The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    why is Gods name were you in this pit of a city?
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

- Really good lifts on many movements, like them squats and deadlifts!

Man, you are going to make me take a closer look at your squad at school - - good luck this season, the first game has probably got you heated -

Wednesday, August 20, 2003(Push Day)
    Weight = 167

Bench Press (280/Miss)
    I made a mistake by putting the rack too low for the bar. I ended up having to do a half rep with the 280 just to get the bar in position. I probably wouldn't have gotten it anyway, but that didn't make things any easier.

DB Military (60/12)
    These took a hit today. I'm thinking it was most likely to my workouts being bunched up closer together and me coming off less rest than I usually come off of for chest day. I wasn't able to use a normal adjustable bench since Lloyd Christmas was hogging up an adjustable one. I had to use the barbell seated military press station with the DBs. The back of the seat felt awfully different being much shorter and not even going up to my shoulders. I probably would have had a sorry set no matter what, but they didn't make things much better.

DB Laterals (30/11)
    These dropped down two reps. The most likely reason was the same as the other two exercises, which is too little rest from my last chest day.

DB Incline (70/14!)
    Hmmm…..I don't know where this came from. I was expecting something like 10 reps with how sorry my other push exercises went. I guess it could be because my incline strength just seems to be inconsistent all the time.

Nautilus Abs (210/19!)
    My last set on here for the summer made me proud.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one wore some short blue shorts along with a tank top that left the bottom foot of her midsection exposed. She had some medium length blonde hair tied back. Her face looked great also.
    2. This one had some long straight blonde hair in a ponytail. She wore some short blue shorts. She was lean, but she also lacked some lean body mass.
    3. This one had some short black shorts with a tank top. She had a very nice tan along with a very nice face and proportions. She had some brown hair in a ponytail and actually looked like she was doing some decent exercises.
    4. Miss Doll Face Karate Chick was there, but she is still disqualified.
    5. This one had some long and straight black hair in a ponytail. She wore some hot and tight gray spandex leggings that were like volleyball shorts only that they went down to the ankles. She actually had a decent face too. However, she used the abductor machine.

The winner today would be like picking my favorite Metallica album or like me picking my favorite part out of the movie Dumb and Dumber. There was just an overload of hot chicks there today. I'll go with a tie between Miss Midsection, Miss Short Black Shorts, and Miss Spandex. They all get 9's today, which is very rare for me to see 3 9s on the same day.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were curls in the squat rack. I had to wait awhile for my bench attempt because he just sat there staring at me from 5 feet away.

Other Stuff:
    1. I got "Bowling for Columbine" yesterday. I sort of was expecting to hate it since I'm pro-gun. Actually, I loved how a lot of the blame was put on the media with how they scare everyone with headlines. I got a great laugh out of the example they used with Y2K and the killer bees. I'd say that the media scare tactics to get higher ratings have cause people from other countries to think that life in the US is super dangerous. All you have to do is to look in a bunch of threads on here to see what I mean.
    2. On "Bowling for Columbine" they showed how easy it was to conceal a weapon and why "Dress Codes" were useful for schools. Well, if chicks follow my "dress code", we won't have to worry about any "concealed weapons". I mean, it is really hard to hide anything in volleyball shorts and a sports bra.

The Road to College Football:
    3 days

I hope the Twins don't make the playoffs for baseball. The first reason is because I hope it is my White Sox that win the AL Central. The second reason is because the Minnesota football team would have to move their games away from the Metrodome during the playoffs. What is the significance of this since I'm a Purdue fan you ask? Actually, every Big Ten team expected to do well should be concerned. The significance is that one of the games that could be moved would be Michigan at Minnesota. If this would happen, Michigan would get 5 home games in the Big Ten. That is not right to the other teams in the Big Ten since it could cost them a place in the Big Ten and cause them to go to a lower bowl. Minnesota does return a good chunk of their team and they won't be an easy win in the Metrodome for ANY Big Ten team.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clvmike19: I have been by there a few times on a return trip from the east coast. The last time wasn't too good of an experience since they seemed to have a bunch of construction along 80.

Cocoa: Thanks. Do you go to / live by Bowling Green? Actually, they worry me some because they had a decent team last year. It won't be a show up and win 49-0 game for Purdue. Last year, they let another MAC team in Western Michigan hang around all game. They ended up only winning by a few points in a game they easily could have lost.
    5-9 170

volleyball shorts and sports bra. Is there anything better?
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Thursday, August 21, 2003(Bonus Day)
    If my workouts were a video game, this would be like a bonus level. I did a few things today that I don't normally do just for fun.

