Thread: Can't get weight into position for incline DB press

Can't get weight into position for incline DB press

I'm doing incline dumbell press as part of wbb#1. I'm up to 70lb bumbells but they're so heavy that I can barely get them into position for the excercise. Any tips?

Banned
    1. pick up DBs
    2. sit down on the end of the bench, resting Dbs on your knees
    3. one at a time, 'kick' your knee up and bring that weight up to your shoulder
    4. lean back, carefully
    press away

I also use my knees to kick up the DB's and when I bring them up I try to keep them a little above my shoulders for the first rep. That's probably the one disadvantage of DB's over BB.

Originally posted by Callahan
    1. pick up DBs
    2. sit down on the end of the bench, resting Dbs on your knees
    3. one at a time, 'kick' your knee up and bring that weight up to your shoulder
    4. lean back, carefully
    press away
    Nothing more to say.
    Vincere aut mori

"The best inspiration is not to outdo others, but to outdo ourselves."

"From the inside looking out, you can't explain it; from the outside looking in, you can't understand it."

Here is what I do. I think I have had the incline up to the 85s and the military press up to the 75s before without coming close to having any trouble doing so. I'd say my arm strength is pretty well balanced with my chest and shoulders also.

1. Place the DBs on the floor on each side of the bench.
    2. Sit Down
    3. Pick up the left weight with both hands and place on the left thigh. (assuming right handedness)
    4. Hammer Curl the other DB on to your right thigh while letting the left one rest on the thigh (I support it with my left hand).
    5. Hammer curl the weights from the knees to the chest.
    5-9 170

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    How the hell can you hammer curl that much weight? I prefer Callahan technique...

Never had any problems and I'm currently shoulder pressing the 70s.

Wannabebig Member
    I too dont see hammer-curling 90 lbs, which is where Im at with my incline routine.

I always have my buddies with me, so when we go past the 70s, we just hold em up for whoever is on the bench. Quick and easy.

you can sort of power clean the weights into position, then get on the bench and do it... or just kick them up like everyone else said

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by unshift
    you can sort of power clean the weights into position, then get on the bench and do it... or just kick them up like everyone else said
    Ha, never thought about that. Thats kind of a way of doing it.

The only problem is that when sitting you may not be well balanced and your ass will be falling down pretty quick, or dropping the DBs and probably hitting someone.

The way Cal said works. I used the 100s that way. But one part I don't think works and maybe he just didn't say it, is that you are sitting vertical, and then you sorta kick one and then the second right away, while you lean back into your bench position quick, which helps get under them. Even if you miss you can bring it into your chest, and then lean forward, and stand up and reset.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I kick them both up at the same time, but then again, they're only 60's...

why can't you just ask a spot to help you get them up. sometimes when I db bench I can't get up the db's but I can press them, and that spot helping you get it up saves you some energy too.
    Life isn't like Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

I agree with John. If you're having trouble just ask somebody to give you a hand getting them up. I've never had a person decline offering a spot. We all need it sometime. And it's by far the safest way to get it done.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    kicking them up can aggravate the shoulders

be carefull and try to get as much lift with the legs as possible

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

:withstupi

Also be careful with your back, when I lean back holding the weight sometimes it kinda pinches.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Or you can try these.

Does the RIAA own that company?
    5-9 170

Wannabebig Member
    deffinitly gtab a spotter. Also if your having trouble reaching failure with a weight that is more comfortable for you to get into pressing position for you target rep range and no spotter is available, you might want to try a different way or increasing you intensity so that you reach failure with a lighter weight. ie pre-exhaust or decrease your rest time, lower your cadence ect ect. I'm not saying that you should change your whole work out if hte rountine your practicing is predicated on certain aspects ie 2-3 minute rest periods, 4-8 reps of the heaviest weight you can handle as many bulking routines advise. I'm just saying that you can bulk and use say the 50's at half the rest period and 1/3 the cadence, this is better than trying to hoist the 75 off your knees, missing the catch and tearing your teres or something.
    Live to train
    Train to Live

Sponcered by: The Method Training Systems