The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Straps are teh ghey. BE A MAN!

Pup, in reference to me: "he's like Budiak...but worse"

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

BigChaseyChase: "Cutting, there will not be!"

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Galileo - "Someday maybe I'll be able to use the big boy weights like RG570."

Tuesday, September 02, 2003(Arm Day)

Weight =164.8

Tricep Extensions (90/10.5)
    I'm actually not sure how much I was really doing here. I'm guessing it was 90 pounds. There wasn't a 30 pound ez curl bar available today, so I had to find another one. I haven't really checked to see what this one weighs, but I'm guessing 20 pounds.

DB Bicep Curls (45/11!)
    These haven't been too bad. I'd say my form is really solid on them.

Tricep Pushdowns (155/7)
    Like I expected, this jumped up after last week. I'm still getting used to this machine again.

Hammer Curls (55/7)
    I didn't have any extra reps in me here.

Cybex Ab Crunches (160/13)
    I'm still sitting here stuck on 13 reps.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some short yellow text on the butt shorts. She had decent shaped legs to go with them. She wore some shoulder length blonde hair. Her face was only average though. She really impressed me by doing free weight squats. It was too much for me to hope for her to do them to depth though. But, that is still nice to see either way.
    2. This one had some short red-orange shorts and some dark brown wavy hair tied back. She had decent proportions, but used the abductor machine.
    3. This one had some blonde hair tied back. She wore some short black shorts and had some nicely shaped lean legs. She was doing some leg lifts.
    4. This one wore some short navy shorts. She was sort of tall and had some dark brown hair in a ponytail. However, she used the abductor machine.
    5. This one was in line about ten spots in front of me while picking up football tickets. She had some short yellow shorts and an extremely nice pair of legs. They were sort of like legs that have the muscle of soccer players, but the leanness of a volleyball player's legs. It's too bad she only had an average face though. But, either way, she is still like an 8.5 due to the body.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Leg Lifts and I think I'll throw in Miss Squats since she was actually doing free weight squats. Miss Leg Lifts was probably an 8.5 and Miss Squats was maybe a 7.5. I won't count the football ticket chick since I didn't see her at the gym. But, I'm sure she probably does lift with legs like hers. I'm doubting she could get legs like that solely by going the "don't be fat" route.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were probably a lot of them today, but I didn't really pay much attention.

Other Stuff:
    1. I lied about the number of sets I had left when someone asked me today. I've learned to never tell someone you have one set left. If you do, they will just stare at you the whole time and sometimes get too close for comfort while you are performing the lift. So, I just told him I had two sets left and he bothered someone else.
    2. I'm not too happy about where my football tickets are. I got there pretty early today and waited two hours in line so I could get a good seat. I said when I went up, "I want the closest to midfield you have." Somehow I ended up getting on the f*cking goal line. The problem is that I'm positive they had tickets in the upper rows on say like the 30 yard line. I'm sure there were seats in row 70 there. I don't think she understood that I would have taken row 73 on even the 20 over row 20 on the goal line.
    3. We played some football tonight against the people of the apartments around here. I pretty much just played safety and receiver all night. The people on the other team were giving me five on my speed. I did get an interception while I was on defense and knocked down a 4th down pass of theirs. Sometimes I wonder if I have gotten any faster since high school because it just seems like I have a big time advantage in speed whenever I play stuff.

The Road to the First Home Game:
    4 days
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RG570:
    5-9 170

i feel for you on the chalk man, even though i'm lifting measely weight (not much over 300) for deads compared to yours, chalk still makes a difference for me. one cool thing about MY university gym is there's like 4 chalk containers strewn out in the weightlifting area. i was extremely happy to find this out.
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

Lol... your a funny guy. You also have some nice strength, and are about the same size as me. I'll be following along in your journal from now on... your Gym mysteries are cracking me up...
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

...and the winner of the day goes to the hot chick with the pony tail -

3 more days!!! Until teh Irish!!

4 days until the Browns get whooped on (I hope not) by your Colts
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Hot Chix
    I seen one that looked like a brazillian Thalia. Hella,Hotti. Keep posting those betties Btw ryan your lifting good for your wt, Whats your bf%?.

-AllUp
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Thursday, September 04, 2003(Legs)

Weight =166.2

Squats (Ass to Floor) (225/6!)
    These were about what I expected them to be today. I was relieved to see that my major leg soreness due to football didn't really affect these. The only thing that sort of worries me is that if I ever hit failure on these. I'll be fine safety-wise (that is part of why I'm doing ATF instead of parallel), but it would be embarrassing because people would use their terrible skills at reading between the lines and think I was doing too much weight.