Weight = 167

Bench Press (170/21)
    This was done out of curiosity from the "how many times can you bench your bodyweight" thread on here. My old personal best was 155 for 10 back when I was at that weight. This here is 21 reps at a higher bodyweight. Obviously, I can't get 167 out of the gym plates by the bench. (although I could have probably found a way if I wanted to with the metric bumper plates) So, I went for 170 so we wouldn't have people saying "well that's not your bodyweight" if I went for 165.

Power Cleans (200)
    I probably should have just called these "power deadlifts". My form sucks on cleans. I pretty much was straight legged deadlifting the bar up with a fling. I need to actually use my legs. It isn't that much of concern though since these aren't part of my normal workout. I just wanted to see how these felt. I bet I could do decent on these if I learned how to do the exercise well. I've heard that these are one of those exercises where technique is huge.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were curls in the power rack with [Bill Walton]horrible[/Bill Walton] form.
    2. This same guy was playing personal trainer towards his wife. He told her to go get her abductor sets in. It took me awhile to recover from the shock of bicep curler with such great form to say that.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one was that one hot chick from yesterday with the straight blonde hair. She was wearing some short red shorts today with a skin tight tank top that went about a foot short of her waist. I guess you could call that a half sports bra. She did some leg curls which made those shorts even shorter.
    2. This one was the dark haired 30-something. There really isn't much more for me to say though since I didn't see much of her.
    3. This one had some straight blonde hair in a ponytail. She had that "toned" look, but was lacking some lean body mass. Either way, she looked sort of like a model.
    4. Miss Doll Face Karate Chick was there. She did do some free weight squats, but not quite to parallel. However, she still is disqualified. She could be doing hard core deadlifts with chalk, a belt, and a suit, but she still wouldn't be un-disqualified. That would take her doing something that seemed down to earth. (As you can see, I have a major problem with the slightest hint of arrogance)

The winner of the day will be a tie between Miss 1/2 Sports Bra and Miss Model. Both looked hot.

Other Stuff:
    1. I rented Zelda Windwaker. I'm still having a hard time getting myself to play it. I hate games that make you sit through a 10 minute intro and then go through 30 minutes of BS before you can actually begin playing the game. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I don’t get to the action before I go back to school.
    2. Some guy there today benched 315 for 5 reps. I thought it was pretty impressive.

2 days

I'm reading about a 6-9 receiver we have at Purdue this year. They say he is somewhat athletic even at that height. Maybe Orton or Kirsch could throw him a few jump balls.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clvmike19: Nope
    5-9 170

I live about 20 minute north of Bowling Green University and I hear about them all the time - it is mainly a party school and they have kicked lots of ass too...

you know 170 is not your bodyweight -

i agree that power cleans have a lot of technique requirements to lift the big weights, but still, 200@167 isn't that bad
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

Friday, August 22, 2003(Pull Day)

Weight = 167

Squat Max Attempt (360/Miss)
    I don't know if I missed this mainly because I did some squats a few days back or if I'm just not strong enough to get it. In hindsight, I probably should have taken things easier this week and should have just tried a few maxes without all the other stuff.

Deadlifts(405/6!)
    Actually, this is pretty bad compared to my 452/4 or my 430/5. But, these were following a squat max, and I wouldn't be surprised if they suffered a little bit. I haven't done a set with 405 since maybe January. I'm thinking on a good day without it coming after squats, I'd get 8 reps.

Barbell Rows (170/10)
    There really wasn't any improvement here today. I'd say this set felt just like the one last time.

Pull Ups (BW+45/3)
    I put on a 45 to my dip belt and tried to see how many times I could do it. I got 3 reps which sounds about right since I usually have a 2 rep dropoff for every 5 pounds I add. Either way, I'm really happy with what I'm doing now on pull ups. I was as bad as bw+10 for 7 before this summer. Now, I probably could get 7 reps with bw+35. My pull ups still need a lot of work though. I probably need around a bw+75 for 7 just to be around what something like my dips are at.

Supported Rows (machine+135/10.5!)
    This machine wasn't too bad for the summer. The only thing I didn't totally like was how my upper body sort of wanted to come off the support occasionally.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some black hair tied back. She had a dress code violation with some windsuit pants on. She was lean, but had very little lean body mass. She was doing curls in the squat rack.
    2. Miss Doll Face Karate Chick was there….again. I've been going at totally random times this week and yet she always seems to be there. I sort of wish she wouldn't be there. She is still disqualified though.
    3. This one had some light brown wavy hair in a ponytail. She wore a skin tight gray tank top that didn't go all the way down to her waist line with some short black shorts. She was doing some leg curls a couple of feet away from me when I deadlifted. She really impressed me since she seemed to have a notebook keeping track of her lifts.
    4. The volleyball team went jogging by through the room. It's too bad they couldn't have stuck around. There looked to be a lot of hot bodies there in…….you guessed it! Volleyball Shorts.
    5. One of the other chicks there that is somewhat attractive was there again. She doesn't really have anything special about her. She just sort of looks good, but I can't put my finger on why. She had yet another dress code violation with some long pants. She did look good though with her tight tank top though. She still had some dark brown hair tied back.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Lift Recorder. She was really hot to begin with and was even better since she kept track of her lifts. Now if only she could be there doing some deadlifts and parallel squats, I really would like her.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. The hot chick listed above was doing curls in the squat rack.
    2. Some guy was doing a 110 pound smith machine military press and was yelling on each rep.

