Thread: Energy Foods for fat loss?

Wannabebig New Member

Energy Foods for fat loss?

Hey,
    I am in the process of loosing weight, I have been trying to combine healthy eating with regular weight exercising and cardio workouts, the problem is at the moment I seem to have no energy when I get to the Gym.

My fitness level has increased greatly but my energy reserve is nil. I know the types of carbs. to eat for slow energy release but I am a bit concerned that my body might call on these carbs for energy and not touch my rather large FAT reserve!?

Can anyone give me some tips on what I should be eating before working out to give some energy (at the moment a bannana is all I eat before a workout )

After my workout I eat a fairly high protein meal - if that helps?

Hope some one can help

Thanks
    Azz

Why don't you post your current meal along with the times you are eating them. Also make a note as to where your workout fits into your eating schedule. This would probably allow people to give you better advice.

EDIT: Also include your weight and ~bf%.
    Last edited by bradley; 08-01-2003 at 11:07 AM.

Wannabebig New Member
    My typical day is as follows:
    (I weigh 17St (238lb) over 25% BF.

Morning : Large bowl ceral with 30ml Skimmed milk
    Mid-morning: Fruit - Bananna, apple
    Lunch - 140g Tuna , 2 slice brown bread, tomato, cucmber, etc
    Afternoon- Fruit (as above)
    Dinner - Large lean chicken breast, 2-3 medium potatos, plenty of veg (carrots, leeks, brocilli, etc. (not all of them!))

Thats about it - I know it is probobly way too little dailty calories but I can't find any good information on this subject - "weight loss and muscle building?"

Any advice is greatly appreiciated.

Thanks
    Azz

you have a large bowl of cereal with 30ml of milk?? 30 or 300??

Hmm your a pretty big guy compared to me. Maybe cut the carbs completely and increase the protein? Like kill the banana, the milk, the cereal, the bread, and the potatoes, and just eat meat products, vegetables and take vitamins. Wouldn't that force the body to use the fat instead of the carbs? Workout on an empty stomach and first thing in the morning also. Also a b12 complex(liquid) and lots of water before a workout seems to give me energy, dunno if its psychological or not. Just some suggestions, not sure if it will work for you, your alot bigger than me and your metabolism is prolly different. Goodluck.

Originally posted by azzeretti
    (I weigh 17St (238lb) over 25% BF.

Morning : Large bowl ceral with 30ml Skimmed milk
    Mid-morning: Fruit - Bananna, apple
    Lunch - 140g Tuna , 2 slice brown bread, tomato, cucmber, etc
    Afternoon- Fruit (as above)
    Dinner - Large lean chicken breast, 2-3 medium potatos, plenty of veg (carrots, leeks, brocilli, etc. (not all of them!))
    For your morning meal add in some protein and fat of some sort, and something like a couple of whole eggs/egg whites would work well.

You need to try and take in ~1g of protein per lb. of bw over the course of the day, and you also need some fat in your diet (essential fatty acids). Good sources of fat would include oily fish, fish oil supplement, flaxseed oil, nuts, olive oil, natural peanut butter, etc. Shoot for ~25% of your daily cals from fat.

Your mid-morning snack is probably not doing much as far as keeping you full between meals, so you might think about dropping one of the pieces of fruit and adding in a handful of nuts, or you could go with some natural peanut butter on a couple of pieces of whole wheat bread.

Lunch looks fine, although this would be a good time to include some sort of EFAs. Maybe throw in some fish oil or flaxseed oil.

I am assuming you are referring to the small red potatoes for dinner?? Anyway your dinner looks fine, but just try and keep the potatoes under moderation as the calories can add up mighty quickly.

Some other good carbs sources would include things like oats, beans, sweet potatoes, or brown rice.

Thats about it - I know it is probobly way too little dailty calories but I can't find any good information on this subject - "weight loss and muscle building?"
    It is hard to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but it is quite possible especially since you are at a higher bf%. Try and create a small calorie deficit each week through diet, activity or a combination of the two. Make sure that you are getting adequate protein and EFAs in your diet, and shoot to lose ~1-2lbs. per week. Adjust your daily cals up or down in small increments until you are losing the desired amount of weight each week.

I agree that your daily cals look a little low so you might want to start by increasing them a little and see what kind of results you get. If you keep cals too low you will end up slowing down your metabolism, which is not ideal. Hope this helps and feel free to post question, as there are many helpful people that I am sure will be happy to help.

Any advice is greatly appreiciated.
    Last edited by bradley; 08-02-2003 at 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by Dedicated
    Maybe cut the carbs completely and increase the protein? Like kill the banana, the milk, the cereal, the bread, and the potatoes, and just eat meat products, vegetables and take vitamins. Wouldn't that force the body to use the fat instead of the carbs?
    Total calorie balance at the end of the day will be the determining factor as to whether you lose weight or not. Also if you were to cut carbs completely you would pretty much lose any chance of increasing LBM while losing bf because the body would be in a catabolic state due to the lack of carbs.

Workout on an empty stomach and first thing in the morning also.
    This would be too catabolic, and the risk of muscle loss would outweigh any possible fat loss benefits. Proper pre/post workout nutrition is important whether you trying to lose or gain weight. It is rather easy to lose weight, but holding onto LBM while losing bf is a different story

pasta always seems to give me some energy, try drinkin a protein shake w/ skim milk about an hour or so before u lift its slow deigesting so it will alst threwout your workouy good luck