The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Anyone trains almost every day?

5 times a week and 2 days off?

I have been training for 7 years and I am thinking to a new regimen as to train 5 days in a row with 2 days off...

How about training every other day the whole upper body--arms,chest,back,tris--and one day a week only legs?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

sounds like a pretty bad idea to me. if anything i would work legs every other day, and upper body once a week

Gonnabebig Member JuniorMint6669's Avatar
    I am currently training 2 days on, 1 day off, which gives me 4.5 average training days per week. This has worked very well for me, but I cannot imagine training 5 days straight. I cant even imagine going 3 days straight at very heavy weights. But ive only been training for a little under a year, and Im sure my conditioning is not as good as someone like yourself

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    5 days a week is cool, just not 5 days in a row.

days like sunday, monday, tuesday, off wednesday, thursday and friday, off saturday.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

My week looks like this:

on
    on
    on
    off
    on
    on
    off

worked well for me.

I don't like the idea of training five days in a row, but I know some pros who do that.
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

It could work if you broke things up. Not training for an hour a day. Do the same number of sets you would normally do, but with more intensity. I would worry if your shoulders or lower back could handle it. I worked out 6 days a week once. I did get more cut. I didn't do it for long either.

I've been doing a routine that goes: 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off. I got a little behind and tried catching up. I ended up working out 5 on and 2 off 2 weeks in a row. My body felt pretty worn out at the end and I ended up coming down with a horrible cold that I've had officially for a week now. I'm pretty convinced I ran my body down and opened myself up to get sick. A lot of people at work had the same thing but there's was done within a week. I'd figure with the shape I'm in I should have kicked it sooner than they did. But with my body so fatigued, I'm having a hard time kicking it.

I don't recommend lifting anymore than 3 days in a row. Your body gets too run down. Even if you don't work out the same parts, your overall body can't take it.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Re: Anyone trains almost every day?

Originally posted by carpediemguy
    5 times a week and 2 days off?

I have been training for 7 years and I am thinking to a new regimen as to train 5 days in a row with 2 days off...

How about training every other day the whole upper body--arms,chest,back,tris--and one day a week only legs?
    What exactly would be the benefit of training 5 days in a row? Your body gets lest rest and less time to grow, and it takes up more of your time.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Re: Re: Anyone trains almost every day?

Originally posted by HahnB

What exactly would be the benefit of training 5 days in a row? Your body gets lest rest and less time to grow.
    That a good way to look at it.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Might work if you kept the sets the same. Just broke things up. You would have more intensity. With 2 days off in a row, might work. I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

Originally posted by Berserker
    Might work if you kept the sets the same. Just broke things up. You would have more intensity. With 2 days off in a row, might work. I wouldn't be afraid to try it.
    I am gonna try it out for a month or so and see how it goes..Change is good!

The Truth
    I'm doing 6 on, one off right now.

ive lately been training everyday, alternating between heavy and light days.

My schedule happens to be:

Weights - Cardio - Weights - Cardio - Weights - Cardio - OFF

Working well for me so far. Though sometimes ill skip cardio on day 4 if my legs are particularly fatigued from lifting on day 3.....which is my legs day.

-Shawn
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

The Tuna Tempter
    carpediem guy, training 5 days in a row is not neccessarily a bad idea. It really depends on how you manage the intensity. These dudes replying to your posts are all assuming you're working to failure, that's not the only way to workout.

I'm currently working out 6 days a week, full body, in a row. No problems at all. Up until recently I was doing 2x a day,full body, 3 days a week, no problems there either.

If you want to workout frequently, check out HST.

www.hypertrophy-specific.com
    Life's too short to be small

Originally posted by Tank23
    carpediem guy, training 5 days in a row is not neccessarily a bad idea. It really depends on how you manage the intensity. These dudes replying to your posts are all assuming you're working to failure, that's not the only way to workout.

I'm currently working out 6 days a week, full body, in a row. No problems at all. Up until recently I was doing 2x a day,full body, 3 days a week, no problems there either.

If you want to workout frequently, check out HST.

www.hypertrophy-specific.com
    I do not work to failure anymore...

What does "6 days a week, full body, in a row" mean?

I cant see how you could make progress with no rest at all...

Post up your schedule...

What are your goals and how long have u been training?

I have been training for 7 years but I stopped training for the last 3 months--no desire, burnt out---however, 2 weeks ago I started to hit the iron again ..I was going to expereince a new regimen , thus my initial post about training 5 days in a row with 2 days off...

The Tuna Tempter

I do not work to failure anymore...

What does "6 days a week, full body, in a row" mean?

I cant see how you could make progress with no rest at all...

Post up your schedule...

What are your goals and how long have u been training?

I have been training for 7 years but I stopped training for the last 3 months--no desire, burnt out---however, 2 weeks ago I started to hit the iron again ..I was going to expereince a new regimen , thus my initial post about training 5 days in a row with 2 days off...
    "6 days a week, full body, in a row"

I mean that I train six days straight, monday to saturday, doing a full body workout every day. I never train to failure.