Other Stuff:
    1. I've done it! I made the top 10 posters list. Of course, being off all week had a lot to do with it.
    2. I'm moving out tomorrow to go back to school. Class starts Monday. Luckily, I should be settled in some when the football games start. They don't start until the night so that is good.
    3. I'll post my new routine tomorrow. It is for the most part like the one I did this summer. There are a few minor revisions.
    4. I took my bodyfat percentage with the calipers last night and this morning. I got 7.9% both times. I also took 5 or 6 measurements from each site to make sure I was getting consistent measurements. I wasn't totally happy about that bulk that I did back in the spring, but when I do the math, I do see some progress.

Back Then: 161 pounds (subtracting out clothes/shoes) 6.5% = 150.5 pounds lean body mass
    Now: 167 pounds 7.9% = 153.8 pounds lean body mass.

So, that is not terrible. I did end up with roughly a 50/50 fat to lean body mass split on the gain. That was sort of what I was aiming for. Hopefully I can put on about 5 more pounds by the new year and possibly gain closer to 100% lean body mass since it will be done at a slower pace. (I bulked 1 pound per week in the spring) Even if things don't work out, something like 175 at 10% wouldn't be too bad for the winter.

1 day

I'll have to come up with another countdown pretty quick. I've had them since something like late January or early February. I originally had "The Road to the Road to the Final Four" for college basketball season. Next, I had "The Road to the NBA Playoffs" Then, I had "The Road to the End of the Semester". Finally, I had the long "Road to College Football" which started over 100 days in advance. Two candidates right now are "The Road to College Basketball Season" or "The Road to Final Fantasy X-2" I think I'll go with college basketball before Final Fantasy X-2 since it won't be coming until December at the very earliest. I really want to see it come out over xmas break though. Final Fantasy X came out then and I was able to devote my full attention to it for a few weeks!
    CoCoa: I take it you live right outside Toledo then. (not that I know anyone from there; that is just what I'm picturing 20 minutes north of Bowling Green) At least nobody will call BS on me at 170.

FFeJ: Thanks. I haven't done them in 7 years. I had something like 140@140 pounds back then.
    5-9 170

don't sweat it, perhaps it was just an off day. if i'm not mistaken you did almost get 350 for a double not too long ago, so i think you should be able to handle 360.

Why is doll face karate chick disqualified?
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Sunday, August 24, 2003(Rest Day)

Here is the routine I plan on using for this upcoming fall semester. I'm moved in here at school now. MY "NEW YEAR" STARTS HERE!

Tuesday(Boring Old Arm Day)
    Tricep Extensions
    DB Curls
    Tricep Pushdowns
    Hammer Curls
    Abs

Thursday(Unadjustable Squat Rack Leg Day)
    Squats
    1 Legged Standing Calves
    Leg Curls
    Leg Extensions

Saturday(High Volume (for me) Push Day)
    (Like last year, this day may move over to Friday night occasionally due to some early football games starting at 11 am.)
    DB Bench
    DB Incline
    DB Laterals
    BB Military
    Abs
    Dips (they're back!)

Sunday(The Always Anticipated Pull Day)
    Like Push Day, this will be a tight squeeze in the fall due to pro football starting an hour after the gym opens.
    Deadlifts
    Barbell Rows
    Hammer Strength Paused Shrugs
    Pull Ups
    Compound Rowing Machine

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one was at the grocery store when I went there today. She was wearing some short really lightweight patterned shorts. She had some nicely shaped legs even though it didn't look like she does any weight training on them. She had some light brown hair tied back and a very beautiful face. To her credit, she looked like she put forth an effort to look the way she does by the groceries she was buying. She looks familiar like she had been in one of my classes a few years back.
    2. Hot Chick Superbowl Champion Miss Prove Me Wrong was there (I think). I didn't really get a good look at her to confirm it or not.
    3. Some hot neighbor chicks decided to introduce themselves to our apartment. Actually only two of them are fairly attractive. I'd say there is a 6, a 7, and an 8 out of the three. Some other guy was talking about them in our apartment and he was like, "Two of them are single and the only one taken is the ugly one!"

