The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Some chiropractors are loons.

So are some MDs.

A goo dchiropractor uses a number of things to make diagnosis, including visual cues, BP, x ray, blood work, etc. The same stuff an MD uses.

A good chiropractor knows their limitiations. So does a good MD.

A good chiropractor understand he can't fix everything, and refers patients to appropriate MDs for second opinions and consultations.

So would a good MD.

I went to an Md first (a number o ftimes) for treatment o fmy back pain. I was given painkillers and muscle relaxers, and told to rest it, and the pain woul dgo away.

It would, in a couple of weeks.

It would return.

When I went to a chiro, he also suggested painkillers. He then took xrays and found what was wrong. He prescribed orthodics and a number of adjustments. As time went on, my reliance on adjustments diminished, and i now go once every 6 weeks because it makes me feel good. He also worked dilligently with me on stretching and rehab... something the MD ignored.

A chiropractor was the first person to legitimize what has been diagnosed as fibromialgia in my wife, and he's taken an active role in trying to treat it, while two MDs suggest she increase the dosage of a drug and take more allieve. This is after one MD laughed at her and told her it was in her head, and that she needed an anti-depressant.

One can make any umber of judgements based on their experience... I suggest that be tempered with just a touch of research. I also think some of the language and tone being used in this thread inappropriate for someone attempting a civil and logical discussion.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    lol im sorry i tried to be calm and talk to you guys in an understanding mature fashion where we all could learn because its obvious none of you want to do the same. Try to get off you high horses as I'm only doing what I was taught to do from this board, think critically. I did it with cell tech, and im going to do it for EVERYTHING. Also all this anecdotal crap is stuff I don't want to hear about, as there's no place for anecdotes in a good debate. Besides your anecdotes don't even make sense.

"i can actually feel exactly which vertebrae it is, that isn't sitting right."

LOL tryska, you felt the bone in your neck that was out of place and didn't treat it quickly? You must be inhumanly tough, because when I have bones out of place in my body I tend to be in incredible amounts of pain. Like if you have a dislocated shoulder most people are told to lay down, and not move and are taken to emergency rooms, I guess though they were wrong and being pansies, because your freaking neck can have bones out of place and you still live your life very well.

"sometimes, by cracking my midback or around my hips it pops everything else back in place. as it stands now, this particular time, i'm most likely gonna have to have a professional perform a cervical adjustment, since it's not goign away."

When you move around bones you damage tissues severely, I don't see why this is hard to understand, you can't just pop everything back into place without causing extreme damage. Second of all you're saying that your chiropractor didn't help you, only relieved pain.

Callahan-
    That wasn't an experiment you gave me a link to, all it does is compare prices, my argument is that chiropractors don't do nething, obviously if you don't do nething it will be easy to keep prices down. I don't accept the growing popularity of chiropractors as evidence of their greatness, because there was a time when everyone believed the universe revolved around the earth and leeches cured everything.

Secondly I never insulted massage therapists in fact I show them respect, I don't know why you guys think that I did, but you guys also think price comparisons is good proof for the effectiveness of chiropractors so maybe there's something I'm missing. BTW there are many studies showing that massage therapists relieve muscle tension, but also their are experiments showing that weed does too, but thats another whole debate in itself. Where are the double blind studies? Where are the studies without a ridiculous amount of variables? Where are they studies that show the change in diet and exercise chiropractors advise isnt' the real cause for these improvements in health

http://www.canoe.ca/ChiroYork/nav_chiro_science.html

"The central tenet of chiropractic medicine is that the adjustment of spinal problems, called subluxations, can improve general health. Unfortunately for chiropractic, chiropractors have not been able to prove subluxations exist or that they have any impact on overall health."

"Though the majority of Canadian chiropractors don't think that scientific studies and controlled trials are a good way to evaluate chiropractic, the profession's schools and associations are quick to use studies to make the case for their treatments."

"In more than 100 years, chiropractic has been unable to demonstrate that its central tenet, that correcting spinal misalignments with manipulation is the key to wellness, is true. In fact, in a century, the profession has been unable to provide convincing evidence that chiropractic manipulation is even effective for uncomplicated, low-back pain, the mainstay of its practitioners."

