The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Not Sleepy

Not Sleepy

For the last year-and-a-bit I've not been able to get really sleepy. You know, that feeling where you can hardly keep your eyes open and you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow? I don't get that feeling. Oh, I'm tired and fatigued all right... I just don't feel sleepy. I lie in bed, awaiting sleep for about a half an hour every night, then I sleep 6 hours or so and then I wake up, not sleepy any longer. But I'm tired all right. My eyes feel gritty and are bloodshot, especially as the day wears on, and my head is foggy and distant... What's up with this??? I'm not depressed, and I know this because this shrink told me I'm not. Any other insights? Much thanks,

Don

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I hear ya man, I've had that trouble before. Not sure what to suggest, I only get it once every so often

OK, in addition I've got this thing where if I have something mildly-important to do the next day I'll sleep terribly, like hardly at all and I'll wake up with a pounding heart. Am I too high-strung or something? What can I do for this?

Banned
    you may want to look into 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

this will help promote your body to produce more serotonin

it'll help you chill out AND help you sleep

I'm not a doctor though; so please do your own research and check with your own doc especially if you're already on any MAO inhibitors, antidepressants or other drugs because there may be interactions

but for myself? 5-HTP works quite well.

5-HTP huh? Sounds good, I'll try anything... where does one obtain such a substance?

Banned
    most decent health food/supp stores would carry it

definitely chat with the naturopath/pharmacist about it and why you're interested in it; they may have some good advice for you

Sweet, thanks for the advice... I checked out some research on it. They suggest taking 100-300 mg before bedtime to treat insomnia. Does this sound right to you? What kind of dosage are you taking?

PS- nice arms buddy.

Wannabebig New Member
    Melatonin, benadryl, warm milk, no excercise within 3 hrs of bedtime (not counting sex) etc,. you have many choices available to you.
    Jones, Kayak Jones

Wannabebig Member

can't sleep?

Ever had your thryoid checked? An overactive thyroid can produce consistent bouts of insomnia.

Gonadius Maximus
    Your shrink may have told you you are not depressed, but from what you have described (restlessness & anxiety) I believe a antidepressant would fix you right up, see your family physician.

The term depression covers a broad range of symptoms.

try Melatonin 2.5mg or 3mg that should fix ya up.

Wannabebig Member
    Just a couple of ideas: ask your doctor for a trial subscription of Sonata. Nortryptaline may also help you. If you're really worried ask for a sleep study. You may have some sort of narcolepsy.

skinny white boy
    Try some ambien...for a week or so. just to get your sleep cycle in rythm...it will knock you out in 20 mins.

Re: Not Sleepy

Originally posted by Don Birnam
    For the last year-and-a-bit I've not been able to get really sleepy. You know, that feeling where you can hardly keep your eyes open and you fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow? I don't get that feeling. Oh, I'm tired and fatigued all right... I just don't feel sleepy. I lie in bed, awaiting sleep for about a half an hour every night, then I sleep 6 hours or so and then I wake up, not sleepy any longer. But I'm tired all right. My eyes feel gritty and are bloodshot, especially as the day wears on, and my head is foggy and distant... What's up with this??? I'm not depressed, and I know this because this shrink told me I'm not. Any other insights? Much thanks,

Don
    when you find out let me know. I have to force myself to go to sleep every night.

Well I've been using Ambien off-and-on for a few weeks... it's all that it promises to be, by which I mean it knocks you out, but it doesn't fix the problem of frequent wake-ups. I just got some 5-HTP in the mail and I'm going to give it a shot. Although something else comes to mind- I was reading that the reason 5-HTP gives you sleep benefits is because it is a precursor to serotonin, which is a precursor to melatonin. So would I be better off just supplementing with melatonin?

Well as a last resort I recommend a couple of chapters of Microsoft Windows 2000 MSCE training guide (I'm sorry yeah that's a joke BUT) honestly try a little reading it may help and what do you have to lose? Reading a good book for 30 minutes or so helps me unwind and I get better sleep....Oh just NOT Kama Sutra

I have to force myself to go to sleep every night.

Same here bro, it takes me an hour or two to fall asleep every night then I end up sleeping 9-13 hours straight.