Other Stuff:
    1. They screwed up my internet access when I got here. The person at the office said she recognized the name from the applications, but she couldn't find the receipt. So, I had to wait a day to get online. It really does suck to not have access for as little as even a day.
    2. I don't think I'm going to be as strict on my diet this semester as I was last year during the school year. I’m not likely going to track my calories. I did however find myself buying the same healthy stuff as I always have eaten though at the grocery.
    3. I'm looking to add a pound every 3 weeks this fall. Hopefully, that will be slow enough for me to put on lean body mass more efficiently.
    4. It looks like I will only have an afternoon class on Tuesday and no class at all on Thursday. Things will work out well this way for my workouts. (since I'll have more flexibility on when I can go to avoid the crowds)

The Road to the First Home Football Game:
    13 days

Yeah, college football season already started, but I don't want to start a countdown to basketball season before my Boilermakers even play their first football game.
    Grambling must not be very good for even a I-AA team. I figured they would give San Jose State somewhat of a challenge. K-State looked impressive early on, but their defense may not be "national championship" material. I know Cal was decent last year, but I'm not so sure right now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FFeJ: Yeah, I expected to get 360 without much trouble after my set with 350. It didn't feel too heavy either, but I must have just came down in a bad position or something. It also brings into question whether a lack of knee wraps may have hurt me since I always squat completely raw.

RG570: I've been intentionally overblowing things on her since one day she decided to put a curtain up around her area while she did cardio. That just seems sort of arrogant to me, so I've been picking on her in my journal!
    5-9 170

A ****ing curtain?! what the hell kind of **** is that? She should just jog around the block if she doesnt want to be ogled for chrissakes.
    Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

i agree with RG570 on the curtain thing, if she doesn't want to be seen while doing cardio, she should just put up a treadmill in her house or apartment.

Tuesday, August 26, 2003(Arm Day)
    Weight =163.6
    Whoops! That's what usually happens when I move in to a new place. It can be hard getting down a new eating routine which usually causes my weight to drop like a rock. I thought my shorts were fitting awfully loose. This sucks because I'm looking to add weight and I just went 4-5 pounds in the wrong direction.

Tricep Extensions (105/5)
    I'm thinking the bar back at home over the summer must have been 15 instead of 20 pounds. Plus, I'm sure the weight drop contributed a few reps also to the loss. I think I'll go for high reps here next time.

DB Bicep Curls (45/10!)
    Like with tricep extensions, I think I'll stay on the 45s for awhile and go for higher reps.

Tricep Pushdowns (155/5)
    This is a couple of reps worse than what I did last spring, but I'm getting used to a different machine again.

Hammer Curls (55/7)
    These dropped off a rep from last time, but I'm sort of happy that is all they dropped. I usually lose a few reps when I switch DBs. My body will likely adapt to these new DBs and I'll be setting PRs really quick.

Cybex Ab Crunches (160/13!)
    I really pushed myself to the limit here, but was able to get a PR here despite me not having used this machine since last April.

Hot Chicks:
    1. I saw Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals on my way to the gym. She must have been done with her workout. She is only maybe a 7.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, but she gives me this impression that she is a great person. (I don't have much to go off of though.)
    2. This one wore some short white tapered up shorts that were skin tight and went to about underwear level on the side. She wore some brown hair in a ponytail, but had some extra fat around her legs. Since that extra fat didn't produce any cottage cheese though, she still makes it on here.
    3. This one wore some short and tight black shorts. She had some brown hair in a ponytail. I passed her walking down the stairs on my way and decided to take a peek to see if those black shorts were volleyball shorts. Well, they weren't volleyball shorts, but I did pick her off.
    4. This one had some short black text on the butt shorts and some dark brown hair in a ponytail. She had a nice pair of legs to go in those shorts. At first I wondered why she had sunglasses propped up on top of her head in the gym. But, she was on her way out so it wasn't like she was using them in the gym.
    5. This one wore a red bandana and had some short light blue patterned shorts. She had some very nice proportions along with a nice face. The bandada here is usually seems to be some lesbo signal, but I did pick her off while she was doing some ab work. Maybe she is bi.

The winner of the day is too tough to choose again. I could have probably made this 15 chicks long if I wanted to take the time to do that. However, I just ended up picking out the best ones for time reasons. I'll call this a three way tie between the chick with the text on the butt shorts, and the two I picked off. They all get 9's.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were curls in the squat rack.
    2. Some guy took up one of the limited number of adjustable benches to do standing bicep curls over. (he didn't want to deadlift a couple of 35 pound DBs to get them in position, so he made things worse for everyone else)

Other Stuff:
    1. Captain Short Pink Shorts was there without the short pink shorts.
    2. I had a gut feeling they were going to stick a preacher curl station where I deadlifted. Actually, I'll still have room, but I don't want some curl jockey sliding on an extra 2.5 and bumping into me while deadlifting over 500 pounds.
    3. My schedule looks nice this semester. I have one afternoon class Tuesday and no classes at all on Thursday.

