The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Have you ever suffered any mercury related problems from eating too much tuna?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 7.14%
  • No

39 92.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A tuna/mercury poll for all!

I just read the other 2 tuna/mercury threads in diet and nutrition, and I'm seeing this subject come up time and time again.

But what I'm not seeing come up time and time again is anybody with any problems due to mercury.

I'd say most people here eat 5+ cans a week MINIMUM, I eat up to 3 cans a day, and have been for a year.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i can't remember

isn't memory loss a sign of mercury toxication?
    Size is SEXY!

As long as there's raniali nudity, its all good. -- PMDL, my idol
    My God. I wish, if only for a day, i had hooters like that to play with. -- TCD, my other idol
    It is as stable as my mindset around your breasts. -- robboe
    Good god raniali....you have an amazing physique. -- JustinASU
    Whenever raniali posts in a thread, somebody is bound to get aroused, thats just the way it is. -- Y2A

~Anything worth doing at all IS worth doing well.~
    ~You all laugh because I am diFFereNt; I laugh because you're all the same.~
    ~Have no fear of perfection; you will never reach it. -- Salvador Dali, Diary of A Genius~

i don't really think you are going to see until it comes to time to reproduce. women in particular are susceptible to giving birth to children with birth defects, but it's not a big leap to say it may affect your little swimmers as well.

it's not quite liek swallowing straight quicksilver.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    I know people who had. A while ago we where having a discussion on this at the HST forum and when I and others talked about the concerns one poster was very quick to state that he was on a tuna and rice only diet for one year and nothing wrong happened to him. Curiously, after we started talking about possible symptoms of chronic mercury poisoning the guy actually came out and said that during that year he developed a constant shaking in his hands that he couldn't find what the case was. Guess what's one of the symptoms we where talking about? Mercury functions as a very potent neurotoxin, it's no joke. The study I referenced in cats showed that they became letargic after a few months on a tuna only diet, lost energy, and lost motor skills, including coordination. Other more serious symptoms at a further stage will be muscle wastying, loss of strenght, memory, etc....

The mother of a friend of mine also developed a very weird nervous disease, kind of like Parkinsons, after years of only eating fish and not meat. Two serving a day she had. A friend of this same friend who is a fisherman was ordered by his doctor to completely avoid fish after he developed symptoms of poisoning. Again, two or three servings per day.

Obviously they weren't eating only tuna.

So if your only concern is dying a fulminant death, then fear not and eat at will. If you're somewhat scared of developing a neural disease latter and life that will make you lose your hability to function as a normal human been by your own, then maybe there's reason for concern. Like I said before, there's no research proving that a steady long term low level intake of mercury is safe so in this particular case I think the benefit of doubt is in the side of the cautious faction.
    Last edited by restless; 06-17-2003 at 03:46 PM.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Damn it. I thought the pool was about if there is a reason for concern or not. Please disregard my yes vote. If I had any, I didn't notice, then again, I never was much of a fish eater.

Yikes... fish has made up at least 3/4 of my meat intake for the last two weeks.

But then I'm stupid and forgetful, anyway, so I have no idea if it's affecting me.

Mercury never leaves your system completely, like other heavy metals right?

Well, looks like I'll be cutting back on the old tuna from now on.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Overtrainer.
    The people who posted "YES" please state exactly what your diagnosis by a medical professional was.

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by WestyHeadbanger
    The people who posted "YES" please state exactly what your diagnosis by a medical professional was.
    Maybe you should read the the thread before you post.....

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    And of course, I should read the pool title properly before voting....

Banned
    Originally posted by Manveet
    Mercury never leaves your system completely, like other heavy metals right?

Well, looks like I'll be cutting back on the old tuna from now on.
    correct. mercury is a bioaccumulative toxin.

MACHINE
    The risk with tuna comes in the large fresh tuna steaks rather than the cans. Of course, if you eat more than one can every day of your life, the risk is increased, so be wary. However, I'd only be concerned with the tasty tuna steaks, and not consume more than one every month or so.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

why is that gino?
    hmmmmmmm... will i ever be big enough?

