Thread: Simple post workout

Wannabebig Member

Simple post workout

Simple post workout drink session....

How much approximately is 50 grams of dextrose? 2 tablespoon? i bought a 500g bottle, and it doesnt look like it will last long, maybe ten times only? did i buy the right one

I dont have maltodextrin, so my drink would be 3 scoops of chocolate whey, making 39g protein, 50g dextrose.

Some typical mixes i see people having 50g dex, 50g malt, 40g whey. does that make it somewhere around 640 calories? sounds a big hefty for cutting.

i posted teh same exact thing when i first got my dextrose...about a heaping tablespoon...i put only around 40, because it is too sweet for my taste....

stuff probably only costs around 2$ for 500grams, so it is ok....
    "Don't take life too serious, you'll never get out alive."-Van Wilder

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    For my postworkout drink, I used about 5g of creatine (a rounded teaspoon) and I add about 40g of dextrose (applying the math from the creatine, 8 rounded teaspoons). Then I mix it with juice that have high natural occuring sugars such as cranberry juice or grape juice. (Freakin' sweet as hell). Did you buy it in a bottle or a jar? If you did, maybe you should buy it in bulk, I paid like 2 bucks for 1kg of dextrose. Go to a Lifestyle store or Health store; where they sell those organic crap and etc. They should be selling dextrose in bulk.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

Re: Simple post workout

Originally posted by r6phantom
    How much approximately is 50 grams of dextrose? 2 tablespoon? i bought a 500g bottle, and it doesnt look like it will last long, maybe ten times only? did i buy the right one
    Here is the conversion that I use and it is pretty accurate as far as I know. You will have to do some conversions to adjust the amount to 50g.

60g= 6.25 tablespoons = 6 tablespoons + .75 teaspoons = .39 cups

I dont have maltodextrin, so my drink would be 3 scoops of chocolate whey, making 39g protein, 50g dextrose.
    Sounds fine , but you probably do not need that much protein post workout.

Have you considered using a pre workout shake that contains a small amount of carbs (25-35g) and protein (10-15g)? Then you could have post workout shake that contains ~25g of protein and ~50g carbs.

Some typical mixes i see people having 50g dex, 50g malt, 40g whey. does that make it somewhere around 640 calories? sounds a big hefty for cutting.
    I agree that is a large shake (560 calories actually ) and it would depend on the size of the individual in question, as well as the duration of training.

If you were to split that up into a pre/post workout shake it would be better served.
    Last edited by bradley; 07-31-2003 at 01:58 PM.

Re: Simple post workout

Originally posted by r6phantom
    Simple post workout drink session....

How much approximately is 50 grams of dextrose?
    A little more than 3 tablespoons

Or about a protein scoop's worth.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-31-2003 at 02:33 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Re: Re: Simple post workout

Originally posted by Blood&Iron

A little more than 3 tablespoons

Or a protein scoop filled up about halfway.

Holto measured out the conversion I stated above and came to the conclusion that it was accurate.

Although I could be wrong.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...light=dextrose

Re: Re: Re: Simple post workout

Originally posted by bradley

Holto measured out the conversion I stated above and came to the conclusion that it was accurate.

Although I could be wrong.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...light=dextrose
    Dunno. All I know is that the above amount, when measured on my kitchen scale, comes out to just around 50g. My scale could well be off.

Also, so far as I recall, 1tbsp of sugar weighs about 14g or so (at least I think this is the figure given in cook books, etc)

EDIT: I should have also specified 'heaping' tablespoon. Also, I dunno why in the hell I said half a protein scoop. I meant a full one; I've edited the previous post. Obviously, I have no idea what the f*ck I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 07-31-2003 at 02:34 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Wannabebig Member
    er i have a question. Whats the difference between dextrose and maltodextrin, do i need to be taking both ?????
    I'm the kind of guy who likes to eat cereal in the morning while watching tv in my undershorts.
    -Roger Clemens

Originally posted by Fenway
    er i have a question. Whats the difference between dextrose and maltodextrin, do i need to be taking both ?????
    Dextrose is a monosaccharide composed of one glucose molecule, and maltodextrin is a polysaccharide made up of 3-8 glucose molecules "hooked" together.

If you are taking more than 50g of dextrose post workout you would probably want to go with a 50/50 blend of dextrose/malto.