The Road to the First Home Game:
    11 days
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RG570: Yeah, I don't get it. Plus, her looks are more so because of her face. She actually had a slightly below average body. Body means more than face from a distance, so she doesn't have much to worry about.
    FFeJ: She was actually doing some kind of "step-up" things with the platform in that area, but is still the same difference. I don't get why she would face towards everyone though. She could have just faced the mirror to check her form also.
    5-9 170

are you doing the db curls simulataneous or alternating ?

i'm a big fan of the text on the butt shorts, all the more of an excuse to take a peek

Hey ryan whats up. Havent stopped in for awhile. Think about hookin up with hot neighbor chicks? Go for it dude. Easy access if they are right by your place. Just under two weeks until football starts for real!

Yeeeeesssssss!

Isiah Thomas is gone!
    It looks like the request in my signature on here back in April was answered.

I would love to see Larry Bird come back here and coach, but I think it will be Rick Carlisle. (who should have never been fired)
    Last year's finish was inexcusable for a team with that much talent.
    5-9 170

The Pacers can take a hike dude, because firing that brother is not cool...

Thursday, August 28, 2003(Legs)

Weight =164.8

Squats (Ass to Floor) (225/5)
    This was the first time I have gone to this depth for a workout. I tested things out without any weight at first to make sure it was as low as I could go. What sucks is that the un-adjustable safety bars are still a few inches too low even at ATF. However, I will only have an inch or two to drop the bar off if I hit failure as opposed to something like a foot and a half. That should make significantly less noise if I do have to bail myself out of a failure. In addition to that, I won't be in as much danger with 90 pounds less weight than I would have done for the same rep range to parallel.

1-Legged Calf Raises (2 plates per side / 5)
    Ouch! This machine is much harder to keep balanced on with one leg. I'll probably keep this machine with one leg since the smith machines are always busy. Plus, I can't do 2 legged calf raises since I broke one of these last year. They just aren't strong enough to hold a decent amount of weight for both legs.

Leg Curls(125/10)
    This was where I left off on this machine at the end of last spring. I wanted to be doing more here, but I'll probably jump right up there as I adapt to this.

Leg Extensions (175/9)
    These got worse by a couple of reps from where I was last spring. But, just like leg curls they will bounce back.

Hot Chicks:
    1. I've been seeing a lot of Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals outside of the gym. I passed by her twice yesterday going to and from class.
    2. This one had some short gray shorts and some dark brown hair tied back. She had an OK face.
    3. This one had some dark brown hair in a ponytail. She had some black text on the butt shorts. However, she was sort of skinny and only had an average face.
    4. This one had some brown hair tied back. She wore some short black shorts. She had some extra fat on her legs, but there was no cottage cheese so that is always good.
    5. This one had some really short blue shorts that had a little slit on each side to show some additional skin. She had a decent pair of legs and a decent face, but used the abductor machine.
    6. This one had some blonde hair in a ponytail along with some short black shorts. She merely had an ok body and face though so she barely makes it.
    7. This one was tall with a nice face. She had some dark brown hair in a ponytail. She had some short blue shorts on, but they should have been volleyball shorts since she looks like a volleyball player.
    8. This one had some short black shorts along with some light brown hair in a ponytail. She had some nice legs.
    9. There was a duo in some sports bras outside the gym as I was walking back.

The winner of the day is a tie between Miss Abductor Machine and Miss Volleyball Player Look-Alike. They both get 8s.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were curls in the squat rack.

Other Stuff:
    1. I originally said that I was not going to track my calorie intake. Well, I changed my mind. I want to have precise control over my slow bulk. That would be near impossible if I don't track my intake. I did make a compromise though by eliminating the tracking of my protein intake.
    2. The neighbor chicks came over last night to watch a movie with all of us in our apartment. They said they will be back next week for another movie. We all hope so too.
    3. I picked up my football voucher today. I was somewhat worried when there were complications with my financial aid that caused them to hold them. Everything has been straightened out now though. I'll need to get there at 8:30am on Tuesday to get the best seats possible. I didn't want them to pick my seats for me this year. Last year, they stuck me in row 2. The bad thing about that was that it was too low. The visiting sideline blocked a corner of the opposite end zone. I missed arguably the biggest play in all of college football last year because of it. (OSU's pass on 4th down to save their season against us) I'll likely ask for a higher seat closer to the 50 yard line rather than a front row seat closer to the end zone.
    4. I peeked inside the stadium today. It is done now on both sides and the concourse looks much better. In addition to that, there looks to be more entrance points to the stadium which should speed things up when entering. I remember having to wait 20 minutes to get in just because of the bottlenecked entry points.