I've been training for nearly 3 years now. My goals are to be as big as possible.

What do you mean 'no rest at all' ?

I have 24 hours to rest up in between workouts. Also, the muscle is still able to recover even while being worked again 24 hours later, studies have proven this.

I would copy and paste my routine here, but it appears I have some sort of worm/virus, thus I can't get into excel!

I'll post it in a separate post later on.

Gonadius Maximus
    I have tried many combo's, as far as work out days, over the years but I am best suited with:

Mon legs,back & bis
    tue chest, shoulders, tris & abs
    wed off
    thur repeat mon
    fri repeat tue
    sat off
    sun off

Balls to the walls to failure every workout.

The Tuna Tempter
    Here's my routine Carpediemguy:

Up till a few weeks ago, I was working out 2x a day, mon-wed-fri. Now I've simply moved the PM workout to the next morning. Thus working out 6 days a week now.

AM Workout
    ----------
    Squats
    Calve Raise
    Incline BB Bench
    Lat Pulldown
    Miltary Press
    BB Shrugs
    Ezy Bar Curl
    Seated Lateral Raises
    DB Rows
    CGBP

PM Workout
    ----------
    Flat BB Bench
    DB Rows
    Leg Ext
    Weighted Decline Crunches
    One Legged Leg Curls
    CGBP
    DB wrist curl
    DB reverse wrist curl

Most exercises are one set each, lagging bodyparts 2 sets. Usually about 14 sets for the AM, and 9 or so for the PM workout.

I've had a couple different 6 day a week workouts.

One example:
    day 1: chest
    day 2: back
    day 3: calves
    day 4: legs
    day 5: shoulders
    day 6: deadlifts
    day 7: rest

Another:
    day 1: push
    day 2: pull
    day 3: legs
    day 4: push
    day 5: pull
    day 6: legs

On the first example I'd push close to failure, but on the 2nd I wouldn't. On the 2nd I might alternate, heavy and light days. Heavy push, light pull, heavy legs, light push... etc.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Originally posted by HomeYield
    I've had a couple different 6 day a week workouts.

One example:
    day 1: chest
    day 2: back
    day 3: calves
    day 4: legs
    day 5: shoulders
    day 6: deadlifts

I'd push close to failure, but on the 2nd I wouldn't. On the 2nd I might alternate, heavy and light days. Heavy push, light pull, heavy legs, light push... etc.
    Day 3" calves"....????

WHy would you chose to have a full day only for calves??

Originally posted by Tank23
    Here's my routine Carpediemguy:

Up till a few weeks ago, I was working out 2x a day, mon-wed-fri. Now I've simply moved the PM workout to the next morning. Thus working out 6 days a week now.

AM Workout
    ----------
    Squats
    Calve Raise
    Incline BB Bench
    Lat Pulldown
    Miltary Press
    BB Shrugs
    Ezy Bar Curl
    Seated Lateral Raises
    DB Rows
    CGBP

PM Workout
    ----------
    Flat BB Bench
    DB Rows
    Leg Ext
    Weighted Decline Crunches
    One Legged Leg Curls
    CGBP
    DB wrist curl
    DB reverse wrist curl

Most exercises are one set each, lagging bodyparts 2 sets. Usually about 14 sets for the AM, and 9 or so for the PM workout.
    One set per muscle group only??

How long is your w/o?

What are your stats?

I dont see any cardio routine ...

Day 3" calves"....????

WHy would you chose to have a full day only for calves??
    Because my calves are sorely lacking and after walking lunges, squatting and SLDL's, there's no way in hell that my calves are going to receive the kind of work they need to grow.

Some people just naturally have large calves. For those that don't, why do you think they never get bigger? Because they are always half-assing them after a heavy leg workout. I know this way, that if I don't get the results then its purely genetic and not just because they aren't getting worked enough.
    What is elite?

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Originally posted by HomeYield
    I know this way, that if I don't get the results then its purely genetic and not just because they aren't getting worked enough.
    I thought your post made total sense and I just wanted to play devils advocate

you "could" be overworking them by hitting them indirectly with the leg day you mentioned and then hitting them again on their own day

I agree though that after squats, hams etc.. there is not much energy left physically and mentally for calves

Originally posted by Holto

I thought your post made total sense and I just wanted to play devils advocate

you "could" be overworking them by hitting them indirectly with the leg day you mentioned and then hitting them again on their own day

I agree though that after squats, hams etc.. there is not much energy left physically and mentally for calves
    I've thought about the fact that I might be overworking them but they've never displayed even the slightest hint of overtraining symptoms. Usually its quite the opposite. I kind of think that working legs the day after actually helps them to recover quicker.

All in all, its kind of just giving them priority. Not really an hour long workout or nothing but maybe just a bit more than what you would do on a normal leg day for calves. Then you just have an extra 24 hours rest instead of that normal 3-4 minutes or whatever like you would if you did them first on leg day.

No harm in playing the devil's advocate. Gives ya an extra something to think about.
    Last edited by WillKuenzel; 08-13-2003 at 07:17 AM.
    What is elite?