1-Legged Calf Raises (2 plates per side / 6!)
    I'm worried that I'm only working out my balance and not so much my calves on here.

Leg Curls (125/10.5!)
    These were a half a rep better after waiting forever to do them due to a long line.

Leg Extensions (Not Happening)
    I was surprised and glad that my leg soreness due to playing football didn't affect my squats. However, it really affected my leg extensions. My quads still feel strange and after a couple of reps on here, I knew I'd be better off not doing them.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some brown wavy hair tied back. She had a dress code violation with some pants on, but at least they were tight.
    2. This one had some long brown hair in a ponytail. She wore a cut off white shirt which is a dress code violation in regards to the "fitness center". Of course, it is just fine with me! She wore some short black shorts and had a nice pair of legs.
    3. This one had some light brow hair tied back. She wore some short black shorts and had nice proportions, but was on the recumbent bike.
    4. This one wore some short baby blue shorts and had some light brown wavy hair tied back. She had a decent pair of legs.
    5. This one wore some short red shorts and had some long dark brown straight hair in a ponytail. She had nice proportions.
    6. This one had some short black hair. She had a decent face that canceled out her semi-lesbo look with the short hair. The really short black shorts and decent legs also helped her.
    7. This one had some shoulder length blonde hair and some short black shorts. She had a nice face which made up for her kind of strange hair.
    8. Miss Volleyball Shorts finally was there for the first time this year. At the end of last year, she wasn't quite living up to her name for the final few weeks by only wearing some short shorts. Well, she came here today in an all new pair of volleyball shorts. They were better than her old pair. Plus, she keeps getting hotter. Her face looks nicer; her body is not as anorexic as it was last year. Last year, her volleyball shorts kind of carried her in the early part of the year. Now, she is hot enough that she doesn't need volleyball shorts to make her hot. She was doing some stretching which would have made normal shorts ride up the thighs more, but she was wearing volleyball shorts which already have minimum clearance.
    9. Some hot chick with a spectacular face was there. All I saw of her was her face when I sort of picked her off. A counter was in the way for me to see the rest of her body.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Volleyball Shorts since she made her return. Chick number 9 looked pretty hot with her face, but I didn't get to see enough of her to make a fair judgment.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. There were curls in the squat rack.
    2. There were upright rows in the squat rack.
    3. Some curl jockey moved the preacher curl rack back where the open space for deadlifts was. This has sort of went back and forth. It was like this at the starting of the year, but some person who I assume was a serious lifter moved it. I'm guessing it was either someone doing barbell rows or deadlifts.

Other Stuff:
    1. I should have stretched before I played football the other day. I wasn't sure how long the game would last so I didn't bother to stretch. Who knows how many 30 or 40 yard routes I sprinted while being receiver and while being on the other team's best guy on defense. That really tore up my legs.
    2. I guess even I am starting to feel how some of the bigger bodybuilders feel. Even though I mostly train for strength and not as much for physique, I was sort of bothered by something that happened last night. We were watching movies over here with a few other people and one of the females asks, "Who was that guy that was over here last time?" Okay, I know I'm making a somewhat significant assumption that she is interested in him, but this guy is like 5-9 135! It wasn't personality that she could have been interested in because he didn't do much talking.

The Road to the First Home Game:
    2 Days

There isn't a college game on tonight, but the NFL does kick off. I don't have any fantasy players playing tonight so it doesn't affect me. But, I did notice that a few players in the league have players playing tonight.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FFeJ: I probably should have made it clearer that the 315 I picked out is a decent weight. I wasn't really cracking on that weight. There is just a gigantic difference in how tough it is to grip the bar between say 3 plates and 315 and 5 plates and 495. I don't think a lot of these people realize just how hard it is to lift to your potential with that much weight, without chalk or straps, and a weak knurling.

Big o Boy: Thanks, the gym mysteries will likely pick up some now that I'm back at the university gym. Luckily for me, they haven't been too bad so far.

CoCoa: Yeah, a lot wear ponytails in the gym. Most of them have to for safety reasons due to the long hair. But, I do admit that I like that hair style better on a majority of women with long hair.

clvmike19: I'm surprised that Notre Dame is only a 6 point favorite at home. This is getting way ahead of things, but I just might (key word on might) root for them if them and Purdue win all their games the week before the 27th. That might get College Gameday here. I still think they will unfairly take Texas A&M vs. Pitt though. I'd consider Pitt the same as Purdue and Notre Dame, but Texas A&M isn't rated right now. Of course they may also stay in the studio, but I can't see them passing over Purdue and Notre Dame if both can make it to the top ten by then.

