The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

new to training for gaining muscle mass

hello,

I have just bought some equipment and need to know a routine and ammount of sets/reps soley for gainning muscle mass.

height: 5' 11"
    weight:

ok I have the following:

dumbbells that I can add weight to.
    a bench that inclines.
    a pull down bar
    a pull up bar
    leg curl
    leg extend

any help would be appreciated thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Get a squat cage or squat stands.

If you wanna gain muscle mass put most of your focus on legs and lower back. Exercises like deadlifts and squats. Although if you're looking just to get in shape, you probably have all the equipment you'll need.

There are some routines on this website, along with countless other articles over the internet. (DaveDraper's site, Hardgainer, and Cyberpump are also good). Really, it depends on your specific goals-- if you want to get big for example, McCallum's "Keys To Progress" is one of my favorites. Dr. Ken Leistner too articles are good.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    mkay you have the room to do a few things

since your just starting off, i believe the golden number is 3x10 or 3 sets of 10 reps on each exercise and 4 to 5 exercises per session.

you have all of the neccessarily equipment to work your upperbody fine. bench press, incline bench, flyes and what ever you can do with the barbell you can do with dumbells.

the lat pulldown will help work the back and when you put the barbell on the floor you can do some extra stuff.

deadlifts are a great exercise for the legs and lower back to really help you get big, also barbell rows will be great for the lats and thickness

stiff leg deadlifts work the hams very well, if your bench inclines that means your support bars raise up. see if you can raise them to a height where you can do some squats and since your by yourself keep your weight moderate and reps high to ensure good development, the leg extension and leg curls are self explantory

this is just some of the stuff you can do...

go to www.exrx.net to find descriptions of some of the exercises im talking about, nd maybe some extra ones also
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I am a believer of 6-8 reps, but nothing wrong with 10. As a rough guideline add weight roughly when you can complete 2 extra reps, two sessions in a row.
    "The highest reward for man's toil is not what he gets for it, but what he becomes by it." -John Ruskin 1819-1900

"He who fights monsters should see to it that in the process, he does not
    become a monster. And when you look into the abyss, the abyss also looks into
    you." - Nietzche

Eat 5-6 small balanced meals a day, high in protein. I would lift heavy with a rep range between 6-10 for the upper body and 8-12 for the lower body. The ideal rep for upper body is 8 and 10 for the lower, IMO. Try to add extra weight every couple of weeks. You do not have to add weight every week but you do want to add weight as soon as you can handle more with the right amount of reps. Sometimes you may struggle with "X" amount of weight for 2,3 maybe 4 workouts then break out of it and add weight every workout for the next 2-3 times. The body is funny. Choose base building exercises like bench, squats, deads, overhead press, dips, rows, chins, curls ect. for now. Don't worry about fine tuning with a lot of isolation work. Lift heavy and very intense like you are fighting for your life so to speak. IMO do no more than 3 sets for any particular exercise, 1-2 sets being optimal. Also there would be no need for lets say on chest day 3 sets incline bench, 3 sets decline bench, 3 sets flat benc, 3 sets dips, 3 sets flys ect.... this is way to much. Do lets say 1 hard as hell flat bench, 1 for incline, a set of dips and 1 set of flys then a few other exercise like pushdowns. Next workout swap out the incline for a decline. The point I'm trying to make is bust your ass with lots of intensity in a good rep range and not worry about lots of sets and lots of exercises. Eat well and follow this to build a good base. Also one last thing put at least 1 day of rest between workout days and use a split similar to this: leg day, chest/tricep day, back/bicep day. Lift hard, eat smart and get your rest days in... you will grow. Just my .02.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah 6-8 isgood but for someone just starting off 10 is the bench mark, gives them light enough weigth to learn and perfect form yet, gives them enough weight to get a decent workout
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"