The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: white rice

as an asian person, i kind of have a dilemma, not a big deal, but still...ok, living at home, i got no choice but to eat white rice as part of my dinner. i think every asian preson living at home eats white rice. this is like my only regular consumption of simple carbs.

i can't really be a b*tch and tell my mom that white rice isn't good for me...i've been going along with it and it's not really affecting me or anything. but just the mental aspect of consuming simple carbs is kind of bugging me. i don't really know what to do, but is like anyone in the same situation as i am? is having a meal everyday with simple carbs in it really a big deal?

comments and opinions are appreciated. thanks!
    porkchop 2001 (c)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

White rice doesn't contain simple carbs,but complex.The only bad point is it's high gi(raises a lot your blood sugar levels).If you could swich it to wild rice,or brown rice it would be better.However it's not so harmful.

I wannabebig!
    I don't know what your talking bout, I was brought up on white rice myself like every day at every meal. I'm filipino btw... and simply just cook your own rice. I have a seperate rice cooker set up for my brown rice while the rest of my family consumes white rice. Or just cook it in a pot.

NO EXCUSES!

MACHINE
    I wouldn't worry about eating a serving of white rice with dinner. If you were having large portions for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner, that would be a different story. Just try to make any "non-white rice" carbs during the day from whole grain or wheat sources.

Or just cook your own like the other person said.

a separate rice cooker? my mom would think i was being a b*tch...she already says how i am so picky eating certain things and what not...i make a big deal over pasta if it's not made from whole wheat.

but like i said, it's a mental stumbling block. i don't think it effects me greatly on a pyshical level. it only covers one meal anyways...but i'll look into some alternatives...thanks guys =)
    porkchop 2001 (c)

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    What is the nutrition info on brown rice?

Kaboom.. ??
    Porkchop?? why dont you just tell your mom that you are training with weights and you want some of SPECIAL attention on eating things??

If anyone knows anyone who has gotten fat (I assume that is what you mean) eating white rice please let me know. Asians have traditionally been the leanest (not counting Sumos) and healthiest (cardiovascularly) people in the world. Whoever gave you the ideas that white rice is bad for you is an idiot! White rice lacks some nutrients and fiber that you can find in other forms of rice, but it is still an excellent staple food.

3:16
    Since when have asains been the leanest people? They may be leaner than whites but thats becuase we have more food to eat and not suffering any famines etc that they have in india etc, I assume we are talking about the indain sub contienant over oriental asains.
    Asains are not particulary the healthiest cardiovascular wise as on average they have smaller arties than white people therefore they have to consume less saturates to block a artery. Its just in india they are foten undernourished and die of things like infections over heart and have a much higher infant mortality so die before having the chance of having a heart attack. but when they come over to the Uk there rate of premature death from heart attacks is 3 times higher than whites in the UK. Plus a lot of the older asains are quite fat, I have lived in area high in asains in huddersfield and for a nutriton equation on my exam had to discuss to implication of asains living in the UK, so i have researched up on their lifestyles etc. though there are other reasons for increased conary risk beside the ones i stated above.
    If you are talking about the japenese this is a different story as they eat a lot of low fat foods such as fish.
    The other foods will interact with the white rice and alter the GI of the meal anyway depends what you eat with the meal. If its that important, mix some bran in their it may not taste as nice but depends on what sauce you use to mask it but help lower the GI of the meal as well as give you some fibre and the nutrient that the rice is lacking.

Until recently, when western culture (read fast food etc.) has really had an impact on asian eating habits, cardiovascular disease was virtually unheard of. This implies to me that they had low bodyfat levels. This is, of course, a general statement, but in being so it is relatively accurate. My point was, that rice is low in fat and high in carbs which is a good thing. Most asian cultures consume large quantities of rice and vegetables and very little meat of any kind. That is a very healthy diet. So, his mom probably cooks a healthy diet for him (based on the fact that he has to eat so much rice) to follow and he really shouldn't worry about it. The asians who live near you probably have altered their diets to include a lot more saturated fats. In other words, they have westernized. Like I said, it was a general statement. There are obese people in nearly all cultures, the percentages just vary.