I'd say the Browns are the favorite against my Colts for the opener. I didn't check the line, but I don't feel super confident about the game. They escaped there last year. My Colts fell down 16-0 or whatever at half time and I thought for sure the Browns were going to complete that pass in the end zone at the end of the game.

AllUp: Thanks, the calipers said 7.9 the last time I checked which was about two weeks ago.
    5-9 170

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Dude, this is the funniest and coolest journal I have seen. Looking forward to your adventures with the hot chick report and gym mysteries.

At my gym, the have a separate gym of free weights reserved for women, it's in a separate room, you can't see who in there. But most of the hotties go to the cardio dept which is open room, which is bike, elipstical and etc. One time this chick was using this Cybex machine for the quads, which was in the open gym which the men go to. I used her as my motivation to do my assisted dips. Does that make me a bad person????
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

no it's cool, i was just agreeing with you that there is a significant difference in a ~300 lift as opposed to ~500.

as for failing on squats, considering maybe .1% of the people that go there squat as low as you do, i don't think they'd be thinking that you couldn't handle the weight
    "It's a good weight... for a small woman." -Dorian Yates

Friday, September 05, 2003(Rest Day)
    I still have soreness in my legs. Of course this is normal after a leg day, but I still hadn't gotten over the soreness from playing football the other day.

Best Game of Last Week:
    Ohio State over Washington
    Okay, this wasn't exactly a close game, but Washington was ridiculously overrated. They don't have a running game, have a mediocre defense and yet they are somehow supposed to be good. Yeah right. As annoying and ignorant as many Ohio State fans can be, I was still glad they pounded Washington. The reason I call many of their fans ignorant is because last year a good portion of them were coming on the Purdue board and picking a 30 point win. Of course, they were extremely lucky to even win that game.

My Trev Alberts Pick Of Last Week:
    Picking Clemson Over Georgia
    I figured all the players Georgia lost would set them up for a potential upset. Now the big question is if Georgia just reloaded or if Clemson is downright terrible.

Tomorrow's Games

Game of the Week:
    Florida vs. Miami
    I'm already clueless on how College Gameday is going to Tuscaloosa over Coral Gables. Sure, Oklahoma is ranked number 1, but Alabama isn't ranked. Miami vs. Florida is a bigger game. Florida put up 65 against a cupcake the first game so it is too hard to tell how they will be. Miami blew out a Louisiana Tech team on the road that was not a total cupcake game. I think the Miami defense and special teams shut down Florida. I'm not sure how Brock Berlin will do against his former team. He looked sort of questionable against Louisiana Tech.

Final Score: Miami 42 Florida 28

Potential Upset of the Week:
    Boston College Over Penn State
    Penn State struggled against Temple last week. At first I thought Penn State was underrated, but I think some others may have picked things right with them having a mediocre year. Boston College lost a game they probably should have won over a very good Wake Forest team last week. I think they win this game if Penn State plays like they did last week against Temple.

Overrated/Underrated:
    Overrated: (AP Ranking)
    1. Virginia (15th)
    2. Washington (22nd)
    3. Wisconsin (18th)
    4. Auburn (17th)

Underrated: (AP Ranking)
    1. Oklahoma State (44th)
    2. NC State (14th)
    3. USC (4th)

Momentum:
    This section will be where I mention teams that are on the move. Obviously, I didn't have enough games last week to do this.

Going Up: USC
    Auburn was overrated, but a shutout win on the road against them is still a huge win for USC. It looks like they won't miss Carson Palmer.

Going Down: Auburn
    It was a tough one to pick between Auburn and Washington, but Auburn lost at home, so they get the tiebreaker here.

Best Team/Worst Team
    Best Team: Oklahoma
    They are still number one, but have some other good teams on their tail in USC and Miami. Ohio State is also up there, but their win over a grossly overrated Washington team was about where I expected them to be, so they didn't gain any ground with my opinion last week.
    Next Win: Alabama

Worst Team: Army--They still haven't played this year, but they will stay here for now.
    Next Loss: UCONN

My Team's Prediction
    Here is the selfish part of my predictions where I pick how my Boilermakers will do.

Purdue vs. Bowling Green:
    This will be a noon kickoff tomorrow. That means I'll have to get to the gym around 9:00am. This game scares me. I know a lot of people in the media are assuming Purdue will start 3-0. I think that is a risky assumption. I think Purdue will win this game though. This is just one of those "nothing to gain and everything to lose" types of games. Bowling Green has a great offense and the key of the game will probably be if Purdue can stop them. I think they will stop them for the most part. Purdue's most important point of the game is to make sure they don't turn the ball over and don't have a bunch of special teams blunders. With Scott Downing gone, I think their special teams will only be bad and not horrendous like they were last year.

