The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Muscle Loss During Cardio

I am brand new to the board so hello. I just got married and my wife made a comment to me that got me a little motivated. I just turned thirty and she asked me what happened to the jacked guy she met five years ago. Needless to say the corporate world has sapped my motivation, but now I'm back.

Question: I am doing cardio in the morning, but am worried about muscle loss. I want to maintain as much muscle as possible, while dropping from 16%bf to around 10-9%. Should I knock down some protein before cardio or directly after? Should I be doing cardio on an empty stomach after a night of sleep?

Also what do you guys consume post workout (lifting)?

Thanks.
    12 week goal. 220lbs, 10%bf.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

>Should I knock down some protein before cardio or directly after?

I do afterwards, a can of tuna and a protein drink, about 52 grams of protein.

>Should I be doing cardio on an empty stomach after a night of sleep?

Yes I think so, that's what I do. I usually drink some water and take vitamins before I do anything in the morning, but no food. There is something about doing it on an empty stomach in the morning that forces the body to burn fat, something about glycogen being low in the morning or something. Not sure, but it's working for me. Also by doing it in the morning your metabolism will be higher for the rest of the day. My metabolism is through the roof currently.

>Also what do you guys consume post workout (lifting)?

I consume a can of tuna and a protein drink. This is a grey area for me though, I'm not sure if thats the best route. Maybe someone else can offer better advice on this.

Goodluck.

Wannabebig Member

Re: Muscle Loss During Cardio

Originally posted by CyberIron
    Should I knock down some protein before cardio or directly after? Should I be doing cardio on an empty stomach after a night of sleep?

Also what do you guys consume post workout (lifting)?
    Don't work out or do cardio on a completely empty stomache. In the morning your body is starving for proteins and carbs that it needs to get your blood flowing, making you less sluggage. I suggest eating oatmeal and egg whites maybe 25 minutes before a jog in the morning.

Basically you are into the safe-cut routine. Maintain a good amount of calories per day, along with a sufficient amount of protein. Carbs are necessary for bodily and brain function, but you cannot go overboard. Try to keep carbs mainly in your early-day meals. I usually finish up my day with a lot of protein. I don't like excess carbs in my body at the end of the day to store as fat.

I suggest buying a couple tubs of designer whey protein or similar protein products. Have a few shakes of that each day as a snack to keep your protein intake high. This protein is necessary to keepyour muscles. Be sure to do weight training workouts. Though cardio is a great way to lose weight, similarly weight training raises your heart rate and helps you burn calories fast. You can really feel it after doing an intense weight lifting workout and having sweat dripping from your face-- it's awesome !

Your target weight loss should be pretty slow and steady. If you lose more than about 2 pounds per week you are probably taking some muscle with that. Wake up on Monday morning and weigh yourself. A week from that day your main target will be to lose 1.5 - 2 lbs that week while feeling better about yourself muscular wise.

If you have time, I recommend weight lifting in the morning before work and after a good breakfast. After work, have dinner, then go for a brisk jog around the block.

In not too long you'll see that spark you saw in your wife's eyes the moment you met her.
    :|Alec

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by Dedicated
    There is something about doing it on an empty stomach in the morning that forces the body to burn fat, something about glycogen being low in the morning or something.
    The low levels of glycogen, mixed with no proteins or energy to produce more could yield results that you may not like.

It will vary person to person, but I have only had bad results trying it for a few weeks.
    :|Alec

Muscle loss will be minimized by exercising moderation in your caloric deficit, so make sure you don't over-drastically change your diet and starve yourself, also keep lifting for muscle maintenance obviously.