"In general, CMCC presented reports of studies to York that supported spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) for low-back pain. Though chiropractors spend much of their time on back pain and they perform spinal manipulative therapy, these studies are not endorsements of chiropractic. Many other practitioners, including doctors, physiotherapists and osteopaths deliver SMT."

http://www.acsh.org/publications/pri...102/chiro.html

"Some chiropractors believe that Innate Intelligence is a physiologic entity;"

LMAO, Maybe the faeries that live in my spine are just angry with me for not consuming enough sugar cakes. If I consume more sugar cakes, I'll feel better. Of course sugar cakes are good for my back, its self-evidently valid, Science=owned.

"Chiropractic has thrived¨despite its self-destructiveness and despite vigorous opposition from the medical establishment in the U.S.¨because American physicians as a whole have nearly abandoned a large segment of the patient population"

YES!!!! For people who can't afford real doctors you can go to a chiropractor, lol its like comparing chocolate to shiat.

"Williams evidently imagines chiropractic as locked in an apocalyptic battle with the medical establishment. The June 1994 issue of Consumer Reports quoted him:

Let's suppose the world realizes that subluxations are really the problem. The first thing you notice, you need fewer drugs, less surgery, fewer hospitals. This must really frighten medical doctors, but they're going to have to swallow their cud [sic] on this one. Who would have thought the Berlin Wall would come down? Well, medicine will be recognized as a failed theory, too"

O i see, so medicine is inherently wrong? LMAO, one of the best members of chiropractic field, its too much.

(Thank you for encouraging me to do more research, I forgot how ridiculous chiropractors are. But are they ridiculous? They probably know what they spew is crap, I guess the real ridiculous people are the patients.)

"Such investments in science have created a chiropractic research culture whose dedications and values derive largely from its membership in the scientific community rather than from its membership in the chiropractic profession. That the profession has an autonomous scientific research community that upholds skepticism and disinterested inquiry distinguishes chiropractic from other modes of alternative medicine."

THATS what I'm talking about, thats what the world needs, good cold hard facts. Not crappy self serving screwed up crap experiments to rip off more people.

Callahan-in regards to the chiropractory schooling, well psychologists are required to have lots of schooling too, but I consider it crap. No cold hard experiments can back it up, because Freud just made up a bunch of stuff saw some assinine ridiculous connections and called it a science.

Callahan-
    "Wisdom takes time and effort.
    Ignorance is easy, cheap and fast."

"Chiropractic originally had four basic assumptions: (1) that a force animates and regulates the human body; (2) that this force, which chiropractors call "Innate Intelligence," flows through the body via the nervous system; (3) that vertebral misalignments, or "subluxations," hinder Innate Intelligence; and (4) that such hindrance is the cause of disease."

LMAO, you encourage a field that makes up crap as it goes along, was based on ridiculous ideas like magical intelligent energy, and you call me ignorant? Hahaha, its too much, thank god you guys started to insulting me, if you stayed polite I would have had to too, but its so hard to stay polite when people believe in faeries, leprachauns, magical energy, and chiropractors. I know a good witch doctor callahan. Just send me some hair they'll make a voodoo doll we can use it to get you a brain.

BTW, I'm sorry I have to go, I'd love to keep the evidence pouring down, but I have to do a rain dance to summon the rain god to rain down upon the land to feed the crops. Whenever I do it, it usually rains within a month so I feel that this is the real deal and meterologists can go to hell, SCIENCE? Bah who needs to base claims on facts? LMAO at people who're giving money to greedy scientists out to steal your cash.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

I'm all for chiropractors. Here's why. I've had pain...and they've fixed it. Here's a nice big difference between a "Dr." and a "Chiro"

Say you have back pain. What does a "Dr." do to fix it? They give you a little pain pill or muscle relaxant to ease or cover up the pain. Simple enough, eh?

What does a "Chiro" do? They FIX the actual cause of the pain by realigning what's out of place instead of giving you some pain pill to cover it up. They get to the root of the pain and fix that, they don't just cover it up.