9 Days

Tonight's possible upset would be Northern Illinois over Maryland. NIU is better than most people would think and that is not a wise team for Maryland to schedule on the road. Obviously, I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it could happen.
    FFeJ: I alternate my DB and Hammer Curls. I think that way works the best with them. I am surprised at how many chicks wear the text on the butt shorts. But, the ones that complain about being checked out usually seem to be the ones that actually probably wish they would get checked out. I always find it funny how the most attractive ones never complain about things like that. It usually comes from the 4s, 5s, and 6s.

clvmike19: See above. Actually, that wasn't my idea, but I'm not complaining. Two aren't that special. They are both probably 7s since one only has an ok body and the other is just an average face with an okay body. But, the other is very good. I'd say she is an 8.5, but if she wouldn't be so small, she would be a definite 9. Her face is awesome. I'd bet she is under 5' and a legitimate sub-100 pounds.

CoCoa: I actually wanted him to be the coach after Bird left, but I feel the team was too talented to finish where they did the past 2 seasons. The first season was understandable since they were rebuilding.
    5-9 170

Originally posted by ryan1117
    Tonight's possible upset would be Northern Illinois over Maryland. NIU is better than most people would think and that is not a wise team for Maryland to schedule on the road. Obviously, I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it could happen.
    Pats self on back.
    I think I'll make some more predictions every Friday here or something like that for the Saturday Games.
    5-9 170

Friday, August 29, 2003(Rest Day)
    I went to the grocery today and got some food. I picked up some Fiori which seems to be one of my most common foods I eat. I had this pretty much all semester last spring and I'm picking up where I left off. It seems to be a good mid day source of quality carbs.

Tomorrow's Games
    I think I'll try to post some predictions here every Friday for the upcoming games. I didn't do this last year because I was afraid that it would be frowned upon in my workout journal. With seeing some other journals, I shouldn't have much to worry about. Some journals on here never post workouts, so I don't think I'm doing that much of a crime on here.

Best Game of Last week:
    Northern Illinois over Maryland
    I'll count the Thursday night games as the previous week. This seemed to be the best one out of the low number of games on before this Saturday. I didn't get to see it on TV since we have "fake cable" here at school, but it looked pretty exciting going into overtime. I did follow it over ESPN's Gamecast. People like Trev Alberts didn't see that coming, but I did. I also still feel Maryland is a good team despite all the people that will badmouth them now.

My Trev Alberts Pick Of Last Week:
    This section won't have anything until next week. This is where I will talk about my worst prediction from last week. Trev Alberts picked the Big Ten to go 0-7 in bowl games last year. Instead, the Big Ten finished with the best bowl record and the National Champion.

Game of the Week:
    Ohio State vs. Washington
    This game could be close, but I'm thinking most likely that OSU will take care of Washington. I could see Washington making it a game like they somehow did against Michigan last year. However, Washington is probably the most overrated team in all of college football. They couldn't run the ball last year, and I have a hard time seeing them do so at the horseshoe. Ohio State has trouble scoring points, so that could keep Washington in the game. You have to remember that OSU does return most of their offensive players rather if that means for better or for worse. Of course they will be without Clarett, but I don't think they will need him. They have enough quality backups.

Final Score: Ohio State 24 Washington 13

Potential Upset of the Week:
    Clemson over Georgia
    If I remember right, this was a close game last year at Georgia. This year, things are at Clemson. Both teams seem to return about the same number of players, so I expect this to possibly be a good game.

Overrated/Underrated:
    Overrated: (AP Ranking)
    1. Washington (17th)
    2. Tennessee (12th)
    3. Georgia (11th)

Underrated: (AP Ranking)
    1. NC State (16th)
    2. West Virginia (47th)
    3. Notre Dame (20th)

Best Team/Worst Team
    Best Team: Oklahoma--I think they are slightly better right now than Ohio State and Miami.
    Next Win: North Texas

Worst Team: Army--This is hard to pick the worst team this early in the year, but I'll go with Army for now.
    Next Loss: UCONN
    5-9 170

Ryan nice call on the NIU game. I got to watch that one on TV thurs night. There were three games on plus the Browns game. NIU/Maryland, BYU/GT, Miami/LA Tech. I love football season. Toledo/UNLV is on now. Ill watch that until I go out later.

Saturday, August 30, 2003(Push Day)
    Weight = 165

DB Bench (80/12.5!)
    I'm back to the DBs now for bench. I'm planning on using high reps to try to kick my chest strength in gear. This was a half a rep improvement for the most I have done at this weight. I had really sorry balance here, so that is encouraging that I still set a PR. All I was really looking for was to pick up where I left off.

