The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar

My current routine(Please advise)

How does it look???

Sunday: Chest/Tricep/Abs

chest

3x8 DB Flat Bench Press

2x8 incline DB Bench Press

2x8 Lever Pec Deck
    Fly(http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...PecDeckFly.html)

3x8 lever chest dips

3x8 Cable Standing Fly

triceps

3x8-10 Cable Pushdowns

3x8-10 Lever Tricep Extensions

abs

3x40 Medicine Ball Crunches

Monday: Rest

Sometimes play some bball or run 20 minutes on eliptical.

Tuesday: Bicep/Ab

bicep

2x8 DB Curls

2x8 Cable Curls

3x8 Preacher Curls

abs

3 sets of 15 Hanging Leg Lifts

Wendsday: Rest

Sometimes Bball or 20 Minutes on Eliptical

Thursday: Legs

legs

3X8 squats, pyramid weight

3X8 hamstring curl

3X8 straight-leg deadlift

3X8 seated calf raise

3x8 lever hip abductions

Friday: Back/Shoulder/Ab

shoulder

3x8 DB Shoulder Press

3x8 Dumbell Front Raise

3x8 Lever Lateral Raise

2x20 DB Shrugs

back

3x8 Lever Seated Row

3x8 Lever Close Grip Pulldown

2x8 Chin-Ups

abs

3x20 Weighted Lever Seated Crunches(Gripless)

Saturday: Rest

Somestimes pick up BBall and/or

20 minutes Eliptical

-peace-
    Last edited by Mic Soloist; 08-05-2003 at 04:54 AM.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hey Mic Soloist, i would comment on your routine but im a newbie at this lifting thing, so i'll leave it to the experts :P there are some things i'd change in there tho.. but they will tell you about that :P I got a question about your music.. do you do any freestyle battles? i've listened to the 3 songs you got on the mp3 site, they are really nicely worded with great imagery n symbolsm and an aswesome message, i personally don't like your delivery tho, sounds like your rapping as a job, not for the fun of it.. if you know what i mean.. would you beable to give me the lyrics of the Locked in Time song, there are some parts of it i don't understand what your saying and i think im missing the msg of the song at points.. so can ya hook me up? thanx. Great work with it tho man.

The Bottom Line
    Honestly I think it's ok. Not great though. Why don't you make it a 2 on, 1 off routine (which means train on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) instead?

You do not need 13 sets for your Chest, and ironically the volume for it is much higher compared to your leg workout. Also I will try pairing biceps with something else instead of letting them have their own day (unles they are really weak and need extra attention). A more preferable 4-day split (for me) will be

Monday- Back, Traps, Rear Delts
    Tuesday- Chest, Triceps, Abs
    Wednesday- Off
    Thursday- Legs
    Friday- Shoulders, Biceps, Abs

A few other things I might change in your routine are...

1) Less tricep work (if you're sticking with your routine). After training your chest (which you should try reducing to about 7-8 working sets), throw in 3-4 sets of strict skull crushers, and maybe 1 set of pressdown and you are set.

2) For your bicep training, try switching one of the curl viariation to hammer curls.

3) As far as legs goes, you properbly need 3 sets of leg press to nail the quads more.

4) If I'm pairing Back with Delts, I'll train the former first since they are bigger muscles. Oh, and I'll replace the front raises to rear delt raises right after training my Back. Try adding Barbell Rows to your routine regularly (alternate with seated rows)

5) Deadlift!

6) Oh and maybe some static holds too.
    Change is good.

why do you have a totally separate day for biceps? where are your deadlifts? why are you doing abs 3 times a week? how can you possibly do back day directly after leg day? that means you're not squatting hard enough (or deep enough).

also if it were me, i'd get rid of every single machine exercise you're doing (hamstring curl, peck deck, etc)

and that split is very wierd. why not do chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders, legs if you want to do a 4 day split?

I tryed doing Back/Bicep a few times and it wasn't working for me because after curling I was usually to worn out to give a max effort to the back exercises. Especially chin-ups and pulldowns.

I do back directly after legs because even though my legs are sore, I can still complete my upper body training. My legs are always sore after leg day.... I like to work out on Friday because bball or cardio is out of the question usually due to soreness.

I'm doing abs three times a week but it is three different exercises so I thought it would be fine. Should I lighten up??

I was taking a break from deadlifts but I am going to start doing them again this week.

Thanks for the advice so far though.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Originally posted by defcon
    Hey Mic Soloist, i would comment on your routine but im a newbie at this lifting thing, so i'll leave it to the experts :P there are some things i'd change in there tho.. but they will tell you about that :P I got a question about your music.. do you do any freestyle battles? i've listened to the 3 songs you got on the mp3 site, they are really nicely worded with great imagery n symbolsm and an aswesome message, i personally don't like your delivery tho, sounds like your rapping as a job, not for the fun of it.. if you know what i mean.. would you beable to give me the lyrics of the Locked in Time song, there are some parts of it i don't understand what your saying and i think im missing the msg of the song at points.. so can ya hook me up? thanx. Great work with it tho man.

First of all, thanks for the intrest and checking out the webpage. Secondly your not the first to compliment my lyrics and say I need to work on delivery. Thankfully all of that stuff on the MP3 sites is from last summer and I have been forcusing on improving my flow since that time. I have some new stuff that will be uploaded soon. My entire album "Reflectionz" is available on soulseek if you'd like to pick it up. Just holla at me.

Thanks again for the support.
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    I tryed doing Back/Bicep a few times and it wasn't working for me because after curling I was usually to worn out to give a max effort to the back exercises. Especially chin-ups and pulldowns.

That is why you do your back workout first. You have to learn to prioritize the larger muscle groups. Your biceps will grow just from doing chins. I do arms once a month and mine still grow.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

and its not that just your legs should be sore, but your lower back should be sore from squatting and deadlifting (regular and SLDL) as well.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    add deadlifts, and barbell rows for back, the only way to get a truly massive back is with these two exercises and pull ups

cut down volume on chest and stop doing so much pec deck, cable flyes and machine dips, add a barbell movement regular dips and one fly movement

biceps are way to small of a muscle group to give there own day, i dont care if they are a weak spot, it takes no more than 6 to 9 really hard sets with biceps to get them growing, pair them with back

also never work shoulders, or any small muslce group before a big one, if you pair shoulders with back always work your back before shoulders

for legs drop hip abduction and add leg press, much much better exercisefor over all leg development.

for each machine you have in your routine, i can think of about 3 or 4 good free weigth movements that will yield way way beter results.

stop being a woman, dont make me take out my magnifying glass and search for your testicels, get in there lift like a man eat like a man and watch yourself grow massively
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Originally posted by BigCorey75

stop being a woman, dont make me take out my magnifying glass and search for your testicels, get in there lift like a man eat like a man and watch yourself grow massively
    LMAO!! :withstupi

Well said right there.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

:withstupi

Originally posted by BigCorey75
    add deadlifts, and barbell rows for back, the only way to get a truly massive back is with these two exercises and pull ups

also never work shoulders, or any small muslce group before a big one, if you pair shoulders with back always work your back before shoulders

for legs drop hip abduction and add leg press, much much better exercisefor over all leg development.

for each machine you have in your routine, i can think of about 3 or 4 good free weigth movements that will yield way way beter results.

Good advice

I added dead lifts back in today and it was much better.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

PR's

Deads 515 @ 214

My Journal:

Good advice so far......

I peeped your song "wanna box". I would say that the lyrics are definitely tight but the delivery needs some more emotion. That is all, just get a little more hype. **** was still tight tho....

If you got time check some of my material at http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/rustymetalmusic.htm
    Do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.