The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Started WBB1 and Loved it. Need Guidance Though.

Okay guys, I started WBB Routine 1 today and have some questions. Now first I want to say that the deadlifts had me sweating like a pig. They felt very strange since I have never done them before but I felt many of my muscles working hard to complete each rep. Once I was done with the workout I kind of felt like throwing up. I am not sure if it was the weird pre-workout shake I made or the deadlifts though. The bad part about the deads is that my workout partner did not have much faith in them and I had to force him to try them. He is not as fanatical about them as I am. Although I thought, the routine seemed a little short; once I had to put it in action I realized how hard it was. I am super impressed.

Now for my questions. When you guys say how much you deadlift and bench press, do your totals include the weight of the bar? I started my deadlight warm up with 135 pounds (including the bar which I think weighs 45 LBS.). When I finished my two actual sets, I did them with 185 pounds (Including the bar which I assume weighs 45LBS.). Is that a good start? My friend who happens to be 6í1 could not handle the weight so that helped my ego. However, since he is not as passionate about this as I am, I cannot use him as a guide. Was the weight I started with cool for a beginner?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes, you include the bar.

Yes, your weights are cool. Keep adding to them.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Yes we do include the weight of the bar in our totals. 185 is a good start if it only let you do the 6-8 reps you're suppose to do. It is also a good start for someone who has never done them.
    My Journal
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil,...Cuz I'm the baddest motherf***er in the valley!
    "The wait in the dressing room before a boxing match --that last hour -- would be enough to strip a man that never boxed before of whatever Pride, Desire, and Heart he THOUGHT he had" -John Scully
    "It takes no effort to be ordinary. Ordinary is not even a challenge. You can do nothing and be ordinary."- Bernard Hopkins

:withstupi
    Here we go again!

"I've seen yer mug. Eeeeeeesh gotta feed ya with teh slingshot!"....Mik in reference to clvmike19

heading to 195
    very good.. and expect to make big gains.. (hopefully!). i went from 135 to 260 in a month or so.

Thanks guys. The last time I did deadlifts, I went up to 230. My back was hurting like a mutha. I wish my workout partners would try them, or at least educate themselves so they could tell me if I am doing them right. Also, this last time I decided that I would need to use a belt. My back hurt so much when I was taking of the plates.

Well, thanks again for the encouragement. I still cannot even do one chin up, but then again I would be lifting 215 pounds.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 08-02-2003 at 01:22 AM.

Originally posted by snow
    i went from 135 to 260 in a month or so.
    takes out a 2, and adds a 1.
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

I did 235 today with excellent form. However, I also realized how important straps and chalk are. I started to loose my hold after the fifth one. I knew I could do two more, but my dam hand would not hold on.

heading to 195
    Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea

takes out a 2, and adds a 1.
    LOL, nah.. no typo.

My first day I started with 135, and now two months down I'm at 275.

Originally posted by snow

LOL, nah.. no typo.

My first day I started with 135, and now two months down I'm at 275.
    are we talking about the same thing? I was thinking bodyweight, I guess you are thinking _________?
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

heading to 195
    Yes, we are. I was talking about deadlifts.