Thread: Adding Calf Routine

Adding Calf Routine

I have a bench with a bar and weights, no dumbells. I do legs every other day and I usually do light squats 3 sets of 10 at 85lbs then jog for 30 minutes. I want to add just one calf exercise to my routine to do after the squats but before the run. I'm thinking the strength increase over time might help with the strain on my legs from running and increase my calf size. I've "never" worked my calves before so hopefully they will blow up if I don't overkill heh. What exercise should I do, I only want to do one cause I don't want to overkill. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Dedicated; 08-02-2003 at 03:06 PM.

Do a real leg routine, which includes heavy squats, then add a calf routine.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

:withstupi

Originally posted by HORNEDFROGS07
    Do a real leg routine, which includes heavy squats, then add a calf routine.
    Ok I will increase the weight good idea, I just can't increase it that much cause I don't have a squat rack. What calf routine should I add afterwards?

you can do some seated calf raises. sit on the bench, rest your feet on something to keep them off the floor, rest the bar on your knees and do some calf raises
    Edgar V.

So you don't wanna get big, do you?

----------------------------------------

"If your arm measurement is currently 13 inches, you are worrying about the wrong things. Quit comparing to others, quit worrying about little details, get your ass in the gym, work as hard as you can, then go eat something. Repeat until huge." - Paul Stagg

"There is no miracle "look good" diet/pill other than determination and commitment" - geoffgarcia

"Freaking lift to get bigger, or stronger, or better at your damn sport, and quit worrying about weather or not your arm is 16 inches or 16.2 inches." - Paul Stagg

"If you want to look like Brad Pitt go run a marathon or something." - Severed Ties

Interesting I've never tryed that, thank you very much!! I especially like the idea that I don't have to hold all the weight the entire time with my hands.

Wannabebig Member
    Standing calf raises too. put the bar on your back like your going to squatt and get the balls of your feet on a 2 by 4 or something. Calfs are very easy to train as far as versatillity is concerned. Get on the edge of a stair and individually train each leg with raises. Just make sure your stretching ALL the way down then contracting hard at the top, the very top, hold the contraction for two to three seconds and repeat. If you can do 20 reall reps like this your doing great. remember each full re should take about 5+ seconds from start to finish if your doing it properly, And unless you have unusually gifted calf genetics I wouldn't worry about them blowing up too fast. Good luck
    Live to train
    Train to Live

Sponcered by: The Method Training Systems