Thread: what do i do now - going to start weight training

the lil engine that could chops's Avatar

what do i do now - going to start weight training

i'm going to start weight training soon, which i have never done regularly. i'm not sure how i should approach this considering:

- just lost about 6 lbs in 5 weeks eating about 1200 cals per day (sometimes a little more or little less) . 25% fats, rest is carb and protein balanced. doing cardio 30-45 minutes about 5-6x per week. current weight about 105 and 24% bf ( might be lower - this was checked before my weight loss). more details are in my journal http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...hreadid=34905. i am female.

-i want to be 20% bf or less by the end of this year. i hope to maintain my 105 weight.

-training for marathon occuring in mid october according to this schedule http://www.ushalf.com/traiAdvanced.htm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTIONS:

1)should i continue dieting to lose bf before i start weight training? i see in a lot of cases that this is considered more efficien than trying to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time.

2) do i need to modify macro/ calories, bearing in mind i don't want to gain weight

3) i would guess that the marathon training will be the only cardio i should do?

4) should i only just do upper body and abs and do weight training for legs after i'm done w/ marathon in oct?

TIA
    Last edited by chops; 08-14-2003 at 06:59 PM.

I'm not an expert but I think you will find that the weight training will help you reduce bodyfat faster.

Hey chops,

Here are my opinions:

QUESTIONS:

1)should i continue dieting to lose bf before i start weight training? i see in a lot of cases that this is considered more efficien than trying to lose fat/gain muscle at the same time.

The way it "seems" to be is that the newer you are to weight training the more you can lose fat/gain muscle at the same time. As you become more and more advanced it gets harder to do both at the same time but at your level I don't think a cutting/bulking type of approach is necessary. I think you should keep doing what you are doing, but add weight training and the approximate amount of calories you'd burn from weight training to offset. Research shows that if you weight train while doing diet and aerobics you will lose less muscle (or even gain muscle) than if you did not weight train. So for optimal results to achieve your goals you should be dieting, doing aerobic work, and weight training.

Just as a quick sidenote, here's something to ponder:
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/DietExStudy.html
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WT%26End.html
    http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html

2) do i need to modify macro/ calories, bearing in mind i don't want to gain weight

IMO, you shouldn't be so focused on weight. Many women focus on weight and give it more attention than it deserves. It really isn't important as far as appearance and or performance provided it's the right kind of weight and focusing too much on it will hinder you more than help. But that aside, I think you should continue taking in the same amount of calories but add the approx. # (and maybe a little more) to compensate for what you burn from the weight training you will be adding. I do think you shold be eating more though if you want to perform optimally in the marathon.

3) i would guess that the marathon training will be the only cardio i should do?

Yeah.

4) should i only just do upper body and abs and do weight training for legs after i'm done w/ marathon in oct?

You should do weight training for the legs now as well. It should actually help your performance. Maybe this will give you some other ideas on training for your marathon as well http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic.html on the right Sorry if you've seen it already since it's a pretty common website thrown around here.
    Last edited by Shane; 08-14-2003 at 07:44 PM.
    "you are like my yoda." - chops

"you are not like yoda at all!" - chops

"shh...I'm only gay for pay" - ECTX

"no matter how much you lift, just remember that on the other side of the world, a little chinese girl is warming up with your max" - bIgHwN86

My Journal

Shaver of Secret Places baldguy's Avatar
    Originally posted by Shane
    IMO, you shouldn't be so focused on weight. Many women focus on weight and give it more attention than it deserves. It really isn't important as far as appearance and or performance provided it's the right kind of weight and focusing too much on it will hinder you more than help. But that aside, I think you should continue taking in the same amount of calories but add the approx. # (and maybe a little more) to compensate for what you burn from the weight training you will be adding. I do think you shold be eating more though if you want to perform optimally in the marathon.
    I agree. If you put on some muscle, while keeping your weight the same, your performance would probably benefit greatly.
    -Baldguy

Newest member of the WBBB

If God is a woman, he better wear a thong.

Hookt on foniks wurkd for me.

arguing over the internet is like competing in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still a retard...
    -BigCorey

thanks for the input guys

i know the weight doesn't really indicate my fitness level. if i gain wieght in muscle and lose inches, i won't complain at all, but if i maintain weight and lose bf%, i would be ecstatic! it's superficial but the number is something i value. i was just thinking if there's a strategy for to kill two birds.

for my weight loss, i had used variable of 12 to figure out maintence calories, then i used excercise to create about ~500 daily deficit.

what caloric intake should i be considering now?

I think the recommended thing to do is increase it, this way in the long term you can keep making muscle gains and lose body fat consistently. By how much I'm not sure though sorry.

But...if you keep your calories the same your body will have no choice but to build muscle and burn more calories, thus you will lose fat. This is only because you're just beginning the weight training. This isn't the best method though cause after like 2 months you will plateau and you will need to start eating more to put on more muscle. It works though, and it's why I eat so little and am able to put on muscle and lose fat. After like 2 more months though, I'll hit a plateau, I know I will and you will also if you do this most likely. But hey, it works, after that you just need to find a way to get around the plateau.

Everyones body is different, but when weight training is first introduced or reintroduced after a long off period, huge gains in muscle without adjusting diet are very common. To keep the gains consistent diet needs to be adjusted though, this is why not everyone can look like a bodybuilder. I'm sure whatever you do will work as long as you work hard cause you are just starting with the weights. Goodluck.

from your pictures, I seriously doubt you were/are 24% bf @ 105 lbs.!
    My profile picture is about 5 years old, I'll get around to taking some progress pics eventually.

Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
    from your pictures, I seriously doubt you were/are 24% bf @ 105 lbs.!
    thanks!

ya, you know i'm quite puzzled about it myself because i don't think i look 24 either. in the past i have always been moderately active . i didn't really watch my that closely, but i wasn't a glutton either. now that i'm very active...doesn't make sense.

i got my bf taken at 24 hr with calipers, so unless they are complete idiots, numbers don't lie