Thread: Mechanics for squats

Mechanichs for squats

what are some things to keep in mind while doing squats, what are some important techniques that will help improve my squats

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    probably the most important thing to remember it that you squat from your hips.

make sure your belt is tight and secure, get your back nice tight and arched and unrack the weigth and walk back slowly.

stabilize yourself spread your feet out to your desired width and stay tiht through the entire movement, learn to push your abs against the belt for extra stabilization and support.

when you lower yourself dont drop, the first thing that should bend should be your hips and not your knees, if your knees bend first your doing it wrong.

start the movement by sticking your but out and back and lower yourself down to parralel then explode back up.

never let your knees go past your toes, when you do that this puts uneccessary stress on then and can cause injury.

look up to help keep your back straight and from falling forward.

spread the floor with your feet and push your knees out, this helps prevent them from buckling inwards on heavy sets or when you reach failure.

and the number one thing to do with squats is to actualy do them. get in there under the rack and put as much effort, no even more effort into them just as you would your bench press and curl, they will give you great results when use correctly and effectively.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

thanx corey that helped a lot man

Don't look in the mirror with heavy weight.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    belt?
    w00t

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by GonePostal
    belt?
    I was wondering what was that...tuttut

Well if you are a competing powerlifter you will most likely be using a belt on all heavy attempts. I haven't ever but probably will sometime soon.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Here's a pretty cool presentation on squatting

http://danjohn.org/squat101_files/frame.html

As for the belt....I'd avoid using it except on your heaviest work set. Squats are going to work your entire torso region as your abs and back have to support the weight. If you get too used to a belt then those areas won't develop as well.