Thread: Do I need to bulk?

Wannabebig Member

Do I need to bulk?

Here's my current endomorphic build:

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 260 (approx)

I'm packing on quite a bit of extra fat that I really want to get rid of, but I want to gain muscle mass. I have a naturally big build, so I have a lot to work with.

What exactly should I do?

I desperately want to drop this fat, but at the same time, I wanna get BIG! Is this going to be a 2-phase process, or can I kill 2 birds with one stone?
    Last edited by JohnnyBlade; 08-05-2003 at 07:13 PM.

I would say if you think you can be disiplined with youre eating for a long time then cut and do a clean bulk. If you have a hard time w/ diet try to keep it in check while doing a couple of bulks then cut the fat. Becasue if you have a hard time keeping a strict diet and cut you may just gain it back when you start to bulk. Just my $.02
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

If you're 260ish with a high body fat percentage than the only direction you want to go right now is down. If you combine a healthy diet with weight training you're going to shed the fat and start to show off the muscle underneath.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

6'2" 260 isnt too bad mang. Post some pics up.
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

Wannabebig Member
    Most of the 260 is body mass...with a decent sized belly! That's where 99% of my fat is...a slight bit is on/around my face/neck. I'll try and get some pics in the near future.

Tim:
    The approach you recommended is the way I was thinking of going. Near the end of my weightlifting at school, I started to slim down a bit, and the muscle was starting to come to the forefront. I think my main priority is to shed the fat, so I'm going to go heavy on the cardio, strict on the eating, and keep the weightlifting going strong.
    Last edited by JohnnyBlade; 08-05-2003 at 09:21 PM.

I think you would see better results if you first cut down your bf%, and then concentrated on increasing LBM. If you are at a higher bf% you have to keep in mind that you will add some bf when bulking, which would mean you would have to diet for an extended period of time to get back to a lower bf%. Dieting for an extended period of time increases the chances that you will lose LBM and also is not very fun.

You should be able to lose weight fairly easy if you are starting from a higher bf%. Just create a small calorie deficit through diet, training, or a combination of the two. Also make sure you are getting enough protein and EFAs in your diet.

Another thing to keep in mind is the higher your bf% the easier it will be for you to add bf.

Another vote for cut first.

The discipline of cutting will make you look and feel better and the dietary discipline will come in handy when bulking.
    If the only thing you are holding is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Wannabebig Member
    So, is the WBB1 Routine a good ruitine for cutting?

Do I just follow that routine while maintaining a good bf reducing diet?

imo the WBB1 routine would be superb for cutting, too many people follow routines that include high sets/reps when cutting and lose inevitable lbm.

From my current cutting experience ( just entered week 15) keeping the weights heavy and reps low is the best way to hold the mass and i would wager that i have kept 99% of my lbm from the start of the cut.

I wouldnt be surprised if you actually gained lbm as as you are quite new to the game, + lbm is a real possilbility.

Good luck fella and stay focused! consistency is the key
    The only limits are the one's you place on yourself...