The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

How long to rest ?

I am a furniture mover I am working out all the time and i have gained muscle over the past few months from probably some supplements but I am wondering if because I am using those muscle all the time if they ar just not going to grown anymore or should I go to the gym as well?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you mean just working-out by going to work, then yea go to the gym. I've done hard labor my entire life untill recently and I'm not that big. If you start going to the gym or lifting at home, start slow, and get lots of rest inbetween muscle groups. If I recall correctly when I did roofing I lifted weights but I only did chest like twice a week. Now I do chest every other day but I don't overkill, I recover fairly quick also because I don't do any other physical activity besides my workouts. So yes, you should, just space out those muscle groups so you can rest since you do hard labor at work. Goodluck to you.

Wannabebig Member
    thank you for the advice i am new to all this so i like all the adivce i can get

"i _only_ did chest twice a week"....

Wannabebig Member
    so should i go to the gym twice a week and should i take creatine to

you should do whatever feels best and gives you the results you're looking for.

If you're looking at improving your body, I would go to a gym. Start out slowly. Judging from you thread title I'm assuming you're curious about the amount of rest you need between going to a gym and moving furniture all day. Get at least 8 hours if possible. As far as working out, you really only need to be in the gym 1 to 1.5 hours each day you work out. Any more than that and your body starts spinning its wheels without getting anywhere.

Try working out every body part 3 days a week. Only do 2-3 sets per muscle group. Do that for a minimum of 4 weeks. Once you get your endurance up switch to a more standard routine. Lift 4 days a week but do each body part only once. You'll also want to increase the amount of sets you do for each muscle group. Other key factors will be to get a ton of rest. And consume more calories than you burn per day. As well as taking in a lot of protein.

If you ease into it, the combo of work and going to the gym can be managed without running yourself into the ground.

should i take creatine
    Creatine will give your body a little boost when you're in the gym. But I wouldn't worry about that just yet. I would get yourself into a good balanced routine and then start looking into suppliments.
    Last edited by Tim Nissen; 08-04-2003 at 10:38 PM.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Well my schedule is that it is hard to get to the gym when I am working 10 hours straight a day. You have to remember that I am lifting pianos and we dont really get a break during the day excpet driving form job to job. We dont even stop for lunch we eat as we go. I try to go to the gym at least once a weekend to do some heavy lifting so my muscles are being used and I wont get sore the first day back to work. Before I started this job I was going to the gym everyday.

here if u dont have much time try doing a split like this

Day 1- upperbody
    day2-rest
    day3-rest
    day4-legs
    day5-upperody-
    day6-rest
    day7-rest

every week switch it up from doing elgs twice a week and upperoby once a week

This will requir only 3 times a weeek to the gym and if u dont wanna do legs its only 1 or 2 times a week just make sure to progress every time u go to the gym so u stimulate muscl growth

Wannabebig Member
    Thats geat I appreacitae it, I do allot of walking everyday taking thing in and out of houses. Some things are like a squat dead lift walking out of a house with a 1000 lb piano on your back.
    So I should go up in weight each time I go back to the gym?
    Have any suggestion in amounts of reps?
    In case I havent said so I am doing a strong man comp next month.

Originally posted by Doug T
    So I should go up in weight each time I go back to the gym?
    Go up in weight when you're performing the last rep on your last set with ease.

Originally posted by Doug T
    Have any suggestion in amounts of reps?
    I would shoot for 8-10 reps per set. Since you're fairly active I wouldn't do anymore than 3 sets per exercise until your body starts to adapt and increase in terms of endurance.

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Wannabebig Member
    Great thanks

Originally posted by Dedicated
    I only did chest like twice a week. Now I do chest every other day but I don't overkill, I recover fairly quick also because I don't do any other physical activity besides my workouts. .

ahhhhh!

COME BACK HERE!!!
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

I do chest every other day but I don't overkill
    It's funny how one little post can tarnish a person's credibility :evillaugh

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry I did have aquestion but sorry it wasnt put in the general area forum

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    Originally posted by Tim Nissen

It's funny how one little post can tarnish a person's credibility :evillaugh
    I do whole body every other day and I have no problems whatsoever.

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by restless

I do whole body every other day and I have no problems whatsoever.
    Yep! I do whole body, twice a day, every other day, except weekends, no problem here either
    Life's too short to be small

You may not be having trouble doing every body part twice a week. But you may also not be seeing the peak results you could if you rested yourself more. There's a reason the majority of BB only do each body part once, maybe twice, a week. Just something to consider

Originally posted by Tank23

Yep! I do whole body, twice a day, every other day, except weekends, no problem here either
    Are you being sarcastic?

I hope so

Originally posted by Tank23

Are you real??
    To get good at most things takes 2-4 years i.e BodyBuilding, Martial Arts, Musical Instrements ect.
    To Master it, takes a life time - Buff Stuff

The answer to every query is, of course, "squats". - drew

BUFF

Gen_chat worst nightmare
    You may not be having trouble doing every body part twice a week. But you may also not be seeing the peak results you could if you rested yourself more. There's a reason the majority of BB only do each body part once, maybe twice, a week. Just something to consider
    Yes there is. They don't need to rely on frequent enough training stimulus to mantain protein synthesis in the muscle because the drugs they take do this for them.

Your once a week concept is not the be all end all of traning, nor does it actually have any kind of evidence that I would consider credible supporting it. Split routines are not the only valid way to train.

And for the record, my gains have been a lot better, in all aspects, from fat loss to muscle gains, since I do everything at least three times a week and so have been the ones of most at the HST board.

One question for you. What makes you think that doing 3 sets 3 X week per muscle group would be any more taxing than doing 9 sets once per week for the same muscle groups?
    Last edited by restless; 08-06-2003 at 02:57 PM.

It's funny how one little post can tarnish a person's credibility
    Wow lighten up. ALL my friends workout every other day, it's just the way I've always done it. Everyone has different workout routines.

The Tuna Tempter
    Originally posted by BUFF STUFF

Are you real??
    Listen mate, I'm far from a newbie.

..and no, Tim Nissen, I wasn't being sarcastic.

I bet you both that my gains training like this will definitely beat yours training each bodypart once a week. I've discovered that this method of training is far superior to a once a week routine.

...and when did I say I was training to failure each workout?

Sounds like you guys are the bloody newbies.
    Life's too short to be small

The Truth
    Name the pro bodybuilders that train only once a week. List a source too, I'd really like to see this.