DB Incline (70/12)
    This dropped down, but the adjustable bench may not be quite the same setting as the other one.

DB Laterals (30/9)
    These were down, but were also with different DBs.

BB Military (135/8)
    These are later in my workout, so I'm not too worried about only getting 8 reps here. Plus, I'm sure it will take a little time to adapt back to the barbell.

Cybex Abs (160/13)
    These stayed the same as they were on Tuesday.

Dips (BW+80/10!)
    They're baaaacccckk! I was happy to put up improvement here after such a long layoff. I was only hoping to get what I did before, but did a little better. Maybe I can try to get another "road to" thread. The double bodyweight dip is the only other one on the horizon for me in the near future. I actually was getting pretty close a year ago. I was within 25 pounds, but my dips never really improved much. Hopefully, I can get those 25 pounds or so and master two "road to" threads.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some brown wavy hair tied back. She wore some short gray shorts and had a nice face. She was leaving when I went in, but we made eye contact.
    2. This one had some medium length blonde hair and nice "tone" She was wearing some golf shirt and was bending over to stretch her hamstrings. I like it when chicks stretch their hamstrings!
    3. This one had some short blue shorts and some light brown hair tied back. She was doing abs and had nice proportions and had a very nice face.
    4. This one had some short navy shorts and some long straight dark brown hair in a ponytail. She was pretty lean and could have used some extra lean body mass. However, she still looked good when she was stretching and her short shorts rode up her legs a little more.
    5. This one had some dark green soccer shorts and some straight brown hair in a ponytail. She was sort of tall and had a decent face.
    6. This one wore some short baby blue shorts that were inside out. She had some dark brown hair tied back. She was on the seated rowing machine. But, that was the cardio one and not the lifting one.
    7. I picked off some chick on my way out. I didn't really get a good look at her though. All I could see was that she had an average face and wasn't fat, so she is at least a 7.

The winner of the day is a tie between Miss Soccer Shorts, Miss Navy Shorts, Miss Golfer, and Miss Short Blue Shorts. They all get 8.5s.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Someone was reading a book while getting a strenuous workout on the recumbent bike.

Other Stuff:
    1. It was really pleasant this morning. I went to the gym fairly early for a Saturday and it was the least crowded I think I have ever seen it.
    2. They had some other MTV show on last night. This one was over a "fat camp". I'll give credit to the people going there. They took responsibility for their actions and didn't give such crazy lines as, "There's nothing I can do about it." or the ever so bs'ed "I have too much muscle so I don't lift" I felt really bad for this girl that spent all this money so she could go there and they said it will take her 2 years to pay it off. I think it was wrong for the camp to treat those people like prisoners when they were there. Plus, the cost was something like 4 or 8 grand plus expenses. Either the camp was extremely inefficient or more likely they are just taking advantage of such an issue. I know there is a market for it, but I think it is morally wrong.
    3. I'm having a good day since IU got blown out by UCONN. I can't stop laughing at that. I figured they would get a little better this year. Some of their fans were complaining before the game that they were underdogs. It was really fun to go to the IU board and see all their fans whining after this game. But, I have to give those fans credit. At least they aren't like the normal IU fair-weather fans that root for Notre Dame in football since they know their own team sucks. Next week, they get a pissed Washington team! My new quote comes from what another Purdue Fan had on the messageboards. It's not football…It's DiNardo. (DiNardo is IU's coach)(the saying is like the Digiorno commercial that goes "It's not delivery, It's Digiorno!")
    4. I couldn't stop laughing when an OSU fan had a no Trev Alberts sign flying during College Game Day. Like I said, that is the same Trev Alberts that picked the Big Ten to go 0-7 in bowl games last year.
    4. That being said, my Trev Alberts pick of the week will easily be my possible upset pick of Clemson over Georgia. They lost 30-0 at home against a Georgia team that lost a lot of players. It looks like another Bowden will be out of college football soon.
    5. I think Purdue started an ugly uniform trend in college football. Illinois and Oregon looked horrendous today in their new 3rd color uniforms.
    6. I found it funny how Nebraska made all these Special Teams blunders today. I think it is definitely not a coincidence that is happening since Scott Downing is there now. Scott Downing is Jeff George of Assistant Coaches. He coached Purdue's special teams the last few years. To make a long story short, Purdue's special teams blunders lost them 6 games last year that they probably should have won with how the offense and defense played. That is how you can be the first team in forever to finish first in the Big Ten in total offense and total defense, yet lose 6 games.
    7. I think I saw OSUs touchdown over my Boilermakers for about the 1000th time. I thought they would quit showing that with the new year.