Age- 17
    Height- 5'10"
    Weight- 160

RAW lifts
    Bench- 225(1)
    Deadlift-350(1)
    Squat-285(1)

I believe this would be due to the size of the fish. The larger tuna are probably used for tuna steaks where as the smaller ones will be canned. The larger the fish the more chance it has to build up mercury in it's system, which would then be eaten by humans.

The larger the fish the more it eats, which in turn could mean more mercury in it's system. This is the reason that the fish with the higest mercury content are large fish that are high on the food chain.
    Last edited by bradley; 06-19-2003 at 04:56 PM.

Could a symptom be no ****ing gains? Otherwise, I'm not going to sweat it. 3 cans almost every day for 3 years now, 4 cans a day now that I'm on cycle, and I'm fine, thanks. If I can't have kids as a result, all the better, I hate kids.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Speaking of the size of the fish, I have heard that the mercury levels in larger species and especially predatory species of fish are far higher than that of the tuna, let alone tuna that is to be canned. Think about that next time you bite into some shark, marlin, or swordfish.

How much mercury is in dolphin?

Originally posted by Budiak
    Speaking of the size of the fish, I have heard that the mercury levels in larger species and especially predatory species of fish are far higher than that of the tuna, let alone tuna that is to be canned. Think about that next time you bite into some shark, marlin, or swordfish.
    Agreed, and unless you are eating multiple cans of tuna on a daily basis there is really no need to worry about it.

How much mercury is in dolphin?
    I could not find a specific number, but dolphin was included on the list of fish that contained an average of .3-1.5 ppm of Hg.

Blue veined member !
    LMAO @ budiak, geez I`ve been eating at least 2 portions of tuna a day for the past 4 years..come to think about it i suffer with short term memory loss constantly, i`ll pick something up and ask someone where it is, I`ll be out, go home for something and leave again without it etc.. DARN TUNA !!!
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

Wannabebig Member
    The type & sizeof the fish is very important, I recently read a study of this (no I can't remember what website), that said the Mercury problem is associated with the large tuna species like Yellowfin (10 parts per million), the small species Skipjack (cheapest) has the same mercury content as other sea fish (I think its about 1 part per million) and shouldn't represent a significant health issue. I've been eating about 300g (11oz) every day for 3 years and I've not experienced any sidddddddddddeeeeeeee efffffffffectsssss.

In short, just eat Skipjack and you'll be OK

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    i eat 1 to 2 cans per day. No problems yet, but this is some sh-tty news...

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Wannabebig Member
    i eat one can of tuna a day, have been doing so for the last 6 months irregardless of the other stuff i eat, no ill effects here....

i get protein from other sources as well....tuna gets dull if you eat too much of it every day..i eat enough to just look forward to my meals, whatever they are
    I'm the kind of guy who likes to eat cereal in the morning while watching tv in my undershorts.
    -Roger Clemens

Wannabebig Member
    Typical canned Tuna has trace amounts of Mercury. There is more harmful chemicals in a typical loaf of white bread than there is in a can of tuna.

Originally posted by Rudee
    Typical canned Tuna has trace amounts of Mercury. There is more harmful chemicals in a typical loaf of white bread than there is in a can of tuna.
    Could you elaborate in this please.

Since I'm hurt, I'm not currently lifting, but before I got hurt (like 2 years ago), I was eating 3-4 cans a day, everyday. I heard nothing but good things about Tuna. I would wait until it was on sale for like 3/1$ and buy 100 cans (no sh*t, I would actually buy like 100). The look on the checkout girl's face when I would wheel in the cart was priceless......

If tuna does contain dangerous amounts of mercury, I better start writing my will now.......

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by bradley

Could you elaborate in this please.
    Just a different perspective on what we deem to be healty foods.
    Last edited by Rudee; 08-07-2003 at 05:07 PM.