If you've ever had neck pain, back pain or pain in any joint I would put your misconceptions away and see a Chiropractor. Their practice is tested, tried and true. I've gone into my Chiro doubled over with pain so bad it's brought me to tears. But after they adjusted me I've been able to walk out of there on my own virtually pain free.

And as far as how often you go, it all depends. The worse your injury is the longer it will take to fully heal. Isn't that the way it is with all injuries? If you break a bone or tear something that requires surgery you have to go back for therapy. And it usually takes months of rehabilitation. It's no different with going to a Chiro. If you mess up your back it's going to take you a handful of visits before you fully hold your adjustment. And if you're as active as most of us are on this board, then you're constantly doing things to work against the progress made at your Chiro. So it may take longer to heal than it does for others.

You know, I'm willing to bet that most of the people that call Chiropractors quacks, whether on this board or elsewhere, have never even been to one. The fact is, they work. Mose people with pain find relief after they visit one. Not everyone, but most do. And that's no different than any other doctor.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    Sometimes I give oil and gasoline to the gnomes that live in my car engine so they can eat and be strong. When I do that they make my car go. One time I forgot, and the gnomes became angry and broke my car. I had to call a car mechanic, I explained the situation, he charged me $19,000 to fix the problem, or the gnomes would jump out and eat me. I paid him promptly and he got the situation under control. I wonder if the gnomes would like some sugar, to sweeten their food, that would make them work even harder wouldn't it?

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

This study was a double blind, controlled trial comparing mobilisation and manipulation with placebo physiotherapy in 94 patients presenting with non-specific acute low back pain. At one year follow up the groups were identical, but those who received real manipulation recovered more quickly. Lewith and Turner reported similar findings from their retrospective study which suggested that patients will return to work in half the time if those with acute low back pain are manipulated swiftly.[4]
    http://www.studentbmj.com/back_issue...ta/1098ed1.htm

Is all you want a double blind study? You're just going to continue to be an ass regardless.

Its going to be like anything else, there's going to be studies either way and depending on what side of the fence you are on you'll see what you want to see. Just like how ephedrine and pro-hormones are work of the devil and working out is unhealthy. But then there is no use trying to explain something to a person who is so closed minded about the fact. There's only one way of working out and there is only one perfect routine. Oh sure this other has proof but its bull****. If there is a problem, ther is only one way of fixing it. Sure buddy.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Banned
    Originally posted by Tim Nissen
    You know, I'm willing to bet that most of the people that call Chiropractors quacks, whether on this board or elsewhere, have never even been to one. The fact is, they work. Mose people with pain find relief after they visit one. Not everyone, but most do. And that's no different than any other doctor.
    Maybe.

Or maybe they went to a chiropractor who was more about marketing her practice than about helping people. As Paul mentioned, such chiropractors exist... either shysterish or flaky in the extreme, and this turned them off of chiropractic in general.

Some chiropractors are a bit too evangelical about it as a panacea and I think that that is going to far. But that represents one extreme of the profession. The other extreme treats almost exclusively low back pain and specific muscular complaints and is exclusively evidence-based in their approach.

The perception problem exists when people generalize from one experience or a limited scope of experience. This applies not only to chiropractic and health care but to life in general. This is how prejudice and racism is formed, really... generalizing based on limited information, supposition or fear.

nejar: I suggested you are ignorant. I didn't start making up insults about voodoo dolls and suggesting you didn't have a brain. But I'm glad that instead of taking the high road and attempting to bring my arguments up a level, you instead sunk your 'arguments' back down to the level of playground name-calling and ill-constructed sarcasm. I'm glad because it helped me to realize that this is a pointless discussion and your opinion is utterly unimportant to me. Cheers.

Originally posted by Callahan

Maybe.

