The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Christian BBer

I don't mind spotting you but,................

don't make me lift the weight for you. I always get people wanting me to spot them that put too much weight on the bar. They say they can get 6 reps, but after the third one I'm getting a quick set of upright rows in because they can't lift it anymore. Lower the weight and quit trying to impress everybody. Also, one other thing. If you're spotting someone make them do the work. Most spotters I've had start helping way too early and cheat me out of a set. Oh well, enough ranting. Enjoy your day.
    "Some people dream of success while others wake up and work at it."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you should have a huge back then huh
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

thats cool im glad you dont mind spotting me, i was getting the impression you were getting annoyed when i asked.
    heavy metal music is destroying my brain

Under Construction
    It amazes me the guys in the gym that need a spot after about the first rep. There are a couple of guys in my gym that do that, most of the time they cannot get the first rep by themselves. I understand spotting for safety reasons or for a max, but for working sets? Lift the weight yourself, leave your ego at the door and if you need help on that last rep OK, but not every rep.
    Just one guy's opinion.

I've only had this happen once. The guy asked for a spot and I knew I was going to have to help get him get it off his chest. I helped him unrack it and then let go. He got to the bottom and when it didn't want to come back up I started helping him. That was probably the longest rep of that guys life. He only did one rep and he never asked me for a spot after that.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Christian BBer
    Originally posted by johnny123
    thats cool im glad you dont mind spotting me, i was getting the impression you were getting annoyed when i asked.
    Oh come on now. I could never get annoyed by you.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    He got to the bottom and when it didn't want to come back up I started helping him.
    That's sort of what happened the other day, but the guy would bounce it off of his chest. Good thing too, because that way i didn't have to lean over as much and t-bag him.
    Last edited by ChiZel_MunKee; 08-08-2003 at 12:22 PM.
    "Some people dream of success while others wake up and work at it."

I just hate having to yell, I got it when someone tries to touch my bar while spotting me
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Originally posted by Goin_Big
    I just hate having to yell, I got it when someone tries to touch my bar while spotting me
    i usually spit on them then they quit trying to help
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

Wannabebig New Member
    perfect post dude ... a couple weeks ago I was benching and this young bonehead that wants to be big walked up an started to touch the bar like I needed a spot , I had my head phones on with some slipknot in it so I didn't realize I yelled way too loud " don't f*ckin touch it ". Boy was that a quiet gym for a minute .
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

If I end up lifting most of the weight for them I usually tel them:
    "Thanks for the lat workout, pussie"
    Okay I don't call them a puss but I should.

The only time it's acceptible is if they're maxing out or lifting really heavy.
    "The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." -Steve Prefontaine

Motivate a fatty here.

That doesn't really bother me that much. What does bother me is how people start lifting some of the weight when I can get it on my own. For example, I'll load 225 on for bench (which would be high reps for my workout) and people will sometimes be touching the bar on the first rep. All I really want is for someone to be there to grab the bar in case I get pinned.

Of course, maybe spotters expect that now days based on what has been posted in this thread.
    5-9 170

yeah ryan i think sometimes people feel threatned when you double there weight for a set the want to grab it to show others that you need help when you may not

ie on my 70 lb db curls i dont need any help untill my right arm gives out on about rep 4 (i know this is low reps but my reps keep dropping with weight) some times people will touch the db on my first rep and in my left hand?? like just cause i got them to spot me they have to touch the damn weight on every rep
    Blocka Blocka

I am AMINAL

I normally tell people how to spot me that way there's no difficulty. "Don't touch the bar until it's stuck on my chest, or coming back down again." -- most of them listen.

And I hate it when people want the other way. Had someone do 3 plate bench the other day, had me and one of his friends on each side. Don't know how much I was lifting, but I sure did keep it moving for him.
    LaLa

I had this small guys ask me to spot him on dumbbell presses. I was so surprised when I saw him pick up 2x100 since he looked somewhat weak. However, when he did his first rep and I ended lifting 40 percent of the weight I realized what a fool he was. I ended up working my arms that day and it was my back day.

On another note, something funny happened yesterday. This guy was working on tricep push downs with a rope and went to get some water. This other guy just jumped on the machine without trying to see if someone was using it and ignoring the fact that I was standing there so I could be next. All cocky he removes the pin from 60 and sets it to 160. When he tries to push down, it looked like if he ran into a wall. He could not get it to budge the slightest bit. With his momentum, the ropes almost flew out of his hands. So without hesitation he brings the weight down to 140 and again is stumped. Again, without batting an eye he switches the weight to 120 and still could not do it. After switching the weight to 80 and seeing he could not do it he finally preceded to leave and realize he interrupted the first personís sets. The first guy then restarts his sets. I asked if I could jump in and did my 50ís. The other fool just kept looking back every so often at the machine that defeated him. I wanted to bust out laughing.
    Last edited by harryhoudini66; 08-09-2003 at 01:07 PM.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    I've only had this happen once. The guy asked for a spot and I knew I was going to have to help get him get it off his chest. I helped him unrack it and then let go. He got to the bottom and when it didn't want to come back up I started helping him. That was probably the longest rep of that guys life. He only did one rep and he never asked me for a spot after that.
    Dude LMAO thats fing clasic. I bet he went home and bitched about how he got a crapy spotter too! lol
    Old Journal

" I'd give up a pinky or a toe or something I don't need those"
    -PwrMajt:

"Remember, as long as you don't kick them in the head or use a weapon, it's only a misdemeanor." -JustinASU