Purdue 38 Bowling Green 21

I got a good laugh out of an article the Seattle Times wrote about IU Football.
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...73_uwfb04.html

I'm afraid Purdue's season just went down the drain. Trev Alberts was talking about how teams need to watch out for Purdue in the Big Ten.
    --------------------------
    CanadianHomer: Thanks. I don't get why your gym would have a women's only area with free weights. 90% of them at my gym only use machines. Some people on this site wouldn't like you using that one as motivation, but you will have no complaints about it from me!

FFeJ: Yeah, I know you were. That response was directed at some of the people that like to badmouth a person's grip when they never have experienced anything nearly as heavy.

As for the squats, I still want to avoid hitting failure. The people that incorrectly read between the lines really bother me. Considering I usually get enough dirty looks on deadlift day, I don't think I could really stand any more than I am already getting. Stuff like that drives me nuts.
    Last edited by ryan1117; 09-05-2003 at 08:42 PM.
    5-9 170

Bulking Sith Knight Stephen Riddington's Avatar
    Kinda complicated to explain it how it works, I believe actions speak louder and clearer than words. Well, looking forward to your next hot chicks report, keep them coming.
    You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'-Homer Simpson
    My brother always said that drowning in beer would be like heaven. Well, my brother's not here and I have two soakers... This sucks!!!-Bob McKenzie
    Hockey is murder on ice-Jim Murray
    Give a guy a gun, he thinks he's Superman. Give him two and he thinks he's God.-Superintendent Pang (Hard Boiled)

I'm a big OU fan, and I hope they go all the way this year, and don't trip up on OSU for the 3rd time in a row. I haven't been following all that well on other teams, but I'll be rooting for Purdue 2 if it makes ya happy.

And I know OSU is underrated, but they did lose to Nebraska which is kinda a kick in the ace. You think USC is underrated at 4th?

Anyhow, I like the rundowns of the teams and everything. College Football is so much more exciting than NFL.
    Last edited by Big o Boy; 09-06-2003 at 12:20 AM.
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:

foosball?

Budiak: "Statistically I've gained almost an inch on my arms...but thats just theory, and we know what theory gets us. Thats right. Communism."

sir millard mulch: "I could probably punch some chick really hard at this point"

Saturday, September 06, 2003(Push Day)
    Weight = 167

DB Bench (80/13!)
    Balance is still somewhat of a weakness here, but I guess it is a good sign that I'm setting PRs despite my balance issues.

DB Incline (70/13)
    This is up a rep and is the most I have done on this adjustable bench here. I'm not sure how the incline here compares to the one I used over the summer, so I can't call this improvement yet.

DB Laterals (30/9)
    These still feel a little hard with the different DBs.

BB Military (135/9)
    This is the best I have done on these with where they are in my workout. However, I have done 5 or 10 pounds more before with these coming earlier in my workout.

Cybex Abs (160/13)
    These are still giving me a hard time to find improvement, but this set may have been a little easier than the last few times I did them.

Dips (BW+85/9!)
    This is a PR here. This is a good sign since I couldn't improve at all on dips last spring. I didn't do them during the summer and I'm now improving with them in my routine again.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some short gray dark brown shorts. She wore some straight brown hair in a ponytail. She had her sleeves rolled up. She had decent lean body mass and also recorded her workout. Considering how rare that is for even men, that really impresses me. She also seemed to have a structured routine with doing only arms. That tells me that she is not just doing a bunch of random exercises.
    2. This one had some blonde straight hair in a ponytail. She wore some short red shorts and had an okay pair of legs. She was fairly tall.
    3. This one had some short red shorts and brown hair tied back. She had some fat, but no cottage cheese, so things are all good. Actually, when I saw her closer, she seemed to have more lean body mass. She was doing some lying leg lifts and free weight bench.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Notebook. She was probably an 8 before, but her recording her lifts bumped her up to a 9.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. Someone was doing curls and blocking access to all the DBs. I made sure to grab my DBs right before he started so I didn't have to wait.
    2. There were curls in the squat rack.