Or maybe they went to a chiropractor who was more about marketing her practice than about helping people. As Paul mentioned, such chiropractors exist... either shysterish or flaky in the extreme, and this turned them off of chiropractic in general.
    I guess that'd be a better way to say what I was pointing to. There are people that go to Chiro's and don't find relief. Sometimes it's because that perticular Chiro isn't a good one and that turns people off to all Chiro's. But I think people need to remember that there's bad Doctors in every field. I had a dentist once tell me I needed 8 fillings. Needless to say we got a second opinion. When I did, the next dentist told me I only needed 1. I believe his exact words were, "I wouldn't even put those 7 fillings in my own childrens teeth, you're fine, trust me." I later found out from an old employee of the first Dentist that he always recommended doing work that wasn't needed so he could make more money. What a terd.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Originally posted by nejar462

"i can actually feel exactly which vertebrae it is, that isn't sitting right."

LOL tryska, you felt the bone in your neck that was out of place and didn't treat it quickly? You must be inhumanly tough, because when I have bones out of place in my body I tend to be in incredible amounts of pain. Like if you have a dislocated shoulder most people are told to lay down, and not move and are taken to emergency rooms, I guess though they were wrong and being pansies, because your freaking neck can have bones out of place and you still live your life very well.

"sometimes, by cracking my midback or around my hips it pops everything else back in place. as it stands now, this particular time, i'm most likely gonna have to have a professional perform a cervical adjustment, since it's not goign away."

When you move around bones you damage tissues severely, I don't see why this is hard to understand, you can't just pop everything back into place without causing extreme damage. Second of all you're saying that your chiropractor didn't help you, only relieved pain.
    if your spinal column was rigid, then a vertabrae out of place would probably kill you. but it's not. the vertebrae are sandwiched between disks and fluids allowing you to move and bend and twist and walk and carry and all the rest of the actions you take for granted. when someone says the vertebrae is out of place, it means the bone has slipped just slightly and causes pain or discomfort. usually when i have back pain, i can physically feel a vertebrae sort of sticking out, slightly protruding from the normal path of the spine. that's what i see a chiro for.

if you don't like chiro's, don't go....but refrain from calling the rest of idiots who have found relief and benefits from going.
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

word.

raniali jsut gave you my response.

before deciding you know everything about physiology nejar, i suggest you actually take a close look at it.

have a nice day.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

btw - i jsut got back from my new pro-shop. the owner gave me the card for his chiro - who apparently works with the ballet company, and the hawks? maybe (some team - i forgot what he said) - and this dude works on a sliding scale, if you don't ahve insurance.

i'm all voer it - maybe i can get that adjustment i so badly need.

It's like he went way beyond the call of duty to sound like an ass.

I loved the interpretation of "magical force" as well. Truly a large leap only someone "special" could come up with. Considering the entire science is based on the spine, which protects the nervous system, which communicates with bioelectrical signals, I don't really find the theory at all hard to swallow. But I guess rudimentary understanding of human physiology is required prior to such discussions, to avoid sounding "special."
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

i think you're "special" , elp
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

Originally posted by Tryska
    btw - i jsut got back from my new pro-shop. the owner gave me the card for his chiro - who apparently works with the ballet company, and the hawks? maybe (some team - i forgot what he said)
    Maybe the Atlanta Falcons the NFL team?
    What is elite?

Originally posted by raniali
    i think you're "special" , elp
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

it defintely could be the falcons. i got distracted by the guys traps while he was talking.

You have a fetish for traps don't you?
    What is elite?

actually it's calves, but i like traps too.

I know about the calves but I've seen you talking about traps in a couple of threads now. Eh... at any rate, that's a pretty funny excuse for not listening to the man.
    What is elite?

you shoulda seen the size of those traps.

it's kinda like guys and hooters.

Hooters?!!! Where?! Where?!
    What is elite?

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    "I'm glad because it helped me to realize that this is a pointless discussion and your opinion is utterly unimportant to me. Cheers."

As long as the feeling's mutual.

"I loved the interpretation of "magical force" as well. Truly a large leap only someone "special" could come up with. Considering the entire science is based on the spine, which protects the nervous system, which communicates with bioelectrical signals, I don't really find the theory at all hard to swallow. But I guess rudimentary understanding of human physiology is required prior to such discussions, to avoid sounding "special.""

