bad things about this.

Any thoughts?

Right now I am trying to loose a lot of weight.

1200-1500 cal a day diet with running, and ECA stack (which contains ephedrine)

I weigh just barely under 200 and I am 6'2. Dont know body fat.

Year and a half ago weighed 240 w/ bodyfat 26%.
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why so few cals?
    thats ~7xbw

Banned
    Post your routine and rest of diet.
    Sometimes i drink a slimfast as just sort of a mid morning pick me up, but I dont know how healthy they are.

Re: Slim-fast?

Originally posted by Toy-Yoda
    I usually have a slim-fast for breakfast for a couple reasons.
    -To tired in the morning to do anything besides pop open a can.
    -Wanna loose weight.

I have been told good and bad things about this.

Any thoughts?

Right now I am trying to loose a lot of weight.

1200-1500 cal a day diet with running, and ECA stack (which contains ephedrine)

I weigh just barely under 200 and I am 6'2. Dont know body fat.

Year and a half ago weighed 240 w/ bodyfat 26%.
    At 240lbs. you need more calories than 1200-1500 per day. You will successfully slow your metabolism down to a crawl, and also run the risk of catabolizing lean body mass if you continue at that current calorie intake.

Do you lift weights? What does the rest of your diet look like?

IMO you should up the cals to at least 2000 and probably more than that, and if you post your current diet then you would get more helpful feedback.

Here is an old thread that talks about Slim-Fast as an MRP, although IMO you should be more concerned about the rest of your diet and not Slim-Fast

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...light=slimfast

the stone cold stunner Ironman8's Avatar
    Well, some people try to stay away from them when cutting (due to the sugar), but it really comes down to calories.
    You kill me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize....

Originally posted by Wu36
    Why so few cals?
    thats ~7xbw
    im new here so i dont know the lingo. whats 7xbw?

I lift about three times a week and try to run everyday or every other day depending on schedule. I work a lot in 90 degree kitchen 5 to 6 times a week. I just recentely, as in a couple days ago made the cut down to 1500 cal.

This is what i usually ate threwout the day.

Morning- Slimfast

Lunch - Not exactly healthy Cambells soup w/ slimfast to drink.

Dinner - Depends on what my dad cooked but its usually a big meal. That includes a slab of meat (chicken, pork, etc), veggies, salad, and something else like Mac and Cheese or home-made mashed potatoes. (This is making me hungry)

Two weeks ago I got back from vacation and just ate what I felt like for a while, and since I worked in a Pizza resteraunt it was mostly pizza. During this time I did not gain any more than 3 lbs. Before that I was eating right, around 2000 cal a day.

Oddly enough, during my vacation I lost 7 lbs and the weird thing was I ate whatever I really wanted, but I did consome a lot of tequilla while I was there.

I don't know much about fitness so forgive me for any stupid mistakes I am making.

Bah you will learn. Keep losing the weight david your doing good after what you told me.

If you're trying to lose weight you can start by consuming 12 calories per puond ob body weight (12xbw), so at 200 lbs it would be 2400 calories per day. After a couple of weeks you can adjust, increase calories if you're losing more than 1-1.5 lbs per week or lower calories a bit if you're losing less than 1-1.5 lbs per week.

Out of those 2400 calories 800-1000 should come from protein (1-1.3g per pound of body weight) and around 720 should come from fat (about 80g) and most of those 720 cals should be from EFAs (esential fatty acids, like olive oil, fish oil, flax seed oil, etc). The rest of the 2400 calories (680-880 calories) come from carbs.
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

what helps to speed metabolism up?

Having a clean diet with enough calories and some physical activity, like lifting weight and doing cardio. Since you are already doing those, most likely all you need is to up your calories so you are not losing weight oo fast
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

slim fast is nothing but expensive sugar water.

What kind of foods do you recommend.

I heard tuna is really good. What if it mix a little low fat miracle whip and put it on wheat bread?

I also have two huge containers of Whey Protein that I got a long time ago. I tried a shake once and I almost puked it tasted so bad.

im new here so i dont know the lingo. whats 7xbw?
    He is saying that you calorie intake is only 7 x bodyweight (200*7=1400)

I lift about three times a week and try to run everyday or every other day depending on schedule. I work a lot in 90 degree kitchen 5 to 6 times a week. I just recentely, as in a couple days ago made the cut down to 1500 cal.
    With your current activity level 1500 cals does not sound like suffecient calories, and IMO you should probably take in around 2200-2500 at least. This would be just an estimate and you would need to increase/decrease cals according to weight gain/loss.

Adjusting daily cals in small increments each week would be the best way to determine your appropriate calorie intake.

This is what i usually ate threwout the day.

Morning- Slimfast
    Try getting some protein, carbs, and a little fat in with this meal. Maybe something like boiled eggs/egg whites along with some oats or whole grain cereal.

Lunch - Not exactly healthy Cambells soup w/ slimfast to drink.
    More protein with this meal, and keep in mind that you need to get ~1g of protein per lb. of bodyweight. A sandwich or something along those lines would be better than soup IMO.

Dinner - Depends on what my dad cooked but its usually a big meal. That includes a slab of meat (chicken, pork, etc), veggies, salad, and something else like Mac and Cheese or home-made mashed potatoes. (This is making me hungry)
    The mac and cheese would not be ideal IMO, but at your current calorie intake you need the calories

You also need to keep in mind that you do need some healthy fats throughout the day. Try having a few nuts as snacks, or incorporating some healthy fats in your diet such as fish oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil, and oily fish (salmon).

I heard tuna is really good. What if it mix a little low fat miracle whip and put it on wheat bread?
    Sounds like a decent meal/snack to me, and as long as you use it sparingly there is nothing wrong with full fat mayo.

[quote]What kind of foods do you recommend.[quote]

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...t=grocery+list

Basically lean cuts of meat, low GI carbs, and healthy fats. The thread above should give you some good ideas as far as food choices go.

The sugar in slimfast is no better than that of a pop, but if u are going to drink one of those "meant for general public nutritional drinks", try the extra protein variety from Boost.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    what helps to speed metabolism up?
    getting a good breakfast

if you insist that you can't do better than a liquid breakfast
    mix it the night before

grind some oats and mix it with fruit, protein powder etc...

*** ditto to dirty about the Boost

You have no idea how much I appretiate this. Thanks a million.