Other Stuff:
    1. Obviously, I'm not very happy after today's game. I and many other fans aren't happy with Tiller at all right now. Our top running back, Brandon Jones got 2 carries. (yes 2 carries) Our 3rd-stringer pretty much ran for 18 wasted downs and 65 yards. What is really frustrating is that I donít think the offensive line gave up a sack the entire game. Therefore, the pitiful running game should be placed on the running back. But, it is not Void's fault Tiller has no clue on talent. Void did his best and who knows why Tiller decides Brandon Jones is good enough for 2 carries. I haven't been so mad at Tiller since 2000 when we came into South Bend with Drew Brees and Tiller decided to run it twice as much as Drew Brees passed it.
    2. Tiller also didn't help matters when he punted it on 4th and short something like 4 separate times past the 50 yard line. These were in the first half when the offense was moving the ball fairly well. Not being aggressive kept Bowling Green in the game when they possibly could have been put away in the first quarter.
    2. Our Quarterback Kyle Orton seems to lock on one receiver and not look at the entire field when he drops back. Even before this game I've been saying to everyone that Brandon Kirsch is a better QB (he is our backup). He was the one who put us in a position to beat Ohio State last year before they made that pass.
    3. The winning touchdown pass in this game was all too similar to the Ohio State one last year. Only this time, it was a wounded duck into double coverage on 4th down. Somehow neither player could knock down the ball which would have won the game for Purdue since they could have ran the clock out.
    4. Our 6-9 receiver made a touchdown reception today. It was just a jump ball to him. Since he is so much taller than everyone and fairly athletic, he can jump up and get it.
    5. I did pick Purdue to win today, but as I posted in multiple places in my journal, I was worried about this game. Unfortunately, my worries came true and I wasn't just paranoid.
    6. That was a huge comeback by Miami. It saved my prediction for the day.
    7. I did pick an upset for the 2nd out of 3rd week. I picked Boston College over Penn State.
    8. There were actually three people today doing curls and not doing them in the squat rack. That is a nice site to see. Maybe people are realizing that 65 pounds or whatever is not so hard to deadlift to get the bar in the starting position.
    9. Maybe the Colts will cheer me up tomorrow.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    CanadianHomer: I used to have that saying in my signature.

Big o Boy: Winning at Ohio State will be extremely difficult. I'll be happy if they make it a game when they go there. I figure Oklahoma State is still decent because wins in Lincoln are hard to come by regardless of how down Nebraska is. They seemed to play well, but lost the game due to turnovers at the most critical of times. (reminds me of Purdue last year) I guess USC is okay at 4th, but they would probably be a team I wouldn't want to play at least based on how good their defense looked in the first game.

RG570: That reminds me of Waterboy.
    5-9 170

I agree with you on that one... Ohio State is going to be one tough cookie, seeing as how they had some trouble with Alabama... (ALABAMA) at their stadium tonight... Man I was worried at one point in that game.

Florida pissed me off today... I can't believe that crap.
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:

Sunday, September 07, 2003(Pull Day)

Weight = 167

Deadlifts(460/3!)
    I don't consider this a great set. Sure, it is on par with the 452 for 4 I did a few weeks back, but I would have liked to get 4 reps out of this. It took everything for me to get 3. I may put off maxing on deadlifts for awhile. I'm still not convinced I could hit 510 with how I'm pulling right now. This is still improvement though since I strategically picked the weight so all I had to do was get more than 1 rep for improvement.

Barbell Rows (170/10)
    I'm still sort of holding these at 170 for now.

Hammer Strength Shrug Static Holds (365)
    Here are more static holds that I'm not timing. I just hold on as long as I can.

Pull Ups (BW+30/7.5!)
    This is improvement on the specific grip of what I'm doing them on. Like I said before, the grip varies slightly, so I'm calling this improvement even though I've done 8.5 reps on a different set of bars. I could have possibly counted this at 8, but I decided that I may not have quite cleared the bars on the last rep.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some brown straight hair in a ponytail. She wore some short navy shorts and had nice proportions. Her legs looked fairly decent also.
    2. This one looked a lot like the first chick, but had a dress code violation with some windsuit pants.
    3. This one had a dress code violation with some nearly knee length blue shorts. She wore some brown curly hair in a ponytail. She had nice proportions and was lean.
    4. This one had some short light blue shorts and some black straight hair tied back. She was doing some 5 pound DB "toning" exercise.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Long Shorts. It was kind of a weak day since there really weren't any 9's there. This one though gets an 8.5.

Gym Mysteries:
    1. People kept walking behind me while I was doing pull ups when they just could have walked on the other side of the machine.