You like horoscopes? They're alright to read I guess but you shouldn't take it to heart. Nostradamus stuff is fun to read too, again the world won't end with all of us but the most righteous cursed to eternal damnation. You really think bioelectric signals are an innate force, with a mind its own? And disruption of this force is the cause of disease? You consider this an accurate description of the human body, of the spine?

The lack of science behind it is startling, EVEN if it is debatable from a scientific point, (I really don't think that it is debatable either mind you) you really shouldn't become patients of such practicioners. BTW when something is highly questionable they usually test it on lab rats.

[B You really think bioelectric signals are an innate force, with a mind its own? And disruption of this force is the cause of disease? You consider this an accurate description of the human body, of the spine?

[/B]
    i would love to hear your interpretation of the spine.

What's even more amusing, is his inability to interpret the quotes he himself posts. There is no mention at all of an "innate force," they use the TERM "innate intelligence" which it just terminology for said force. It is a scientific fact that there is bioelectric energy within the body and this is how pretty much everything communicates and functions, but I guess that would be too much science for him to take in. It's also true that doctors don't know very much about neural response, or chemical/electrical reactions within the brain, and how this affects tissue and limb response, so it's not like one side knows something for sure that the other doesn't. Chiros are basically using a practice that came about through trial and error and quantifiable research that has proven more often than not to work. Maybe thay can't prove that it physiologically has a long term positive affect through the scientific method, but neither can the scientific method disprove this because relatively little is known. But I guess we should just stay ignorant and dismiss it.

What's funny also is the use of things like the universe revolving around the earth belief. I'm guessing that that theory existed long before people could irrevocably prove it was true. Good thing they weren't close-minded and short-sighted enough to dismiss it without a thought as people here seem to make a habit of.

Current FFFA Enforcer

what i find interesting really is that this innate intelligence is what's been known in other cultures as chi, prana, and humours.

i'm having difficulty understanding why this all seems like bunk to him?

i mean....the vertebrae house the spinal cord, the spinal cord attaches to the brain, and runs the entire length of the spinal column, with various major nerves, branching off into minor nerves from it. messages get sent from neuron to neuron via bioelectrical energy, using the sodium/potassium pump - i'm having a tought time figure out why he can't extrapolate fromt he statements made.

wierd.

he's prolly quiet cuz he's off brushing up on his spinal column physiology so he can come up with some other snappy comeback involving dwarves or whatever.
    Last edited by Tryska; 07-31-2003 at 03:06 PM.

Science=owned.

"That the profession has an autonomous scientific research community that upholds skepticism and disinterested inquiry distinguishes chiropractic from other modes of alternative medicine."
    "Science=owned" is right.

Gee, for all of his less than cordial replies I'm going to side with Nejar on some of his his points, though not his attitude.

It's very nice that they do their own research and have all the double-blind studies that they want. However, one of the first signs of a psuedo-science is a refusal to particpate in mainstream scientific structures and particularly the creation of their own scientific community.

Does chiropracty work? Doubtless it does for many people. Does it work because of the explanations offered by DCs? I'm doubtful. Just like many alt. therapies, such as chinese herbology or acupuncture, work, it doesn't mean that the practitioners truly understand what is going on, or, much worse, are willing to perpetrate fraud for profit.

No, chiropractic is not the same as faith healing as the AMA holdouts might like you to believe, but I do believe it relies to some degree on the susceptibility of the public to suggestion and simplification.

Tangentially, I highly recommend Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World : Science As a Candle in the Dark. The following quote broadly applies to all psuedo-science and superstition, and certainly not specifically to alternative medicines of any sort, but I think it has some very valuable insight:

"These are all instances of pseudoscience. They purport to use the methods and findings of science, while in fact they are faithless to its nature - often because they are based on insufficient eveidence or because they ignore clues that point the other way. They ripple with gullibility. With the uninformed cooperation (and often the cynical connivance) of newspapers, magazines, book publishers, radio, television, movie producers, and the like, such ideas are easily and widely available. Far more difficlut to come upon, as I was reminded by my encounter with Mr. "Buckley," are the alternative, more challenging and even more dazzling findings of science."
    (emphasis mine)
    Last edited by MixmasterNash; 07-31-2003 at 04:28 PM.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John