Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grip for dead lift.......

Wannabebig Member

grip for dead lift.......

Okay I have deadlifted every which way there is. Sumo, conventional.....etc. Does the grip matter. What I mean is should you do one hand over one hand under, or both over.

I'm asking this because it feels like it puts strain on different parts of your arm when you use different grips. Does this matter or is it ok.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

one hand over and one under works the best for me.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Yeah, over-under is good. I can pull more with that grip.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Wannabebig Member
    Well I agree with it making it easier to pull up more weight. What I mean is does it build your arms differently. Cause like that than it puts strain on the inside of one arm and the outside of the other. Meaning the one thats under...its gonna put strain on the inside of the forearm and the bicep. And the one thats over it puts strain on the outside of the forearm and the tricep. \
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

While we're on this question of grip just what is the one over one under grip called does anyone know?? Pronated sticks in my brain but I could be completely off with it....anybody really know?

It's called a mixed grip most commonly. Some call it an over/under grip.

This grip is superior and of course is the grip you should use on your heavy lifts. Generally, your dominant hand should be the "under" hand, and your weaker hand should be over. Your arms aren't working on a deadlift, so it should make relatively no difference in muscle development. Your forearms are being worked simply by gripping heavy weight, but there is no bicep or tricep, or even wrist ROM anyway. Think of your arms as cables, if they do anything more than that, well you will be the proud owner of a newly torn bicep.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks El P. I wasn't really sure if it made any difference to your arms or not.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

MIXED GRIP Yeah thanks ElP one of those things that sticks in your brains and drives you nuts.....repeats over and over to not forget "MIXED grip"

I could be wrong, but is there a difference between the amount of tension on the forearm muscles between a simlpe over hand grip and a mixed grip. For some reason I keep thinking an over hand grip would place more tension on the forearms, no?
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Double overhand is better for working grip, but mixed is definately prefered for very high weights. But be careful! As ElP, mentioned, pulling you your arms can really hurt your biceps. Even not pulling can strain them, particularly on the underhanded arm in a mixed grip. I did that 3 weeks ago.

My stronger (right) hand is always over. Just happened that way I guess.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

3:16
    I use mixed grip as i the bar will slip out of my hands if i did over-over grip, way before my back would be worked hard.

on a dyaminc day and low weight warm ups. i use over-over hand grip.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Oh yeah, if you have grip problems:

CHALK

It rules. 20 grams of white powder, and you can lift 100 extra pounds. Yes, I'm talking about chalk. Really.

I really like Bison Designs Competition Chalk. It comes as ultra-fine powder and feels like butter when you dip into it. Much better than the typical block of gym chalk. Get it at climbing retailers.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I use mixed grip, with my strong arm (left) over and my right arm under, it doesn't feel correct any other way. I had alot of problems with my right hand grip though, but a good pair of straps fixed that right up.

Straps didn't fix anything, they just covered up the problem.

I think it only feels uncomfortable at first. Try it a few sets and it will probably feel fine regardless of what grip you use.

I could barely keep the bar level the first time I tried, and then changing hands also took some time.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

The way I look at it, your back is alot stronger than your hands, and you're only cheating your back by only lifting what you can grip. By my 5th or 6th rep, my right hand would start to slip, which ruined my set. With straps, I can get 4-6 more reps and my back is growing fast. I really have no need for a stronger bare-hand grip, so I don't see any point in training for it.

Of the driver ilk
    The lift includes the forearm muscles, if you are not using them, you are not lifting the weight, you are cheating. Dammit I wish my gym allowed chalk, I hate it when my hands get sweaty on a heavy pull. Oh, and straps are rather dangerous, they can absolutely ruin your wrists. My straps (I use to not overtrain grip, and because of the healing tear in my forearm) are cutting into my nerves in my wrists, are chaffing off skin, and are generally ****ing up my wrists. I wish I didn't have to use them, but I must to keep my grip from overtraining (and to let my tear heal faster).
    "42"

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Wikked1
    While we're on this question of grip just what is the one over one under grip called does anyone know?? Pronated sticks in my brain but I could be completely off with it....anybody really know?
    I thought the correct term was Supinated, but we were both wrong obviously, lol.

From another site...
    Supinated grip means palms facing your body. Pronated means palms facing away from your body. And semi-supinated means palms facing each other.
    I started Deadlifts last week an decided to try for my 1RM at the weekend, i could do 242lbs with the mixed grip, but only about 190lbs with the Supinated (palms facing body) grip... so it's definately the best choice, IMO anyhow.
    ''If You Fail To TRY, Then You Try To FAIL.''

From another site... quote:

"Supinated grip means palms facing your body. Pronated means palms facing away from your body. And semi-supinated means palms facing each other. "

That's a really poor way to explain it, since this definition is incorrect 50% of the time. To put it simply, supinated is the grip you use for a biceps curl aka an underhand grip. Pronated is overhand.

If you take the definition of supinated as palms facing the body, then it's obviously incorrect, as the supinated grip starts with the palms facing away from the body, and when curled they come towards the body. In the deadlift at no point does the supinated palm face your body.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Wannabebig Member
    Listen to elpietro about the mixed grip, also I know from experience....I tore my bicep off my arm doing deadlifts, having a bad day, it was even 100 pounds less than my max....one moment of letting your form ease bad things could happen...I myself never had a problem maxing out my back with no wraps

i like mixed grip.

it makes me happy.

i swithc up which hand is which between sets, tho.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Again, chalk plus double overhand is quite excellent, and significantly reduces chances of bicep injuries.

I've pulled all my 1RM this way, so clearly grip isn't my limiting factor. If it is yours, work it! Do static holds and farmers walks until you puke.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by ElPietro

From another site... quote:

"Supinated grip means palms facing your body. Pronated means palms facing away from your body. And semi-supinated means palms facing each other. "

That's a really poor way to explain it, since this definition is incorrect 50% of the time. To put it simply, supinated is the grip you use for a biceps curl aka an underhand grip. Pronated is overhand.

If you take the definition of supinated as palms facing the body, then it's obviously incorrect, as the supinated grip starts with the palms facing away from the body, and when curled they come towards the body. In the deadlift at no point does the supinated palm face your body.
    That thought also crossed my mind, but i jus ignored it coz my brain wasn't in the mood for thinking.

Thanks for that.
    ''If You Fail To TRY, Then You Try To FAIL.''

Wannabebig Member
    I used to use mixed grip while dead lifting but I find that an overhand grip is more comfortable and allows be to lift more as I feel like I can use my legs more comfortable..weird. Anyway as been said do what works for you, should't make a difference in any arm development.
    Live to train
    Train to Live

Sponcered by: The Method Training Systems

i usually did both hand over, but i couldnt handle much weight, nest workout tommrow im going to try theo over-under grip and ill post how it works.

Just so you know, it will feel really weird the first time you try it. When I first tried I was unsteady and the bar was all over the place, but it seems that after a few shoddy reps, you will get the hang of it really quick, and then grip will probably not be an issue for most of your future lifts.

Current FFFA Enforcer