Other Stuff:
    1. I'm still not over yesterday.
    2. But, at least the Colts won.
    3. My fantasy football team took a hit though with the Colts not getting much offense though.
    4. My Starting QB Warner passed for a lot, but made so many turnovers that I'm afraid I'll lose a whole ton of points. I still don't know how the scoring is done since this is my first time.
    5. My backup QB Brady looked terrible. 120-some yards and 4 picks with no TD passes? Ouch!
    6. James didnít put up huge stats today, but I did like what I saw. He seemed to be breaking tackles like he used to be able to.
    Big o Boy: Alabama is a tough game at their place. I wouldn't worry too much. I'd say you won the game because Stoops isn't over-conservative. That fake punt was a great play call in my opinion.
    5-9 170

Ryan. I couldnt believe it when I saw the score, and I thought how pissed you must be. Dammit that sucks. I didnt see any of the game. Ill have to read your review of it.

Who do the Boilers have next week? Teh Irish goto the Cesspool of the West for Michigan. I did enjoy the WSU game though. Wow what a finish. YSU won 45-12, so my "home" school held their own against Div II Slippery Rock! LOL.
    " ...if all else fails, just whip out those b'normous biceps!!!!!!! Teh lad33z <3 teh str3ngth!"- McIrish

"An Irishman has an abiding sense of tragedy which sustains him through temporary periods of joy..."

"When a man is in love, is jealous, and has been whipped by the Inquisition, he is no longer himself..."- Voltaire

Yea, that fake-punt was just awesome. Definitely typical though for OU... Stoops has a great special teams program going. Cowboys disappointed me today. I thought with them bringing in the new coach and all it would help a little. But then again, I'm not so sure on how good of a team the Falcons are. I didn't watch the game either, but I know Vick was out, so it made me mad still that they lost.

GREAT deads man... I wish I had your strength here. Do you lift sumo or conventional?

Also, how are you recording your lifts? Do you just do 1 set for each exercise or is that the max lift you had during a few sets in that exercise or what?
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:

excellent PR on them deads -

...glad to see them Colts gave you a smile, that is too bad for the Browns - even Detroit kicked butt,

Tuesday, September 09, 2003(Arm Day)

Weight =167.7

Tricep Extensions (90/11.5)
    These are better than last week. I had to use a flat bench for this instead of an adjustable one due to all the adjustable ones being taken. It still is the same surface on the flat bench as it is on the adjustable bench, but I have to sit backwards on the flat bench so the rack doesn't get in my way for tricep extensions.

DB Bicep Curls (45/11.5!)
    These felt good, but I have been expecting them to go up fairly fast as I get used to the lift again.

Tricep Pushdowns (155/8!)
    These were up from last week and as expected have surpassed my best from last spring.

Hammer Curls (55/7.5!)
    Hammer curls have gotten a little more ugly as of late.

Cybex Ab Crunches (160/13.5!)
    These felt easier this week and it is about time!

Hot Chicks:
    1. I picked some chick off on the way there with long brown hair and some short shorts. I didn't get to see much of her since she was running in the opposite direction on the other side of the street. Her body looked nice though.
    2. This one had some long wavy brown hair in a ponytail and some short blue shorts. She had a mediocre face though and had a little fat, but no cottage cheese.
    3. This one wore some blonde hair in a ponytail and had some short white shorts. She had a nice amount of lean body mass.
    4. This one had some short gray shorts and some beautiful legs. She had an average face with some light brown curly hair tied back. I would have liked to stare at her legs since they looked great.
    5. This one had some very short black shorts and some black straight hair in a ponytail. She was doing some ab work. Her drawback was that she didn't have much lean body mass at all. She was really lean, but skinny. Somehow though, she avoided the anorexic look. This was most likely to her being somewhat short.
    6. This one wore some short red shorts with some nice legs. She had dark brown curly hair tied back.
    7. This one was really short and small. She wore some volleyball shorts and wore some straight blonde hair in a ponytail. I didn't like though how she had to wear a long shirt which takes away the benefit of volleyball shorts.
    8. Another chick wore some volleyball shorts. She was only average looking though. She had some black straight hair tied back. She was only maybe a 7 with the volleyball shorts making her an 8.
    9. I'm in heaven, a THIRD chick in volleyball shorts came by. She had some very nice looking legs with the volleyball shorts being minimum clearance. She had a very nicely shaped behind also which unlike the other chick wasn't covered up by a long shirt. I sort of picked her off as she was walking by. But, then she went on the recumbent bike. WTF!?
    10. This one wore some short black shorts. She had some light brown hair tied back. She was stretching for something. This meant that her already short shorts got about the clearance of underwear when she did her splits and all that. She had nice proportions. There must be something in the water today, because I picked her off too. It was more so of a double-pickoff though since I only caught that because I wanted to take another look at her myself!
    11. This one had some short fire red shorts and some straight blonde hair in a ponytail. She had nice proportions and maybe a slight bit above average amount of lean body mass.

