The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Forearm workouts

Hey guys,

Well, I seem to have a problem defining my forearms and making them bigger. I have successfully bulked the aspects of my body that I had targetted... except for my forearms.

I work them out regularly, but it doesn't seem very effective. I feel it when I workout and I know they are getting worked out. But, after a while I noticed they really haven't made any physical difference.

Anyone know good forearm workouts?
    :|Alec

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I overtrain my forearms by most people standards on this site. Some people just rely on shrugs and deadlifts or hammer curls. I do wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. I was doing 5 sets of each twice a week and progressing. When I cut back on sets ands days I stopped. Though maybe I hit a plateau.

I usually only do 2 sets of wrist curls, seems to be working fine...
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Wrist curls worked for me a few years ago, they work great. I think I would do 2-3 sets of 10, can't remember. I usually would do them last after all other lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    10? 10 is a bit low for forearms. Just like claves, youve gotta beat the hell out of them to get a response. Do it til your arm cramps.

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, man... that's exactly what I do.

I do about 25 reps of wrist curls x5 sets, then reverse. I feel it a LOT when I do it. I KNOW I'm working them out. But, it's been a while now and I'm seeing very small results.

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    Deadlifts, SLDLs, Shrugs, Farmer Walks, carrying plates around the gym....

works very well

Wannabebig Member
    What are Farmer Walks? Or is "carrying plates around the gym" just an apositive describing Farmer Walks?

i usually do 2 sets forearm rockers and 2 set reverse curls. i love the burn afterwards.

Right on Junior.

Farmers walk: pick up two very heavy dumbells and walk. Aim for weight that will make you fail between 30'-50'. So called because it's like picking up a wheelbarrow.

The other almighty grip exercise:
    Static holds. Pick up a BB from a rack with say, your 1RM deadlift weight, and hold it as long as possible. Do this over rack pins.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Roger That...

Thanks a lot for your input guys.

Originally posted by GooberPHX420
    10? 10 is a bit low for forearms. Just like claves, youve gotta beat the hell out of them to get a response. Do it til your arm cramps.
    I agree. You use your forearms so much every day that you really have to push them.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Oh dear! Somebody's been reading FLEX again.

On a serious note, that is dead wrong. That is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to overtraining. Forearms do NOT need to be overstimulated to grow. They are composed of exactly the same tissue that the rest of your body is made from. Even if you use your forearms for everyday activities, the level of stimulation is too low to cause an adaptive response. That's why your forearms aren't huge. Everyday activities (if your job isn't that physical) are not going to do anything for the forearms that make them special when it comes to weight training.

The same applies to calves. People say you train your calves because you are walking around on them all day. Well if that were true (training calves) why doesn't everyone have well-developed calves (or forearms)? Because that is garbage. Heavy and hard is the way to develop muscle whether chest, back, calves or forearms. Doing extremely high reps is counter-productive. I could do wrist curls all day with a five-pound dumbell, but that wouldn't do a thing for forearm development. Nor is it training heavy or hard. They may develop more endurance, but strength and size are not likely to be realized from this type of training.tuttut

Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic

...The same applies to calves. People say you train your calves because you are walking around on them all day. Well if that were true (training calves) why doesn't everyone have well-developed calves (or forearms)...
    What about adaptation? I think these two muscle groups don't get huge from constant use because they're used to being used day in and day out. It's the same principle with working out any muscle group. You change it up every once in a while because your body adapts to the workouts and they no longer become effective.

Of course you can overtrain any muscle. But I don't think giving your calves or forearms a little extra attention or extra day in the gym is overtraining. I've seen a number of pros that give extra attention to these groups. Not all, but some. I think it comes down to what works for your body. Extra training is working for mine.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

heavy shrugs and deads will make you look like popeye
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

What about spinach?

BIG BOI
    deadlifts and dont use straps for anything.

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by ExtremeAnabolic

On a serious note, that is dead wrong. That is exactly the kind of thinking that leads to overtraining. Forearms do NOT need to be overstimulated to grow. They are composed of exactly the same tissue that the rest of your body is made from. Even if you use your forearms for everyday activities, the level of stimulation is too low to cause an adaptive response. That's why your forearms aren't huge. Everyday activities (if your job isn't that physical) are not going to do anything for the forearms that make them special when it comes to weight training.

The same applies to calves. People say you train your calves because you are walking around on them all day. Well if that were true (training calves) why doesn't everyone have well-developed calves (or forearms)? Because that is garbage. Heavy and hard is the way to develop muscle whether chest, back, calves or forearms. Doing extremely high reps is counter-productive. I could do wrist curls all day with a five-pound dumbell, but that wouldn't do a thing for forearm development. Nor is it training heavy or hard. They may develop more endurance, but strength and size are not likely to be realized from this type of training.tuttut
    I see your point, but I still disagree. I feel that it is wrong to stop at a set number of reps while working the forearms and calves. I do a nice heavy weight until I can do anymore. This isnt exactly like that "5 lb dumbbell" comment that you made.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster

I see your point, but I still disagree. I feel that it is wrong to stop at a set number of reps while working the forearms and calves. I do a nice heavy weight until I can do anymore. This isnt exactly like that "5 lb dumbbell" comment that you made.
    If you can lift a weight more than 10 reps, that means you are NOT lifting heavy. A heavy weight usually means you can handle it for 6-8 reps. That is the usual definition of "heavy" in the training world. That is why I made the "5 lb remark." Not to be unkind but merely making a point.

Here is my workout if it helps.

Week 1:

False Reverse Grip Curls 2x10
    Standing BB Wrist Curls 2x10

Week 2:

DB Wrist Curls 2x10
    Supination Pronation 2x10

You can do them straight sets or super set them togther. Sup Pro is when you grab one end of a stick and put weight on the other end, then twist from side to side.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

Wannabebig Member
    thanks a lot for your input guys.