7 days
    clvmike19: Thanks, but I really made a Beano Cook "Ron Powlus will win two Heismans" prediction by thinking Clemson might upset Georgia.
    5-9 170

OSU couldve won bigger. But Tress goes into a shell when he gets up on a team. Im not sure why, but he did it at YSU too. But the man has 5 National Championships, so who am I to question his methods.

How about Auburn/USC LOL! Not that I like to see USC win, but ESPN kept showing the kid from Auburn saying USC's defense isnt even close to Auburn's. SO they throw a shutout at them!

Bring on the Cougars!

Oh yeah YSU won. WOOHOO! Way to beat Div II Edinboro. LOL.
    Last edited by clvmike19; 08-31-2003 at 10:34 AM.

Sunday, August 31, 2003(Pull Day)

Weight = 164.8

Deadlifts(405/7!)
    I was sort of expecting a sorry set, but came up with an extra rep over last week. However, I was doing deadlifts after a squat max last week, so it isn't the fairest comparison. Either way though, this is the most reps I have done with 405. I think I'll put off maxing until the week after next. I don't think I'd get 510 next week if I tried for it. I was glad to see the weight drop from moving didn't affect my deadlift like it has affected some of my other lifts. For some reason I had my hands slightly offset on this set today. But, I sort of liked it because my right hand was clear of my right thigh.

All deadlifts will be done with straps while at school since chalk is not allowed. I know some 315 pound deadlifters might want to sound all cool and say to lift without straps or chalk, but they are too ignorant to see what something such as 500 pounds plus really feels like. Back when I was deadlifting in the mid 300's, there was no need for chalk. However, like any normal person, strength will quickly outpace a chalkless grip. I did talk a guy there into letting me use chalk last semester, but it got too annoying because a different person would be working there every week telling me I can't use chalk. I'd also like to note that I didn't miss a beat when I used straps last spring. During the summer, I picked right up where I left off with a chalk grip. My grip didn't magically disappear like some people like to imply on here.

Barbell Rows (170/10)
    I think I'm going to intentionally hold things here for a few weeks and work on form.

Hammer Strength Shrug Static Holds (365)
    I could time these, but I'll just hold the weight at the top of the lift as long as I can. I'm not too worried about direct trap work since deadlifts work them nicely.

Pull Ups (BW+30/7)
    These dropped off a little, but the width of my grip feels different on what they have here. Therefore, I can't really compare things anyway. I will note though that this absolutely destroys what I was doing for weighted pull ups on the same station last spring. I'm doing 20 more pounds for 7 reps.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some light straight brown hair tied back. She wore some short aqua shorts and was bending over stretching or something when I came in. That made her shorts minimum clearance and her legs did look pretty good. She did some DB exercises.
    2. This one wore some light blue shorts and wore some brown hair in a ponytail. She had a nice face and decent proportions. She was doing some assisted pull ups.
    3. This one look nearly exactly like number 3, but she had some short red shorts on.
    4. This one was tall and had some blonde hair in a ponytail. She wore some short gray shorts.
    5. This one had some light brown hair tied back. She wore some gray tight shorts that fit the contour of her legs nicely.
    6. This one wore some short yellow shorts and had some blonde shoulder length hair. She had an absolutely gorgeous face, but was on one of those cardio rowing machines.
    7. Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals was there, but I almost missed her. Like I said before, her attractiveness barely makes it on here, but for some reason I find her attractive. I'm thinking it is because she gives me the nice girl vibe instead of the bitch vibe most attractive ones give me. (who knows if my instincts are right though) She was doing some hyperextensions which is impressive since she is working the lower back instead of just the normal female abs and the abductor machine. Just my luck though, she probably thinks it is an ab exercise.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Hamstring Stretcher. Like I said before, chicks stretching the hamstrings in short shorts is a beautiful thing.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. At this early time in the morning, the mystery-makers weren't there yet.

Other Stuff:
    1. My left hand is feeling strange. It is like I did something to some tendons on the surface of the side opposite of the palm. It feels sore there when I move it.
    2. I'm feeling lazy today because I've been getting way ahead on homework in thermodynamics. I'm 3 weeks into the year on homework after the first week. In fact, I have covered enough to take me to the first exam. I figure if I get ahead there where my workload is low, I won't be so swamped once exams come rolling around.

The Road to the first Home Game:
    6 days
    clvmike19: I thought USC would be a solid team and I felt Auburn wasn't as good as people were thinking, but I picked Auburn to win by 1 in that game. I figured USC might have trouble on offense without Palmer. But, I'd say that game proved that Auburn isn't very good and USC is probably as good as they were last year. I agree that OSU could have won by something like 42-7 if they didn't let up. OSU is about how I expected them to be after that game. I just think that Washington is not very good. Their running game is even worse than I thought. (I know it was against OSU's defense, but 7 yards rushing!?!?) I think they are headed for a 7-6 or 7-7 season.
    5-9 170