[Edited by chris mason on 02-08-2001 at 06:24 PM]

Originally posted by body

If you are talking about the japenese this is a different story as they eat a lot of low fat foods such as fish.
    actually the japanese diet consists of alot of fatty foods, (mostly good fats, omega 3...) thats another reason why their so skinny their insulin is always counterbalanced with the amount of rice they eat. foods such as pork, beef, eggs, oily fish, deep fried dishes, and animal fat are all contents of a typical japanese meal. yes they eat tofu, tuna and other low fat foods but the core dishes in any asian meal always consist alot of fatty animals. why do i know this, because im japanese and have been raised on this stuff, even visiting japan numerous times ive eaten basically the same things.

btw north americans are so fat because they have the misconception of "FAT MAKES YOU FAT" theory, its just recently that people are starting to discover that fat is controlled by the amount of insulin released into the body, and experimenting with different diets. still on commercials and grochery labels "FAT FREE" this "FAT FREE" that, its pretty stupid.

if youve been to france youll know this but they are extremely thin, and if your are aware the french diet consists of alot of fatty substances, the most abundant being butter, lots of butter.

again if you go to italy there core is pasta, a carb, thats why most italians are rather chubby.

i wish more people would understand of the true roles that fat plays in the body, instead of shy away from it all together.

btw ive been eating rice my whole life, with no problems at all, i just always remeber to get some sort of fat in my meal as well as the rice, such as a tbsp of flax, or some beef or oily fish. dont sweat it too much, i can see where your coming from though my pares are the same way, it took a good year to get them off my back.
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

Fat does make you fat in the sense that it contains over twice as many calories as carbs and protein. So, eating a diet high in fats will make you fat because you will consume too many total calories. Japanese diets are NOT high in fat, they contain fat, but not in any large percentage. I challenge you to show me something that illustrates a typical traditional Japanese diet having more than 25% of its kcals from fats. North Americans are fat because they consume too many calories and a poor mixture of fats, proteins, and carbs in thier diet. North Americans eat boatloads of fats in their daily diet as they consume large quantities of meats and fried foods. You can lose weight on a high fat diet, so in that sense fats don't make you fat, but most people don't take the time to consume their fats with low carbs etc. Plus, high fat diets tend to be unhealthy because they usually contain a high percentage of saturated fats.

3:16
    indains tend to have lower body weight than whites but white but have a higher fat %(lower body densities). this is again is a general statement and primarly due to different anantomy. while black tend to have slighlty higher body densities than whites. This is general statement and there are many difference between races internally as well. this is NOT aimed into going into a racist thread. But is relavent to this thread after chris claim about asains having lower incidence of hear attacks so bieng leaner. eskimo diets are high in fat and they have very high body fat levels relative to other races but have a low incidence of CHD. this is not primarly due to genteics as when they take on a western diet the incidence of chd becomes roughly the same as westerns. so just becuase indains manage not to get fat on rice does not mean its a good food. as most of them die from infections etc and do not live long enough to get CHD-a genearl statement howeer rice is hard to get fat on as i find it bland so i eat it really slowly but if you put sauces on etc then that a different story. i may be writing the this as chris gives good discusion, but i do agree that rice is a good food for you to eat as its high in carbs though the less polished the better.
    Some asians foods are quite high in fat such as ghee(clarrified butter) and some sauce were about 50% in fat some higher.
    But rice and veg are not exactly high in protein for helping to gain the mass so he is going to have to add different meat etc to get bigger. this is when thinner arties become a problem aless he use sauces such as chicken, turkey, oliy fish (though if remeber correctly one of the rilgons prohibits oily fish?) etc.
    kato - i apoligise about japennese diet as i have not really looked at them. but i do know japenese diets may have a low incidence of heart attacks but the levels of strokes is far higher due to all the salt in the diets. this is very general statement from looking at epedimological data.

