Thread: Getting weaker from doing weighted chins?

Getting weaker from doing weighted chins?

Greetings Everyone!

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I just need some re-assurance from you guys and gals.

I have been doing weighted dips and weighted chins for the past few month. I've been adding weights to my chin every 2 to 3 workouts, and keeping the reps between 3- 6 reps per set. For example, my last weighted chin workout looks like this...

6 reps at +45
    4 reps at +45
    4 reps at +45
    3 reps at +45

However, today I decided to do chins with my body weight only. I was shocked that I couldn't do anywhere close to the number of reps that I was doing before I started doing weighted chins.

Chin is always the first exercise that I'll do on a back day, so it's not like I was weak from doing some other exercise first.

I was doing like 18reps with body weight before I switched to doing weighted exercise. Today, I could only do 12 reps with my body weight.

Could I have gotten stronger doing the weighted chins, but lost the endurance because I've been doing lower reps? Or couldn't simply just have a bad day today?

Any comments are greatly appericate!!

My guess is it's because your body got used to doing low reps...
    Eat Tuna!
    "Ya don't touch my tuna, I don't kill you."- by Tuna Master
    "Part of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up." - by who knows. ME? Eat Tuna!
    My Journal - My FitDay -

Mantis I have the opposite problem I ever work in high reps and my 20RM is very close to my 1RM !!!

In my opinion it's because you ever trained with low reps, strength is very very specific. If you train with high reps you get good at high reps if you train low reps you get good at low reps.

Maybe a good way to train is : 1 set of 20 reps 1 set of 10 reps and one set of 5 reps per exercise.

Plus some people are naturaly good at low reps and some people are good at high reps.

If you want strength (pure strength) continue with very low reps 1-4 reps if you want size try 6-12 and endurance 15-20 and above.
    Last edited by Gavan; 07-28-2003 at 04:31 PM.
    Gain Muscles ? Overload !
    Lose Fat ? Input < Output
    Genetic determines your potential
    Chins : 10x106kg Dips 10x109kg

This is another example of how your body will adapt to what you subject it to. It might be a bit of an extreme example but it's a good case. I don't think you have become weaker I think your body has adapted to your routine.

Banned
    im not gonna do weighted chins until i can do like 30 normal ones

jug: There's no reason to be able to do 30 chins. Why would you ever want/need to do that? Pullups will never be a good endurance exercise, 20+ is too many for building size, and weighted are necessary fo building power. Anyway, it's _extremely_ diffcult to get to 30 so more power to ya... Probably way fewer people in the world can do 30 chins than bench 300.

mantis: The exact same thing happened to me. After training for weighted chins for about 3 months, I noticed that my power had gone up considerable (+135 1RM chin), but I quickly became tired doing 10+ reps of bodyweight. However, and this is the important point, explosive power on those bodyweight chins was huge, and I could throw myself up versus just pulling. This was nice training for hard bouldering (climbing) problems.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    My chins dont go up... at all... ever...
    Ive only been doing BW chins for a few weeks, but my first set is BWx6 and second set is BWx4. Thats it... never goes up! I think I am going to start adding extremely low weight (like belt+2 1/2 plate) just because Im bored of doing x6 x4

edit in other words, be happy you can do as many chins as you can, because its more than me!
    Last edited by JuniorMint6669; 07-28-2003 at 11:45 AM.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Read this article if you want to do a lot of chins: http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm.

My personal experience is that after doing weighted chins for a few months, my strenght had improved but I was doing the same number of bodyweight chins.

(edited to fix the link)
    Last edited by Delphi; 07-28-2003 at 07:42 PM.

to view magnus' link, remove the "." at the end. or better yet, just click here: http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by JuniorMint6669
    My chins dont go up... at all... ever...
    Ive only been doing BW chins for a few weeks, but my first set is BWx6 and second set is BWx4. Thats it... never goes up! I think I am going to start adding extremely low weight (like belt+2 1/2 plate) just because Im bored of doing x6 x4

edit in other words, be happy you can do as many chins as you can, because its more than me!
    do you have access to a chin/dip machine? you can add assistance to them. i usually do about 5 bodyweight chins and then assist the next set with 20Lbs...

decease, RIP
    Is your bodyweight the same now as then?
    big.

ADebar: what i have been doing is dropping to the lat pulldown, and using the same width grip on that after my last set of chins

big makes a good point, if you have gained a lot of weight, your lats may not have increased enough to compensate for the rest of the weight

and im really not buying into this whole "body adjusting to low reps" thing. of course i could be completely wrong, but just because i work my bench in the 6-8 range, it doesnt mean i cant drop the weight a good deal and pound out 20 reps

I can do pullups with more weight than anybody here, and it hasn't impacted my ability to do reps with body weight one bit. I can still get 15-25, depending, but any more than that isn't happening.

I may not have adapted to low reps, but I've certainly adapted to anaerobic metabolism.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Alright powerman, what is your "more weight"? TWO pink dumbells in your pocket? j/k Anyway, PowerMan, you're another case where huge pullup strength does not lead to more reps. If it did, you'd be cranking 40+ easily. If you started training endurance instead of weight, you could get there.

JuniorM: You are correct in your bench analogy; however, for most folks, body weight pullups are still VERY heavy, and so they'd have to go to assisted to get to very high reps.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Originally posted by MixmasterNash
    Alright powerman, what is your "more weight"? TWO pink dumbells in your pocket?
    Easy now, not even coleman could do that!

Give the man a break
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Try two plates for reps.

And no, I really don't care to train for endurance, which was the whole point.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    I can do pullups with more weight than anybody here
    Oh, is that a challenge?!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

3:16
    Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Try two plates for reps.

And no, I really don't care to train for endurance, which was the whole point.
    how many reps?

plus my gut is bigger than your so i have more overall weight to lift
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

I wouldn't go back to unweighted chins. If you really want decrease the weight until you can do more reps.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    Oh, is that a challenge?!
    ooh! I'm in, I'm in!!!

....weighted chins haven't impacted my ability to do unweighted chins. And I can do them with more weight than anyone here. (bodyweight included, because Will is a skinny runt).

But.... what else has changed in the meantime? It's possible that, if you're training in low reps, AND your bodyweight has gone up, AND the majority of your lifting is done in the low rep range, that you have indeed reduced your endurance somewhat. It should come back quickly... but again, there is almost no need to be able to do that many chins, unless it's for military/athletic purposes.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I'll play too. I'll lose in overall poundage, esp. if BW is counted... but what the hell. Anyone else close to doing a bw+bw chin?

More fun stuff:
    How many one handed pullups?
    How long can you lockoff/static hold (90 deg. arm bend) with say, 2 plates?

At least weighted chins decompress my spine after squats.

Originally posted by Belial
    And I can do them with more weight than anyone here. (bodyweight included, because Will is a skinny runt).
    I know where you live punk!!
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by Belial

ooh! I'm in, I'm in!!!

....weighted chins haven't impacted my ability to do unweighted chins. And I can do them with more weight than anyone here.
    pah alex

Even if you could I know I could do more reps of brief case curls.
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Banned
    i think what's happening is that you are training for more explosive sets with the weighted chins.

you are training yourself to give maximum effort for 5 reps or whatever. Your body has gotten used to going all out for a small amount of reps, and as a result, you can do a small number of reps (power) with a large amount of weight.

As a result, you are losing your endurance and the ability to spread out that power over a larger amount of reps. You tire out fast, because your body is used to just putting in a small amount of reps even with big weight.

i think?