The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Allergy Testing

Allergy Testing

I'm wondering what is involved in allergy testing. I'm going in to have it done in 2 weeks time, didn't bother to ask what I need to do. I'm also wondering how accurate it is and how finding what I'm allergic to will help me. It seems every summer for the last few years its getting worse. Up until this year its just been a runny nose june-september. This year my eyes have started reacting. Ie my eyes both turn completely bloodshot.. much like pinkeye.. but without the puss. I now have non-prescription drops and pills everyday. What will getting testing done do in terms of meds?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    are you going to see an MD or a naturopath?

Allergy testing usually involoves a series of very tiny pricks done in a panel or grid form (think grid of nails barely pricking your skin). Each needle administers an allergen. The MD or nurse then notes to which allergen you have a reaction after about 20 minutes (this is for a standard prick test, there are other tests...intradermal, skin patch...but standard prick is the most common). Depending on who's doing this they'll measure the diameter of the reaction you get. They then cand do a couple of things depending on the allergy. They can tell you what you're allergic to and simply prescribe avoiding it, or administer immunotherapy...in which they basically form a cocktail of allergens that you react to at a very small dose and you receive a series of injections that will desensitize your immune system to the allergen. The amount of allergen you get is gradually increased over 2 years. You'll see results after about 6 months.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

This link from The Mayo Clinic has a more indepth explanation and video that shows a skin test being administered.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

Originally posted by ectx
    Allergy testing usually involoves a series of very tiny pricks done in a panel or grid form (think grid of nails barely pricking your skin). Each needle administers an allergen. The MD or nurse then notes to which allergen you have a reaction after about 20 minutes (this is for a standard prick test, there are other tests...intradermal, skin patch...but standard prick is the most common). Depending on who's doing this they'll measure the diameter of the reaction you get. They then cand do a couple of things depending on the allergy. They can tell you what you're allergic to and simply prescribe avoiding it, or administer immunotherapy...in which they basically form a cocktail of allergens that you react to at a very small dose and you receive a series of injections that will desensitize your immune system to the allergen. The amount of allergen you get is gradually increased over 2 years. You'll see results after about 6 months.
    Ditto.

I had this done when I was about 3, and had to take shots till I was about 10 for different allergies. If you have a fear of needles, this will get rid of it for you.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

I never understood allergy testing/treatment. If taking small doses of allergen decreases your sensitivity to it, then why avoid antibiotics (penicillin) that you're allergic to? If you keep taking the antibiotic you run the risk of developing an anaphylactic reaction one day. I've never heard of anybody taking small doses of penicillin to become desensitized to it. If desensitization really worked you'd think everybody would undergo it once they showed an allergic reaction to the drugs. I did take allergy injections when I was a teenager, BTW. Still had allergies like a mofo back then, and I still do now. *sneeze*
    Last edited by Delphi; 07-29-2003 at 03:17 PM.

Delphi, desensitization doesn't work for everything. It depends on the immune response (IgE vs. IgG, etc.). If you are severly allergic to something like penicilin and produce a strong response to it, then desensitization is difficult because even the smallest exposure to the allergen could result in anaphylaxis (sp?). Immunotherapy, from my understanding is best for things like hayfever. Desensitization works, it's been tested and proven. It just doesn't work for everything.
    Last edited by ectx; 07-29-2003 at 08:03 PM.
    ecDoesIt

Anthony

- Sinclair Lewis

I had my blood drawn and analized. I found out i'm midly alergic to milk =\

Doesn't stop me from drinking it though but the results can be very intresting. There are alos several levels of alergicness (uh sp?) So even though i'm slightly alergic to milk it's not going to kill me when I drink it.
    Age 23 | Height 5'11 | Weight 175 lbs. | Body Fat 12% | Bench 250 lbs. | Squat 315 lbs. | Deadlift 385 lbs. | Goal Sex up more girls and get career

I'm seeing a md about it. It took 2 months for me to get an appointment, so it better be an md. I stoped taking reactine, over the counter stuff and now I've got this funky rash going down my arms and body. Just the sides of my body, inner parts of my arms and my legs below the knee. Its itchy as hell. My mom is convinced its measles. I looked up the information on measles.. I have the slightly bloodshot eyes, splotchy itchy rash. But thats it, none of the other symptoms. This summer is so f'ed up.
    Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex - Karl Marx

This is pretty OT but

I don't know what it's from but my skin is really sensetive now. Like if I strach my back, 2 minutes later i'll have these claw marks like some animal went primal on me. Natrually I keep on scratcing and it starts to turn into like a rash where it just itches uncontrollably. I just learned to scratch lightly and it seems to work out but it's really bothersome.
    Age 23 | Height 5'11 | Weight 175 lbs. | Body Fat 12% | Bench 250 lbs. | Squat 315 lbs. | Deadlift 385 lbs. | Goal Sex up more girls and get career

Bah. Rashed up again. It happened after I was outside for 2 hours and only on exposed areas. Mainly my hands and arms. Never on my face. This is freaking me out. Could have been the sun.
    Philosophy is to the real world as masturbation is to sex - Karl Marx