Thread: Pull ups Vs Chin ups

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Pull ups Vs Chin ups

Hi everyone

I've been training now for about 7 months and am looking to add a few more exercises to my routine. On by back days i want to add a body weight exercise but don't know which to add, either pull ups or chin ups

What are the advantages of each of the exercises?

Thanks for any help

Matt

My first post here
    Slinkie172 (at) hotmail (dot) com

It depends on how you're defining "pull ups" and "chin ups". When I went to high school, they defined it as having an overhand and underhand grip, respectively. But that isn't the only definition. Here, it's safest to specify the grip so that everyone knows what you mean. (ie, "curl-grip chins")

I do pullups (with an overhand grip) on my back day, but it's good to experiment with different grips!

Oh, and welcome to WBB. The best place to get smart about lifting and eating.
    Last edited by Scott S; 08-10-2003 at 03:08 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    okie dokie

i mean the different grips overhand and underhand grips. Also, isn't your hand position different for the two different types, ie overhand grip hands should be a quite a bit wider than shoulder width and underhand should be around shoulder width.

Do they target different muscles? would a good idea be to alternate them, one back day do overhand, the next do underhand?

thanks for your help

Matt
    Slinkie172 (at) hotmail (dot) com

In reality, whether you use a wide grip or a narrow grip, you're still working the same muscles. I prefer shoulder-width grip on both overhand and underhand pullups.

I just did my back workout, so it'll be in my journal in a couple minutes.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...440#post590440
    Last edited by Scott S; 08-10-2003 at 06:05 PM.