WOW!! WHAT A DAY. Eleven hot chicks were there today and that was without the Tuesday/Thursday regulars Miss Unorthodox DB Laterals and Miss Volleyball Shorts. This is too hard to pick. I'd probably go with the volleyball shorts chick that was on the recumbent bike, but there were a few others not in volleyball shorts that may have bettered her if they too were wearing volleyball shorts. Anyway though, by taking dress into account, Miss Recumbent Bike wins. Her volleyball shorts were nice and tight along with her beautiful behind that looked great through the volleyball shorts. The last blonde chick may have been the best one of the day on looks alone, but her 8.5 isn't as good as the 9 that the volleyball shorts chick had (she would have been an 8 without the volleyball shorts)

Gym Mysteries:

Other Stuff:
    1. I got beaten up pretty bad in the first week of fantasy football. I'm not too worried though. Most of my players just had bad days. Harrison won't have many 40-yard receiving days, and Warner would have generated some decent stats if it wasn't for the 6 fumbles (which ended up with his contribution being negative points). What hurt me the most though was how my players weren't scoring TDs. Many of them had respectable yardage, but no TDs. I'm glad I had Brady benched. What sucks though is that I can't cut him as of right now. I don't think I would anyway. I'll probably wait awhile to see if that Buffalo game was just a fluke or if he is really going to have a bad year. Luckily, I picked up Marc Bulger off waivers a few days back, so I can put him in since Warner has a concussion and probably won't play.
    2. My sternum is bothering me. I hope dips aren't screwing it up. I know MonStar had problems with the sternum from dips.
    3. The White Sox need to take it to the Twins this series. The Twins have the more favorable schedule for the rest of the year.
    4. I had a 3 hour lab that actually took all 3 hours. It sucked. We had 2 straight hours of lecture and then an hour of lab after the lecture.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    clvmike19: Yeah, the game was really bad. What is even worse is that Tiller is still saying Void will be the starting running back. The big problem with Orton is that he is not looking at all his receivers. I could see him locking on to a receiver a few seconds before he threw it from the stands. Another bad thing is that 2 of our receivers caught 87% of the passes or something like that. Taylor Stubblefield had 16 receptions in that game and dropped 3 critical passes at the end of the game. He dropped one on 3rd down, then 4th down on our final series. To make matters worse, he consistently ran routes a yard short on 3rd down. I have a feeling by the time we play you guys, we'll see Kirsch. Kirsch is a lot more mobile than Orton and doesn't favor one or two receivers. We go to Wake Forest this week, which I said was going to be the toughest non-conference game before the season even started. They really beat up NC State last week and won at Boston College the week before. At least we get Arizona the week after that though. Arizona is probably one of the sorriest teams this year from a major conference. (well maybe they are better than IU! haha)

Big o Boy: I think the Cowboys will eventually be good. I'd say their problem right now is that they don't have the players. I lift sumo since I'm probably 70 pounds weaker with conventionals. I only write down one set which is my max effort set. I don't write down warm ups (I don't do them much anyway) and I don't write down my 2nd set after my first max effort set. I do 2 sets for most exercises. However, I have been doing 3 lately on squats due to my leg day only having 4 exercises.

CoCoa: Thanks. I was impressed with the Browns defense. It is rare for Harrison to not have a big day. It seems like he usually always gets at least 100 yards regardless of how well he is defended. I would have liked to see a higher scoring game, but I'm happy that the Colts D may actually win them games this year rather than lose games!
    5-9 170

wow, I wish i had the patience to write such detailed journal as you. You sure do have great "Hot Chick Memory" or do you write this stuff into a notebook lol. keep up the good work
    Stats at 1st March - 7th June

Weight: 171 - 163
    Bodyfat: 15.5% - 10%

Dude.. in Florida, if a girl is wearing shorts, they're volleyball shorts. And most of them are wearing shorts.

Purdue is gonna be a hell of a game. I dont think the Irish will get out of Ann Arbor alive this saturday. It could get ugly up there, unless they pull some more magic out of their asses.

I say Michigan by 10, but I hope not. Gawd I hope not!

As for the Browns we have the Ratbirds (Ravens) who I hate more than Pitt. I hate Michigan too. I feel a disappointing weekend coming up.........

Thursday, September 11, 2003(Legs)

Weight =166.6

Squats (Ass to Floor) (225/7!)
    These felt pretty good today. I got a small scare on the first rep when my descent was a little too fast and I sort of felt things in my right knee from the quick drop. Anyway, I regrouped and did six more reps with solid form which was slightly paused at the bottom of the motion.