I nominate this thread for the Tim Nissen Award! -El P

some good post in this thread. me and you homefield have the same strategy. there is no way I put more than 3 fingers under the bar when I spot someone on the bench press. when I see the guy is just trying to show off by putting more weights, he really gets to face the reality. when he sees that I'm not putting more fingers and that each reps is getting more painful they usually rack it. I consider myself one of the best spotter there is, but that might be because I am me . I hate when I tell my spotter each step how I want it:
    -wait until I'm struggling and the weight is not moving , then touch it just to keep the tempo that I had before.
    but even with that clear statement they will have their hands right from the beginning
    "Damn, I'm looking good" -Duke Nukem
    "I look cool dude" -Pig From the Sky

Never Satisfied.
    In the 4 years I've been lifting, here are the different classes of spotters that I have come across:

1) Mr. Spot Way Too Soon: When you first start to maybe show signs that it is getting harder, and maybe the reps won't seem as easy, but you could still probably do another 3 reps yourself... this guy will put his hands on the bar and start helping.

2) Mr. Why Wait?: Will start touching the bar the second you get it off the rack, and will keep touching it until you finish the set. Even once they realize that you didn't need their help until the last rep, they will continue to touch the bar anyway.

3) Mr. Motivation: Will stand directly over you with their face directly above your face, yelling things like "Come on! You got it! Push!"

4) Mr. Personal Trainer: You did the number of reps that you wanted to do, and they say "Come on, 2 more!"

5) Mr. Super Personal Trainer: You did the number of reps that you wanted to do, and have reached complete failure, the spotter helped you get the last rep or 2 up because you couldn't. You attempt to put the bar back on the rack, but can't. Why? Because the spotter won't let you. He forces you to not rack the bar. He says "Come on, 2 more."

6) Mr. Liar: You did a good set, with a pretty good spotter. You know you failed at the end, and needed help to get the last one or 2 up there. You rack the bar, sit up, and the spotter says "That was all you man."

7) Mr. Popular: You start your set, your spotter is standing by ready, when all of a sudden, one of his friends walk over and start a conversation. Sure, the spotter is still spotting, but he is also standing right over you talking to his friend, and his friend is standing right next to you.

8) Mr. Bent Over Row: You are doing your set pretty well, and get to the point where the spotter should begin to help. Instead of barely touching the bar, he basically does the whole rep for you.

9) Mr. I Don't Know What A Spot Is: They come over to spot you, give you a lift to help get the bar off the rack, and then walk away, as if the act of giving the lift was spotting.

10) Mr. Something is touching my head: The spotter may give a good spot, but something on them, their shirt, their shorts, or their towel, is hanging off them and touching your head as you are lifting and is annoying the **** out of you.

11) Mr. Cell Phone: You are halfway through your set, and the spotters cell phone rings. Maybe they will be nice and not answer, leaving only the constant ringing to distract you, or they will answer, hold it to their ear with their shoulder and have a conversation, while they continue to spot you.

Feel free to add more, I must have left some out.
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

Originally posted by Brawl
    ...a couple weeks ago I was benching and this young bonehead that wants to be big walked up an started to touch the bar like I needed a spot , I had my head phones on with some slipknot in it so I didn't realize I yelled way too loud " don't f*ckin touch it ". Boy was that a quiet gym for a minute .
    Oh man that's funny.

One time I had a friend spotting me while I was maxing out and there was another guy watching really close at the end of the bar. When I needed help the guy picked up the one side of the bar and it pretty much tipped it on me and my friend quickly grabbed it and racked it. I got up and yelled at the guy pretty good. People that stupid shouldn't be allowed around anything heavy.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

12) Mr. No I Got It: The guy who says he can give you a spot but when you need it, the weight's too heavy for him to help you lift it up.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

13)Mr. Coach you through the whole fuking set This is the guy that is saying, "that's it, you got it man, nice and easy" through every freakin rep, including the first few that go up with ease-or on your warm up set when you didn't even ask for a spot(ie could also be Mr. I didn't even ask for a spot)
    Last edited by HahnB; 08-09-2003 at 07:15 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

14)Mr. I'm stronger than you - after racking your weight, your spotter begins his tale of how he did 75 more pounds than that 2 weeks ago.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    15) Mr. Hound Dog. Stands behinds you and eyes all the good looking girls walking around in tight clothes. If you can rack the weight unassisted, it is probably a good thing, because he wouldn't have noticed if the bar caved your chest in.

Never Satisfied.
    16) Mr. Teacher: You could look 100 times better, be 100 times bigger, and lift 100 times heavier, but they will still give you "tips" and tell you that your form wasn't good becuse it wasn't the exact way that they do the lift.
    22 - 5'11 - not big enough yet

Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right.

The most embarrasing one nobody dears to mention!

17) Mr. 50 year old potato sack : your lying on the bench press, and your head is maybe abit far out on the bench, but not much, you ask this old dude if he can spot you, in the middle of one of the reps you can get the weight up, as he tries to help, he proceeds to actually lay his balls on your face, so you have to lie there while his balls are haning all over your face, and then you finish the set and by now his balls are covering your nose and then you get up and get a little bit embarrased and walk away.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Originally posted by Rock
    The most embarrasing one nobody dears to mention!

17) Mr. 50 year old potato sack : your lying on the bench press, and your head is maybe abit far out on the bench, but not much, you ask this old dude if he can spot you, in the middle of one of the reps you can get the weight up, as he tries to help, he proceeds to actually lay his balls on your face, so you have to lie there while his balls are haning all over your face, and then you finish the set and by now his balls are covering your nose and then you get up and get a little bit embarrased and walk away.
    I heard that Cent does this one on purpose.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!