If what you claim about east Indian people is true, it is due to a lack of calories and nutrients in their diet, nothing else. They are generally lacking in nutrition due to poverty and lack of food in general, and a lack of variety in nutritious foods. Eskimo people have a diet high in fat yes, but the reason they have a low incidence of cardiovascular disease is because of the types of fat they consume. They do not consume a great deal of saturated fats like westerners do. When they westernize their diet, then they have similar rates of cardiovascular disease because they then eat "bad" saturated fats.

you have both brought up some good points, and mase you are correct about the percentage of fat in a japanese diet whits rice is about 50-60% of the whole meal, with the rest being fats and minimal protein. just wanted to clarify that although the japanese diet consist of majority of white rice, i would not say that the diet is low in fat.

Wannabebig Member
    body u must be a britisher. For americans, asian = oriental asian. Those asians are slim not because of their diet, its genetics. They can eat fast food or drive thru food and stay lean. Does not mean they are healthy.

~~~ Gary you are new around here so I am giving you a chance.

These sort of comments are clearly not welcome here.

This is a BODYBUILDING forum, so stick to the topic and refrane from making comments that I had to edit from this post.. ~~~

[Edited by Hulk on 02-11-2001 at 11:17 AM]

Kaboom.. ??
    Hey gary dat is so not true... I'm an asian too and They do get fat.... It's just same as americans, some are hard gainer, and some are easy gainer.... And about being weak.. well i dont agree to that.. Just because they are skinny, that doesn't mean they're weak and etc.. Strength does not only involves muscle mass, they also involves the bone structure stuff too.. (that's what i heard.. not sure about it... teach me if i'm wrong MissAbs)
    Oh and about the smaller handle, Women does not look for the bigger one, they say that it's good enough if it works.. and well asian might have smaller stuff, but it's not true that they last shorter.. it's all different individually.. BTW the stuff of asian gets soo hard you can't even squeeze it..
    dat's why asian women look for whites??.... HAHAHAH dat's soo funny.. you sound like racist... i know no offence was intended but that kind of your ''opinion'' shouldn't be posted..

PLEASE DELETE THIS REPLY POST AND ONE by GARY, MOD... this racism like thread shouldn't be allowed..

SORRY LADIES ABOUT THIS POST.....

[Edited by Dabomber on 02-11-2001 at 09:45 AM]

Originally posted by gary
    body u must be a britisher. For americans, asian = oriental asian. Those asians are slim not because of their diet, its genetics. They can eat fast food or drive thru food and stay lean.

~~~ Sorry Kato... Just editing the some of gary's comments here ~~~

another ignorant close minded kid, nothing you said in your post is true nor considerable, i must conclude with telling you that YOUR AN IDIOT!

just for the record, i am 5'10 190lbs @ 7-8% bf and ive always been really strong, infact stronger then most of my bigger "white" friends.

btw, YOUR AN IDIOT!

[Edited by Hulk on 02-11-2001 at 11:19 AM]

Kaboom.. ??
    YEAH! GO KATO!! GO ASIAN!!

Actually I'm American and I consider Asians to include East Indians, so maybe that is just the opinion of ignorant Americans Gary. All of the other crap you said is quite rude and offensive. I think you owe some people an apology.

Kashi is better than rice.

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
    See, chris mason - this is what happenes when you get off topic, how come you guys can never stick to the topic, in this case it was "white rice"!

porkchop - regarding your question white rice is A.O.K, but brown rice is a lot healthier and IMO a lot tastier!

Also, from reading your posts it sounds (to me at least) like you are pussy whipped by your own mother!! Damn, bro - you have to stand up for yourself! How old are you anyways? I'm 19 and I make all of my meals, including dinner!
    Just do like the other guy says and get yourself a rice cooker! Those things kick ass!

Budiak - the brown rice I eat has 170 calories and 40 grams of complex carbs per serving. I always eat2 servings becuase 1 serving is only 1/4 cup, and its basically like eating nothing (1/4 uncooked that is)! Hope this helps.

MACHINE
    P-whipped by your mother? That's just gross.

Wannabebig Member
    - Never intended to make a racist remark, if it turned up to be a racist remark, I apologize.

Going back to original discussion, white rice is usually refined, processed and polished to look good. Not as bad as white bread but nothing compared to brown rice, whole wheat bread or oatmeal.

[Edited by Paul Stagg on 02-12-2001 at 03:24 PM]

Kaboom.. ??
    apology rejected.. I mean accepted.. lol

No worries Gary, i was just making up some point =)..

it's cool now..