1-Legged Calf Raises (2 plates per side / 7!)
    I still have not gotten over a sore foot from last week on this. My right foot was really sore on the inside from where the foot supported my weight. I believe the problem was because on one leg, I usually only use the inside edge of my foot for balance reasons. This causes a fraction of my right foot to support all the weight on it.

Leg Curls (125/11!)
    These felt good. It is nice to not be in a plateau I was stuck in for the longest time on here.

Leg Extensions (175/10)
    These still have some catching up to do from last spring. It is frustrating considering that I made improvement on the other machine over the summer and can't even pick up where I left off on another machine.

Hot Chicks:
    1. This one had some black hair in a ponytail. She had some fat but no cottage cheese so it is all good.
    2. This one had some light brown hair in a ponytail. She wore some short black shorts and had nice proportions.
    3. This one was that small girl from the other day. She wore some short black shorts that were almost as tight as volleyball shorts. She had some blonde hair in a ponytail.
    4. This one had some short navy shorts and some black hair in a ponytail. She had a nice set of legs and I sort of picked either her off or someone that looked just like her. I only got a glance in.
    5. This one had some black hair tied back. She wore short black shorts and had decent looking legs, but used the abductor machine and only had a mediocre face.
    6. This one had some light brown hair in a ponytail. She wore some short blue shorts and was doing abs.
    7. This one was tall and had some brown hair in a ponytail. She wore some short black text on the butt shorts. She had nice proportions similar to the proportions of a volleyball player.
    8. This one looked sort of anorexic because she didn't have any quads or hamstrings. Either way, she meets the guy guidelines of not being fat with at least an average face. Actually though, she probably was still an 8 though since she had a nice face.

The winner of the day goes to Miss Volleyball Player Look Alike. I only got in a glance at her, but she was better than the others that were here. She gets an 8.5 while most were in the 7's.

Gym Mysteries:

Other Stuff:
    1. I had to wait for a squat rack today. But, since all 3 people were actually doing squats, I'm happy and was thinking, "Carry On!".
    2. Some people were doing quarter squats next to me, but one of the guys started talking about full squats. At least he knows they aren't doing them to depth.
    2. Today marks the 2-year anniversary from when we got our cat Zoe. She was the size of my hand back then. I miss my pets when I'm at school. I miss saying, "Should we have some TUNA!" and having her respond with a meow and beg like crazy. Cats have selective memory. They won't respond to their own name, but mention the word "tuna" and they will respond right away.
    3. All human lives are equal and just because one happened to die in a "popular" news event doesn't mean they are more important and deserve more compensation than someone who died in a non-glamorous way.
    4. We play football again tonight. Hopefully on offense, I'll get someone throwing to me that actually throws it in FRONT of me and not behind me. It seems like every time I run down the field they will throw it to where I am the moment the they throw it. Obviously, you have to aim well in front of where the receiver is when you throw it because they will be further down the field by the time the ball gets there. I'm sick of making what seem to be like punt returns on underthrown balls. I feel like I'm supposed to wave my hand and call a fair catch. I feel if someone could lob the ball down field, I could outrun nearly anyone to it.
    Strider2: Yeah, I write stuff down in my notebook. I'd have to have an insane memory to remember all that! I try to abbreviate things as much as possible so it isn't so obvious! That would be embarrassing if someone read about themselves in my notebook. (I'm still thinking some day someone will wander on here from my gym and read about themselves in my hot chick report.)

RG570: That sounds good to me!

clvmike19: I'd say both teams didn't look good last week. Of course, at least Notre Dame won for your sake. The big game for Purdue will be this Saturday against Wake Forest. If they can win there, their season might be saved. If they lose and go 0-2 however, I'm afraid they will just fall apart. The bad thing is that Wake looks really good and Purdue may be in trouble. At least Tiller admitted he did a few things wrong last game. (that is like the first time he has ever admitted it since he always blamed the players for his mistakes before) He would say things to the tune of "Yeah, that blocked punt and blocked field goal both ran back for touchdowns hurt us, but our defense should have made a play on that 4th down." That was from the Iowa game last year where that happened. In fact, the defense stopped them on 4th down with about 3 minutes to go, then Iowa got it back after we went 3 and out and scored a TD to win.

I'd probably agree with your "Michigan by 10" prediction. It looks like it will depend on how Michigan can stop the run. If they tackle like Washington State, it definitely will be a game. Why are you worried about Baltimore so much? They looked bad (at least by the score I saw) on week 1.
    5-9 170